New Kubota Engine For Sp4012 Carlton?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Bigstumps,

I forgot to ask you the other day if you had demo'ed a Vanguard 4012 against the Kubota before you purchased. I demo'ed the Vanguard a couple days ago and was pretty impressed. Not much chance of getting to see or demo a Kubota though. Dealer closest to me isn't planning on bringing any in. Do you think the extra torque of the diesel is really helping your productivity? I would think it should, another 10 lbs torque or so, is that right? Does yours have the wireless remote? If not, how's the visibility, even tho seems like you go mostly by feel and engine sound.

We'll see which way Forreststump goes in a few weeks, see what his thoughts are.
Thanks for giving us all your impressions.

Stumper63

I didn't demo the Vanguard. Saw the Kubota cut on a demo and had to have it. Mine is 4 X 4 with a scrape blade but no remote. I've got a lot of experience with a Rayco Super Jr so I am used to cutting without clear vision of the stump.

So far nothing but love for this machine. I am now using it on jobs I would have always used my tow behind on. Don't get me wrong, I'm still keeping/using my big machine, I just no longer avoid using my self propelled.

so offical report: ground about 5 stumps today and its cut my site time in 1/3, instead of taking an hour its taking me 15-20 min! the remote... i cant imagine not having one, i used the hand controls just to see what it would be like without the remote and it is imposible to see anything, the visibility is terrible because of the engine size. the sadvik wheel has impressed me to no end, i probably wouldnt have to use any shields but dont take the risk. it is an amazing experience using the remote. the only really bad thing i have to say about the whole set up is that the remote makes the hydraulics - all or nothing, so if you take off on high range u wheelie a little and if u let off the when in high reverse it nose wheelies, there is alot of weight on the cutter wheel end. the standard double wide wheels are a great addition, and cant imagine the kubota edition without it. the remote is smaller than i thought it was going to be and it is magnetic on the back, so u dont ever have to put it down and forget it, just stick it to the machine when not in use. it was 4c here this morning and i held the pre-heat on for about 20seconds and it fired up right away. its quiet so quiet that i dont have to use my hearing protection any more. other than that... very impressed and im in love!
will be back in a week to give u a weekly update... as i have a 8' stump coming up. wish me luck
chow

Stump - Dude,

Glad to hear we are in agreement. The big radiator does make it harder to see than on my old Kohler Powered machine but I am used to it.

It does amaze me how smooth and quiet that engine is!!! So far I haven't changed a single Sandvik tooth - 30 hours.

3/29 Update - 45 hours still on original teeth - cuts great. Kubota is very nice - smooooooth and quiet. Sandvik teeth are holding up great, of course we don't have rock here, but they are holding their edge. Tightened the belt a couple of times - takes about 3 minutes. I'm going to change engine oil at 50 hours. So Far - So Good!!

Last edited:
Hi Bigstumps,

Can you tell me the weight of your 4012? Carlton website doesn't list weight w/ the Kubota and 4x4. I think your machine is the one I want to get, tho stump-dude's glowing recommendation of the wireless remote sounds tempting. I currently run the 252 w/ 25 Kohler, can't see much now anyway, so not sure the extra money for me is necessary. Have you noticed you don't have to push the machine around since you now have 4x4? I mean to get up over the chips, will 4x4 just propel you over w/o having to back off and move them out of the way? I may be able to visit Carlton factory soon, going to Bowling Green, do you know how long it would take to drive to Spartanburg from there? BG is about one hour nw of nashville. Would love to demo one like you've got. Gotta love your 45 hours w/ the teeth!

Thanks for the response.

Don't know the weight for sure, I'm not sure my salesman knew for sure - it is definately heavier than my Rayco - I would guess 1800 lbs.

The 4wd will climb anything. There is a high and low selection using a switch. In high it moves around at a good pace. Go to low to grind and then further slow down the speed with a knob. The whole drive system works well. It is always in 4wd and does have more climbing power in low.

I have a blade on the other end and can push the piles pretty easily. There is no way I wouldn't be able to climb a pile while cutting.

Can't say enough about the engine. Runs smooth, doesn't smoke at all once it is warm, and it is quiet. Kubota really makes a nice engine.

Like you I am used to not seeing what I grind, so that doesn't bother me. By the time you add wireless, adding the wired remote option then the wireless it was like $4,000!! Maybe if this was bought as my only grinder but that is a lot, especially on top of a diesel 4WD.

So far I'm happy. As the hours add up I just keep thinking - so many more and it's paid for itself. (not that far off when I deduct what I got out of the Jr) Then I'll be really happy!!

has anyone heard of running the new kubota engine on biodeisel? its about the same price here as normal diesel, and it would be good for advertising not to mention the enviroment.

Stump-dude,

Any more impressions of the machine? How are the teeth holding up? Do you know the weight of your machine? Hoping to see a Kubota equipped machine soon.

Stumper63

3 teeth broken so far 2 long 1 short, 15hrs on the machine, i live in a really rocky area. almost need to do some minimal sharpening but otherwise all good! love the remote control... attracts so much attention and looks so profesional when entering a job site. love this machine! dont know exact weight but give carlton a call on their toll free line and they help u out straight away, still waiting for my manual....!

They've got some "Rock Buster" teeth they showed me. I don't need them down here in the sand but you may want to investigate. Real thick curved carbide made to shatter the rock.

Going fishing today!! I do enjoy the flexibility grinding stumps gives me!!!

85 hours still love it. Sandvik is the way to go!!

Stump-dude, how are the Rock Busters??

the rock buster teeth are great, no broken teeth yet @ 35hrs, had to sharpen the cutter teeth at 30hrs tho. love the machine and have an emotion attachment to my remote.

I saw the wireless work on the track machine. Liked the idea but didn't think I'd use the little Kubota enough to justify the expense. If I'd known how much I'd use and like the rest of the machine I'd have sprung for the wireless.

Next year I may replace my tow behind with a big portable and I'll definately get the wireless!!

yaa, my kubota is my primary machine, i have a 13hp husquvarna aswell for tighter spots but use my carlton about 95% of the time. main business is in back yards.

the rock buster teeth are great, no broken teeth yet @ 35hrs, had to sharpen the cutter teeth at 30hrs tho. love the machine and have an emotion attachment to my remote.

What did you sharpen your teeth with? Also how exactly did you do it? I have the 7015trx and think my teeth are due for some sharpening since they have lost there edge.

buy a green stone grinding wheel, any company that sells abrasive discs will have them. then sharpen away, just make sure you hav a mask, the amount of green dust it makes is astonishing, also wear your oldest clothes or a disposable suit mabey. works really well!

Hey Kirk - Forreststump!

Did you end up with a 4012 yet? Which one did you get? Share your initial observations if you would, thanks
Stumper63

has anyone thought of using a debris vacuum along side a grinder. i am a lazy guy and since shoveling large amounts of wood shavings all day isnt my cup of tea, i was wondering what would save me time and money and a sore back.
now billy goat and eliet sell heavy duty debris vac's for about $2500 and they weight round 300lbs, if we had to connect it up to the back of the 4012 and fabricate a trailer to attach to the grinder imagine how much time we'd save from reversing and clearing(manually). i spend more time shovelling than i do grinding it seems - 20min grinding, 30min shoveling(using a snow shovel - holds more) so i thought id throw that idea out there and see if anyones tried it before, seems logical to me and im seriously considering trying it. all thoughts would be appreciated. thnx

DYNAMIC STUMP GRINDING

Back