Carlton File O Plates

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just wanted to ask if anybody has had experience with these? My main question is "Will it work on brands of chain other than Carlton?" The main contender around here is Oregon, but I like the way Carlton advises to maintain the rakers on a saw chain. Thanks in advance!

Yes!!!!

They work just fine with Oregon chain of the same size. Mainly used just for the rakers, never bother with the angle portion.

Hello,
I'm bringing up quite an old thread.
I am looking for one Carlton File-O Plate to fit my Stihl MS171's chain.
On paper it should be a 3/8" PMM3 x 0.50" (Picco Micro Mini 3) , I think this refers to a different (lower ?) pitch
of the cutters, otherwise described as 'low-profile'.
Only other info I have on the chain is the 3/8" value in mm. = 9,32 and its thickness of 1,3 mm. or .050"
Unfortunately these fab-plates are not for sale in Italy, nor do they seem to be common anywhere else in Europe.
I checked with Baileys, who sells them for cheap but their minimum order to consider overseas shipping is $ 90 and at the moment I don't need to buy anything else from them.
Amazon has them for sale, but the item costs more then ten times as much as on Baileys, plus shipment: a real
rip-off.
To me the Carlton File-O Plate has the appeal of simplicity: a guide is all I need, otherwise I'll keep filing the
chains freehand. Besides, I think is one of the few tools that allows to check the depth gauges in relation with the
cutters wear, which is paramount. For the same use Stihl offers their 2 in 1 Easy Sharpener, which I find a bit on the overpriced side, as many of the brand's accessories.
So, I am looking for a kind soul that can help me from overseas, buying a couple of the right sized plates,
chucking them in a padded envelope and putting it in the mail. I offer to transfer my payment in advance, preferably
through PayPal, so there's no risk of loosing money for whoever agrees to help me.
I know it's a big favour I'm asking, but a few minutes of your time would really help me solve my problem.
No hurry, either, as falling season is ending in a few days here, but I wish to be prepared for next autumn.
If anybody can be so goodhearted to help me, please get in touch at <vernocchi (at) g m a i l (dot) com> to
exchange addresses, or post a private conversation in this forum.
Thank you very much in advance.

Latest posts

Back