Carlton sp4012 4x4 w/ Kubota Experiences

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stumper63

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Anyone received their sp4012 4x4 with Kubota engine yet? How do you like it so far? How's the turning radius with the 4x4, pretty decent on pavement, does it chew up the turf any on lawns when turning? Any binding in tight turns on pavement, since no differential or way for inside wheel to slip? Any noticeable creeping while grinding since no grounding stake? Happy with the Kubota diesel? Should be a torquey bugger. Is backfill blade useful? Seems a little small. Is the visibility OK when operating? Looks like the radiator may obstruct view a little. Trying to get a demo out here in northern OR, but nobody has one yet. Does the 4x4 operate full-time, or can you disengage it, tho not sure why you would want to. Do they use a different hydraulic pump or different size pully or belt to jackshaft on the Kubota? The web pictures show the belt guard completely covering the hydraulic pump on the Kubota equipped model which is different from smaller engine 4012. Seriously looking at one of these.

Around $3000 more for the Kubota than Vanguard or Lombardini. Worth the expense?

Thanks for your time.

I am supposed to demo one next week. I ill keep you posted. Bigstumps is supposed to get his this week and I am sure he will let us know how it goes.

Regards
Kirk

Thanks forreststump. Hope to hear from you and bigstumps soon. Seems like there's a few of us out there anxiously waiting for the review. Thanks for the post.

4012 carlton wow.

just picked one up this week. had a 252 and now i have the 4012 kubota. with just 5 hours on it. grinds over 2x faster than the 252. visibility of the wheel is blocked by the radiator and rubber curtain shield. turns great on turf, have not tried it on wet ground yet. turns on pavement good and the 4x4 drive is great to have. it climbs through ditches and over mulch piles no problem. the blade is a must have. it pushes so good that you could almost grade with the blade. it pushes better than i would have ever expected. i decided to get this engine because of all the talk of how good it was. very strong, lots of torque, and good on gas. quieter than my 252 Kohler engine. its worth the money for this machine. getting this engine on this grinder makes it a mid size machine compared to the 352. next step up from here is much more expensive.
if you are thinking of getting one, there might be a delay at the factory. something about vacation time and waiting for engine parts or mounts. not many dealers had them that i know of.
i was wondering that when the polychain slips, does it make any noise. i haven't heard any slipping yet, but i could smell them every now and then. unless its the paint on the turbo burning off yet.

I bet it's paint burning. The poly-chain (I think has teeth) . Call Carlton and ask a tech to make sure.

On a carlton machine the poly chain has teeth and should not slip, if it does it will be ruined. The poly chain drives the lower end cutter wheel. The upper main drive belt might need to be tightened up after a few hours break in. Check your owners manual. As for burning smell could be muffler paint or engine paint hardening. Good luck with your new machine.

I have the 4012 with a lombardini, it had a burning smell for a while. It's just the new getting broke in. Mine doesnt do it anymore and everything still works so i assume thats what it was.

Got to demo a Kubota 4x4 4012 yesterday. Awesome machine. Was brand new unit at Carlton factory in SC. Noticed burning smell, was paint on turbo burning in.
Had a question for you that have them already:

It seems to me the front guard on the cutter wheel protrudes out too far past wheel. It prevents you from cutting deep in one pass, since guard gets caught on top of stump. Have any of you cut the guard back a few inches so that the cutter wheel sticks past the guard a few inches? My 252 is that way from factory. If I get the 4012 I'm sure I'll cut it back. Carlton rep said they have to have it out that far for insurance purposes. You could remove the whole guard, but that seems a little dangerous to me. What do you think?
Stumper63

modify curve of deflector

Got to demo a Kubota 4x4 4012 yesterday. Awesome machine. Was brand new unit at Carlton factory in SC. Noticed burning smell, was paint on turbo burning in.
Had a question for you that have them already:

It seems to me the front guard on the cutter wheel protrudes out too far past wheel. It prevents you from cutting deep in one pass, since guard gets caught on top of stump. Have any of you cut the guard back a few inches so that the cutter wheel sticks past the guard a few inches? My 252 is that way from factory. If I get the 4012 I'm sure I'll cut it back. Carlton rep said they have to have it out that far for insurance purposes. You could remove the whole guard, but that seems a little dangerous to me. What do you think?
Stumper63

that guard gets in the way all the time. i would not ever take it off because it would throw chips everywhere. i was going to modify it by cutting the weld and trimming the side plates of metal to a different curve:chainsawguy: , and trim some of the tip off also. then weld and paint, it should be like new. this should take care of it since the problem seems to be too much space between the wheel and guard.
this is my only problem with this machine. im sure other people are trying all sorts of things, so lets hear them.

Latest posts

Back