New Kubota Engine For Sp4012 Carlton?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bigstumps

I took off the middle chip guard behind the cutter wheel on the 4012 to see if I can get more chips to go under the machine rather then going back on to the stump and into the hole (mulch dragging down the horse power ). With the sandvic wheel I am wondering if you even need any of the chip guards. I think it might make grinding the larger stumps easier. Have you tried this yet? The 4012 actually is a fun machine to run. The 252 was a good machine but I just hated doing large stumps with it. For the money I think it's great. Which rayco did you have?

Haven't thought about removing the rubber around the back of the wheel but you may be right. I should try it.

I had a Rayco 1625. Good machine but not even close to the power on the Kubota. I hated anything larger than 20" with it.

chip containment

I have grind a number of stumps now with the middle chip guard removed and is working great. It doesn't leave as neat of a pile with it on, but I am not spraying near the chips back over the stump. Chip containment greatly enhanced. So at this point I will leave the remaining guards on. Still love the 4012.

Bandit copied Carlton

Buy Cartlon, better machine for the money. Do what ever you have to do to avoid bandit. I found it quite desturbing to see them selling a machine claiming all it's assets like they thought of them when i had been using one for years before "they" invented it. How could this be so? Wait, i was not using one of theirs for years... that's right. I didn't have a time machine to go to the future to get a bandit machine. I didn't need a time machine becuause i had a carlton.

Carlton... better machines for the money, period, the end.

Wow, they should give me a job or something.

Bandit

I am sure happy I bought the 4012 kobuta rather then the 3800 bandit. The swing speed was slow (demo 2005). I think the 4012 could out grind the bandit and at half the price.

The Bandit I saw looked like a copy of the Rayco Super 50. It didn't look near as neat or finished as the Rayco and I don't think it outcut the 4012 Kubota. Plus the Ditch Witch guy didn't know anything about stump grinders!

I don't trust the hydostats down here in the heat. Both the Rayco and the Bandit put out a ton of heat!

120 Hours and Everything is still good!!

Why is this board so quiet???

maintenance

hey hows your maintenance on your kubota 4012 doing? at 80hrs my belt has shred, cost of a new one from carlton... $190cnd. also had to replace my batteries in the remote which wasnt too bad, surprised at how long it lasted.

hey hows your maintenance on your kubota 4012 doing? at 80hrs my belt has shred, cost of a new one from carlton... $190cnd. also had to replace my batteries in the remote which wasnt too bad, surprised at how long it lasted.

I had a belt go out at 30 hours. I think i just got a bad belt. Carlton was good to me about that one. They replaced the belt free but i also ordered another one just in case. Other than that, no problems at all. I have the lambordini on mine, wish I could have waited till the kubota came out.

Hey KennerTree and Stump-Dude,
Was it the cutter wheel belt (poly-chain) that went out, or jackshaft? Seems a bit early, usually get several hundred hours from 252 belt, and it's only $30 bucks or so. Wonder why Carlton's belt is so expensive, is it huge compared to the 252's?
Any other maintenance issues? I'm going to be touring Carlton's factory and demoing a Kubota 4012 next month, anything I should be looking for/asking about? Did you ask about prices on bearings? How's the Sandvik teeth holding up?
Stumper63

Hey KennerTree and Stump-Dude,
Was it the cutter wheel belt (poly-chain) that went out, or jackshaft? Seems a bit early, usually get several hundred hours from 252 belt, and it's only $30 bucks or so. Wonder why Carlton's belt is so expensive, is it huge compared to the 252's?
Any other maintenance issues? I'm going to be touring Carlton's factory and demoing a Kubota 4012 next month, anything I should be looking for/asking about? Did you ask about prices on bearings? How's the Sandvik teeth holding up?
Stumper63

Mine was the large belt that goes from the engine to the jackshaft. The sandvik teeth are great.

After reading this post I thought I better get a spare belt. Ordered the V-Belt from Carlton - $80 US. Over 150 hours on the original and it is running fine - just don't want down time. I've had to tighten it a few times that's all.

Looked at the PolyChain, looks good. No use to get a spare for that just yet.

I removed the rubber skirt directly behind the cutterwheel, does help all the chips get away from what I'm grinding.

Latest posts

Back