carbon monoxide problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dont quote me on this but i think alarms go off @ about 6-8 ppm, 10-15 you should not be exposed to and 15 on up symptoms start, as said earlier dizzy, nausea, blue lips, flu like symptoms. Never had a co problem but on warmer days (mid 40's +) I have a heat gun to get chimney warm to draft right. Was told due to lack of air inside, newer homes so tight that when some run their clothes dryer it causes problems. The theory is when dryer runs it blows air out, needs to draw air in from somewhere with todays well made doors and windows it comes from the next weekest point. A f/f friend of mine told me not long ago they ran a call to a house 3 people down, one sick, readings on thier meter was over 700ppm at the door way when they entered. Sent them all to hyperbarrick chamber. Came from backed up furnace.

The older battery operated co detectors had a cartridge the continuously absorbs co. Even very small amounts would saturate the cartridge over time and cause them to alarm. you can take the cartridge outside and let it air out for a few hours and you would be good to go.

Nighthawk with a digital display is the only way to go IMO.

Most people will not experience any symptoms from prolonged exposure to CO levels of approximately 1 to 70 ppm. As CO levels increase and remain above 70 ppm, symptoms become more noticeable and can include headache, fatigue and nausea. You are allowed to work in a 35 ppm average for 8 hours (OSHA rule)
3000 ppm is when it starts to get deadly fast.
I think most units will alarm around 50 ppm. and can not alarm at levels below 35 ppm.

I have been in the fire service for 24 years and take some offense to some of the comments about the fire department. I don't know of any that would go in a residence and snoop around looking to write someone up.
I go on a lot of CO calls and would always be happy (and do often) to stop by with our monitor and check things for someone who thinks they have problems. Believe it or not we are here to help people.

All smoke detectors and CO detectors should be replaced at LEAST every 10 years if not sooner.

I will climb down from my horse.

On the back of mine, it says "Alarm Response Time: 400ppm within 4-15 minutes" and then just below that..."Made in China"

Ian

I'd say that most of the CO detectors made for residential use are not that accurate, not calibrated correctly....need a high quality Fluke or Bacharach meter for true readings,and their price is pretty salty for the average residential user. All unvented gas heating appliances recommend opening a window, or providing some fresh air relief to prevent the buildup of CO. And i've installed a lot of them over the years. As far as gas ranges are concerned...never understood that concept eiether, no CO concerns are ever listed with installation/owner's manuals.

:taped::taped:

I despise unvented gas fireplaces, logs, etc....just death waiting to happen.

LOL! I'm having a house built in southern Va, and the builder was working on another when we contracted with him. This other house is log, 1-1/2 story with loft and 20'+ peak above the living room. While showing us the house we noticed a wooden "hearth" being constructed against an exterior wall. When questioned, he explained that it was for a propane fireplace and was to be veneered with stone. I asked "vented or unvented" and his reply was "unvented". When I commented that I would NEVER have one of those because of the moisture and smell, his comment was "we've put them in before, and you can't tell that they're unvented". This was July....construction continued, and the hearth was completed and the unit was installed.

When getting an update about my construction that winter, he mentioned it being cold and using that fireplace for heat. It had water running down the interior walls. LOL! :)censored:dumba$$)They ripped it out, hearth and all, and put in a vented unit.

This has been and interesting thread, and caused me to do some thinking. My new house has a centrally located, masonary, 2 flue chimney. The woodstove is in the basement, and a B-vent propane stove will be in the livingroom for decor more than function. Primary heat is via air source heatpump. I'm not anticipating any issues, but the house is tight, and both flues have cleanouts in the basement, as is the airhandling unit. I could forsee smoke going out one flue and possibly down the other and into the basement via the cleanout.

The older battery operated co detectors had a cartridge the continuously absorbs co. Even very small amounts would saturate the cartridge over time and cause them to alarm. you can take the cartridge outside and let it air out for a few hours and you would be good to go.

Nighthawk with a digital display is the only way to go IMO.

Most people will not experience any symptoms from prolonged exposure to CO levels of approximately 1 to 70 ppm. As CO levels increase and remain above 70 ppm, symptoms become more noticeable and can include headache, fatigue and nausea. You are allowed to work in a 35 ppm average for 8 hours (OSHA rule)
3000 ppm is when it starts to get deadly fast.
I think most units will alarm around 50 ppm. and can not alarm at levels below 35 ppm.

I have been in the fire service for 24 years and take some offense to some of the comments about the fire department. I don't know of any that would go in a residence and snoop around looking to write someone up.
I go on a lot of CO calls and would always be happy (and do often) to stop by with our monitor and check things for someone who thinks they have problems. Believe it or not we are here to help people.

All smoke detectors and CO detectors should be replaced at LEAST every 10 years if not sooner.

I will climb down from my horse.

Well said my brother!!! I never have a problem checking co calls Oh yeah and thats what I get paid to do so I do it.

I have a 3 story outside chimney on my house and a alladin fireplace insert in the basement. This chimney has a draft reversal problem. When its cold out and I want to light a fire I have to put a box fan blowing into the fireplace insert to get the draft going up insted of down. One day I let the fire burn down to nothing with a lot of ash in the insert. Next thing I know the CO detectors are going off.

Well what happend was that a few coals were smouldering in the ash and didn't keep the chimney hot enough to keep the draft going up. The draft reversed and the gasses went onto the house.

Now when I let the fire go out I always stir it a few times and keep the vents open to make sure it burns out fast.

I know a chimney thought the interior of the house would fix this problem but $$$$$$$$$$.

don't feel bad...that's a common problem with chimneys on the outside of the house.

is it lined and insulated? it might help keeping the back draft at a minimum.

When it comes to co, if you think there is a problem, or your co alarm is going off, call the fire dept. That's what we are here for, if there are no symptoms, we will come with the flow of traffic, and use two highly accurate meters to determine where it's coming from and if it's safe. If there is readings, we get the gas company, or furnace people out there to figure out the problem. I wouldn't risk my families and my safety for no reason. I've been to two serious co calls this year with parts per million in the 700's, Very high. Someone did mention that the detectors have a shelf life, and should be replaced after a while. It's good to air them out in fresh air every once in a while because some houses have a small amount of co in them, and the sensor get's full. Good luck

Member IAFF Local 1548

Last edited:
As has been stated, the CO detector will continue to collect particles of CO small or large. After prolonged exposure to even small amounts of CO the sensor will become hindered of its true capabilities. Haven't read anywhere that there is a way to clean off the sensor (manufacture probably worried about liabilities regarding tainted sensors, yada, yada, yada). Just safer to get an new updated CO detectors and write them off with the taxes.

As for having a new detector that malfunctions, I would contact the manufacture and advise them of the situation. Would be in there best interest to investigate their product, and remedy the situation ASAP.

just a bit about co poisning

wood or any other carbon based fuel that has burned off all of its volitles will give off pure co ,that is why charcoal is so dangerous in an enclosuer.i have ben co poisned 2 times,once by coal in a forge and by burning fatty acid.i have a 2000$ portible co meter and air anilizer at work it goes off at 35 ppm.co the service thruck i had a couple years ago had a exaust leak .the meter read 225 ppm in the cab of the truck and you could not smell the gas.had the same problem with the forge once the coal quit smoking was when i got poisined could not smell a thing

Back