Case damage, mag welding

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srcarr52

We can't stop here, this is bat country.
Reaction score
I had a few Husqvarna 80cc projects that needed a little welding on the cases. I know people often wonder what to do and these instances so I made a video of the process.

[video=youtube;oFnhCd9PHWc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFnhCd9PHWc[/video]

I have always wondered how do you keep the magnesium from burning. I have taken magnesium filed it into shavings and burnt it. fun to play with.

Thanks for the video.

I have always wondered how do you keep the magnesium from burning. I have taken magnesium filed it into shavings and burnt it. fun to play with.

Thanks for the video.

The shield gas is what keeps it from burning.

Straight Argon correct?

What filler rod you using and wheres the best place to get it? I'm assuming your down to about a 3/32 pure tungsten?

Any TIG is straight argon, never a mix, you can use Helium as well, gives better penetration.

Good threads lately Shawn, really enjoying them, a good change from the normal saw build stuff.

Straight Argon correct?

What filler rod you using and wheres the best place to get it? I'm assuming your down to about a 3/32 pure tungsten?

I use straight argon since my tig welder has plenty of power (300 amps). You can get a helium/argon mix and it will make the arc hotter but it's not necessary if you have the power. It's an old sine wave so it doesn't have any cleaning action (ac balance and a square wave would be awesome), proper pre-cleaning is a must and I still get some junk. Really this welder is great for fills. I learned how to weld on it when I was in high school working at a machine shop welding cracks in cylinder heads. When the shop folded, I bought the monster welder. Some will use a mix of CO2 if you are only welding steel since it's cheaper.

Any TIG is straight argon, never a mix, you can use Helium as well, gives better penetration.

Good threads lately Shawn, really enjoying them, a good change from the normal saw build stuff.

Thanks! I finally got the time to shoot some videos of the other chainsaw related stuff I do besides build saws. I also got something to hold my iPhone which makes it much easier to shoot videos. Yesterday I clamped it onto the handle bar of another saw to hold the camera, use what you got I guess. Sorry... but the next thread will be the 372BB build I've been working on for a month now, but of course I welded on the cylinder. :msp_tongue:

Never say never.

I have seen some guys do some off the wall stuff.

LOL, too true!! But I stand by what I said.

I use straight argon since my tig welder has plenty of power (300 amps). You can get a helium/argon mix and it will make the arc hotter but it's not necessary if you have the power. It's an old sine wave so it doesn't have any cleaning action (ac balance and a square wave would be awesome), proper pre-cleaning is a must and I still get some junk. Really this welder is great for fills. I learned how to weld on it when I was in high school working at a machine shop welding cracks in cylinder heads. When the shop folded, I bought the monster welder. Some will use a mix of CO2 if you are only welding steel since it's cheaper.

Thanks! I finally got the time to shoot some videos of the other chainsaw related stuff I do besides build saws. I also got something to hold my iPhone which makes it much easier to shoot videos. Yesterday I clamped it onto the handle bar of another saw to hold the camera, use what you got I guess. Sorry... but the next thread will be the 372BB build I've been working on for a month now, but of course I welded on the cylinder. :msp_tongue:

Cool stuff. I love my TIG, I wish it had more power, its a 185, but does just fine for what I do. Oh, its a square wave and has really great cleaning action!! It has an auto setting which I mainly use, or you can adjust it as well, so you can be jealous of that!!!

LOL, too true!! But I stand by what I said.

Cool stuff. I love my TIG, I wish it had more power, its a 185, but does just fine for what I do. Oh, its a square wave and has really great cleaning action!! It has an auto setting which I mainly use, or you can adjust it as well, so you can be jealous of that!!!

Yeah but I have 300 amps, 100% duty cycle and a water cooled torch. I used to hold arcs with this welder for upwards of 30 minutes to fill some cracks, our shop wiring will give up before the welder does. I edited it out of the movie, but in the middle of welding the first part I got up and changed the welder from medium to low to get more arc control with the foot pedal. Someday I'll get a square wave with arc balance but I don't think this welder could ever be replaced for some purposes.

If you're feeling lacking on the power I would try Helium, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

FYI. For most aluminum you should be running about 10-20% torch negative. There are a couple of different settings (either amp, or % of root current), so pay attention to what the dial is really doing. The more DC neg the torch is the more cleaning action but the hotter the electrode will get. I use pure tungsten for aluminum on my sine wave but for smaller stuff I use 2% thorated, it doesn't ball up so it helps with directing the arc. For a square wave I'd probably stay the thorated or lanthanated for everything. Pure tungsten and a balled tip is old school and works best on sine waves, they've had to re-write the book for newer square waves.

