New Kubota Engine For Sp4012 Carlton?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've thought about it. I used to own a 20HP billy goat lawn vac. Although I never tried it I can bet that the impellars would just stick up with mud. If it was dry sandy soil it would probably work to some extent but what happens is the heavy particles like dirt and mud and sand don't all make it down the hose. The hose begins to get heavy with the heaveir partuculate and then begins to gain resistance. The wetter mud sticks to the impellars and then it just looses its vacuum. When we sucked up muddy wet leaves the impellars would get coated with mud and mush etc and it looses it's efficency also to make the hose work properly it needs to be shaken every once in a while to keep everything moving in the hose.

Don't remove the chips!

has anyone thought of using a debris vacuum along side a grinder. i am a lazy guy and since shoveling large amounts of wood shavings all day isnt my cup of tea, i was wondering what would save me time and money and a sore back.
now billy goat and eliet sell heavy duty debris vac's for about $2500 and they weight round 300lbs, if we had to connect it up to the back of the 4012 and fabricate a trailer to attach to the grinder imagine how much time we'd save from reversing and clearing(manually). i spend more time shovelling than i do grinding it seems - 20min grinding, 30min shoveling(using a snow shovel - holds more) so i thought id throw that idea out there and see if anyones tried it before, seems logical to me and im seriously considering trying it. all thoughts would be appreciated. th
DYNAMIC STUMP GRINDING
I've been grinding stumps for 5 years now.done over 2000 jobs and NEVER shoveled chips.
I tell the customer up front that they a paying me to professionally remove their stumps not to remove the chips or do their landscaping. I never loose a job because i won't remove chips. Theres no end to what a customer expects you to do for no extra pay.....only if you are willing to do it. Many times i tell the customer they can hire a local teen to work much cheaper that they can pay what i charge for an hours work.

4012 kubota

Sold my vermeer 672 and 252 and bought the 4012 carlton with blade and the kubota and 4x4.The dealer didn't have a wireless machine on hand would have liked to have that option although it does cost nearly 4,000. I was going to get the rg50 super, but it was a long machine and 43,000! I am going grinding tomorrow I hope it works good. looks well built. I thought I could get by with one machine (rg50). So I guess I will be looking for a good used pull behind.Back to two machines!

Sold my vermeer 672 and 252 and bought the 4012 carlton with blade and the kubota and 4x4.The dealer didn't have a wireless machine on hand would have liked to have that option although it does cost nearly 4,000. I was going to get the rg50 super, but it was a long machine and 43,000! I am going grinding tomorrow I hope it works good. looks well built. I thought I could get by with one machine (rg50). So I guess I will be looking for a good used pull behind.Back to two machines!

Did you get the sandvik wheel with your 4012?

Hey BTW,

Let us know how your new 4012 worked this weekend. Some have said it works so well you may not have to get a second machine for most stumps. Anyway, keep us posted.

Stumper63

i dont remove chips from the job site either, but while grinding large stumps you gotta clear away the chip debris so u can see what youre grinding so you dont miss anything. the trx7015 is looking better and better and getting closer and closer.

sandvic

Yes I did it seems to work great. I had green teeth on my last machines and really liked them, so easy to change. I might miss that.

The teeth on the sandvik wheel are real easy to cahnge too. Ive never changed greenteeth so i have nothing to compare it to. I think you will be pleased.

Stump-dude,

Do you mean a trx7015 in addition to your 4012? Or is the 4012 not all you expected it to be? Do you do alot of large stumps?

Stumper63

I do a lot of big stumps but am finding I use the tow behind way less than before the 4012. I am using the 4012 on a bunch of stumps I never would have attempted with my Super JR. I still get the giants though, that are nice to get the tow behind on.

If I knew I was going to use the 4012 this much I would have gotten the remote. Talked to the factory, can't make a lever control machine into a remote.

Next year I'll replace the tow behind with a large remote controlled self propelled!!!

Stump-dude,
Do you mean a trx7015 in addition to your 4012? Or is the 4012 not all you expected it to be? Do you do alot of large stumps?
Stumper63

yaa, want to add a trx7015 into the fleet as im finding im doing alot of 5 - 10' and larger stumps, i can do them with the 4012 but the jobs ive been doing lately are getting bigger and bigger, went to do a quote on a 20' diameter stump the other day, could do it with the 4012(is a bit rotten) but would take a long long time. the 4012 is way better than id have ever expected!

Stump-dude,
Stumper63

yaa, want to add a trx7015 into the fleet the 4012 is way better than id have ever expected!

This is exactly my feeling and my plan for early '08

Hey Bigstumps, Stump-dude, and others with the Kubota 4012:

How does the machine do on soft lawns, any experience yet? Not sure, but the factory rep said he thought it weighed about 1800 lbs. My little 252 is 1100 lbs soaking wet, was wondering if you found much of a difference if you had been running a similar size machine to the 252.
Do you find the dual wheels are always necessary, or just in soft ground or slopes? I find I usually run w/o the duals on the 252 since I'm going thru gates all the time. Maybe the duals on the 4012 is easier to put on and take off.
Also, any problem not having an articulating axle on the steering end? Seems like Bandit, Vermeer, and Rayco's machines all have them now, but I don't know if they really make much difference, any thoughts?

Thanks for your input.
Stumper63
By the way, Stump-dude, what kind of tree had a 20 diameter? What a monster! Did you snap any pic's?

yaa the guy said he had a huge stump but i get people that say that and have a 5' stump. it was an old growth tree up here in canada, not sure if it was fir or cedar? was pretty old and rotten and had been ground before and buried.
as far as ive found, the dual wheels are much softer on the lawns, which is just plain physics(more surface area to spread weight) i keep them on all the time... i take them off only to go thru gates, but put them back on when im thru, they r really quick and easy to remove and re-install, and the machine wobbles less when grinding. youll find if u move to the 4012 diesel that the dual wheels are the only way to go. the steering is ok but not nearly as maneuverable as the 252's 3rd wheel, just takes more back and forth turns, but the machine is fast so it makes up for it. i like the 4012 steering system.

duel wheels

Stumper

I have not notice any additional lawn damage compared to my old 252. As far as the duel wheels go you only have to remove 1-bolt to get the tire off and i have been putting back on at least 1-tire (radiator side). The 252 was light enough to man handle if it didn't quit make it up the chip pile you could push it, if it started tipping you could catch it. The carlton will not be so forgiving and since its brand new I am being very careful and i am taking my time. Having said that I would never go back to a machine with less power.

Pretty much the same here what they said. I keep the duals on! They do go on and off very easy.

I'd hate to flip it with the radiator. Wouldn't be like the Kohler where you just flip it back and go on.

The steering works good, but it won't pivot around like a 3 wheeler. I can still get anywhere I did with the Rayco and a lot more.

I would hate to go back to less power on this machine now that I am spoiled!!

chip containment

Bigstumps

I took off the middle chip guard behind the cutter wheel on the 4012 to see if I can get more chips to go under the machine rather then going back on to the stump and into the hole (mulch dragging down the horse power ). With the sandvic wheel I am wondering if you even need any of the chip guards. I think it might make grinding the larger stumps easier. Have you tried this yet? The 4012 actually is a fun machine to run. The 252 was a good machine but I just hated doing large stumps with it. For the money I think it's great. Which rayco did you have?

Back