Carriage mill build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have finally been able to get back to my saw mill build. Haying season hit us hot and heavy this year and then work got crazy for a bit, I am one of about two guys doing most of the refrigeration jobs at work and this year was nuts.

Jim,

Look forward to seeing more of your build. SIL has been back there visiting my BIL, her brother and she just got back today. She said it's been pretty hot out your way.
Later,
jerry-

53 here perfect mill weather if i hadn't pulled muscles in left chest . DR said rest i did that for an hr now iam pissed cause i can't do any thing, i would come help but its to far to NY .

Jim,

Look forward to seeing more of your build. SIL has been back there visiting my BIL, her brother and she just got back today. She said it's been pretty hot out your way.
Later,
jerry-

Waiting for the cool down, looking forward to the cool down. I cannot wait to have this build done. Didn't get home until late again tonight, so I worked on an old Husky for a little bit before I came in to play with the kids. I am starting to get some logs piled up by the driveway just waiting to be milled.

53 here perfect mill weather if i hadn't pulled muscles in left chest . DR said rest i did that for an hr now iam pissed cause i can't do any thing, i would come help but its to far to NY .

It is a fair piece. Hope you heal up good and can get to the milling again.

Don't look too close at the shop, it gets very messy in the hotter months because I don't work in there and everything gets piled in. It gets cleaned out every year about this time. Anyhow, here is the carriage so far, sorry for the cell pic. I mounted the 9010 on her tonight by drilling two holes in the bar and bolting the bar to the part of the carriage that cranks up and down on that piece of 5/8 all thread.
1021112145.jpg

Here's the test run guys, not a 100% finished with it but it is very functional. These cell pics came out great, seems to only have a problem when in the shop in poor lighting. One pic is the second cut on the mill and the other pic is how I mounted the saw to the mill and also showing the shopping cart wheels I used for rollers, they work great with the unistrut rails. I love unistrut. That 9010 is like milling with a light saber compared to the 6400 and the old 045. The all thread crank makes the whole setup great along with not having to mess with building a frame work to get that first good cut. I will get some more pics as I go. It's not fancy but it seems to work great. Believe it or not, but the 28" bar I have on the mill right now is keeping perfectly square while cutting and while sitting there without the nose being supported.
1022111528.jpg
1022111511.jpg

1022111528.jpg

Pretty cool Jim, I can just see you now... Rushing home from work, scarfing down dinner and out milling by the head lights of your truck because you just can't get away from your new toy. Then you wife comes out and tells you, 'that's enough Jim', put it away!

Have fun dude!

jerry-

I get that all the time at home. What's hard for me right now is that everything is a mud hole right now due to all the rain plus my wife has been working nights so it's just me, two-year old very busy daughter and my 4 year-old son who is not quite so busy. Makes it hard to get a lot done, but no matter, have to keep on keeping on.

Using those shopping cart wheels is a pretty slick idea. Could you show us some more pictures of your vertical adjustment? :rock:

They worked great. I have a little more to do on the mill i.e. auxillary oiler, attach the boat winch for pulling logs up onto it and so on, but I will get more and better pics to put on. I was very impressed with how much easier this setup is over the Alaskan, which I like quite a bit, but this is much faster and easier from cutting speed to setup time. No building of a frame to get the first square cut and so on.

great pics jimdad. It looks like you have made a nice clean uncomplicated carriage mill that works. Thanks for the pics and updates. It looks like the milling goes a whole lot faster and easier than the alaskan style mills.

Old Blue
Oppressively taxed and punitively regulated in
Kali-bone-ya

:rock: Good thread. Fixing to start sourcing everything for a carriage mill build myself! Circle mill turned expensive real quick when the Detroit has been sitting for so many years :)

Did some more milling today with the carriage mill and the Dolly. Only did two logs, a 5'x 22" ash log and an 8'x 24" white spruce log. Went pretty well, had to build a platform to put the logs on and I need to make a dawg system to make holding them a little easier. Found that the old Alis 180 is easier to load logs than good old fashioned brute strength and ignorance.
1106111144.jpg
1106111449.jpg
1106111542.jpg

Latest posts

Back