Yeah but I have 300 amps, 100% duty cycle and a water cooled torch. I used to hold arcs with this welder for upwards of 30 minutes to fill some cracks, our shop wiring will give up before the welder does. I edited it out of the movie, but in the middle of welding the first part I got up and changed the welder from medium to low to get more arc control with the foot pedal. Someday I'll get a square wave with arc balance but I don't think this welder could ever be replaced for some purposes.

If you're feeling lacking on the power I would try Helium, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

FYI. For most aluminum you should be running about 10-20% torch negative. There are a couple of different settings (either amp, or % of root current), so pay attention to what the dial is really doing. The more DC neg the torch is the more cleaning action but the hotter the electrode will get. I use pure tungsten for aluminum on my sine wave but for smaller stuff I use 2% thorated, it doesn't ball up so it helps with directing the arc. For a square wave I'd probably stay the thorated or lanthanated for everything. Pure tungsten and a balled tip is old school and works best on sine waves, they've had to re-write the book for newer square waves.

Thanks, I'm a pretty green TIG welder, and I've gotten many different opinions on what electrode to use, I've had good success with the red ones, I think that is 2%, and have had good luck with Brown, I think that is pure. Never tried lanthanated, I should get a few and try them out. I've heard Helium helps allot. I'm not sure what you mean by 10-20% torch neg?? I was thinking of getting a water cooled torch, I've gotten it pretty dam hot a few times.

Thanks, I'm a pretty green TIG welder, and I've gotten many different opinions on what electrode to use, I've had good success with the red ones, I think that is 2%, and have had good luck with Brown, I think that is pure. Never tried lanthanated, I should get a few and try them out. I've heard Helium helps allot. I'm not sure what you mean by 10-20% torch neg?? I was thinking of getting a water cooled torch, I've gotten it pretty dam hot a few times.

I think that Brown it lanthanated. Pure tungsten will usually be green. Red is 2% thorated.

AC balance is actually a DC offset in the wave (DC).

I think that Brown it lanthanated. Pure tungsten will usually be green. Red is 2% thorated.

AC balance is actually a DC offset in the wave (DC).

Ok, thanks. I haven't done it enough to remember all the colors, I'll have to check my chart! Brown seemed to work really well, but I don't remember it being Lanthanated.

Great Thread,
Thanks for posting.
I'v done alot of aluminum welding but
never tried mag. I need to repair a few
cases and can't locate and filler rod.
The two welding supply places i do biz with
don't have it and can only order 5lb's at
50.00 a pound.
Is there a special type of filler rod your using?

Lee

Great Thread,
Thanks for posting.
50.00 a pound.

Lee

Harris AZ92A is what I'm using. I can't source it by the pound anymore with a decent price. Either it's a 3lb minimum or $85 for 1/2 lb. :dizzy:

It welds really similar to aluminum. IMO a little easier since you don't get the oxide skin like you do with aluminum and if you accidentally dip your tungsten the mag just burns off really quickly.

Great Thread,
Thanks for posting.
50.00 a pound.

Lee

Harris AZ92A is what I'm using. I can't source it by the pound anymore with a decent price. Either it's a 3lb minimum or $85 for 1/2 lb. :dizzy:

It welds really similar to aluminum. IMO a little easier since you don't get the oxide skin like you do with aluminum and if you accidentally dip your tungsten the mag just burns off really quickly.

Contact this guy: http://contact.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ContactUserNextGen&iId=230875874781&recipient=rocketbracket
he is an ebay seller and goes by the name of rocketbracket, He's great for small quantities of AZ92T60 Magnesium filler rod. I just bought some more from him last month.

Contact this guy: http://contact.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ContactUserNextGen&iId=230875874781&recipient=rocketbracket
he is an ebay seller and goes by the name of rocketbracket, He's great for small quantities of AZ92T60 Magnesium filler rod. I just bought some more from him last month.

I think that may be who I bough mine from. I'm good on rod right now, I still have 3/4 lb or so left. I've welded quite a lot and I've only used 4 1/8" filler rods out of the bundle I got.

Latest posts

Back