Case gasket leak help on Jonsered 2153 WH

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

E.V.A. Sawman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just acquired a 2153 WH with a case seal leak Saw will run fine then foul the plug, you can see a lot of heavy oil deposit in exhaust port, I then checked the bar oil tank and you could see and smell the oil was contaminated with fuel. Has anyone else had this problem?
Also where can I go to to find a part ipl as we don't have a Jonsered dealer close, and will the 346xp seals, and case gaskets be the same, or if someone has the part numbers for the crank seals, case gasket, and cyl base gasket it would be much appreciated. I phoned the nearest jonsered dealer but they have no time to look up the parts unless I drop off the saw. Saw is only about a year old and I got it for a good price, any help would be greatly appreciated.

If your case gasket is leaking,then when you run the saw,worst when hot,the engine should smoke heavily.346 has all the same parts except cosmetic and handle.

If your case gasket is leaking,then when you run the saw,worst when hot,the engine should smoke heavily.346 has all the same parts except cosmetic and handle.
It does smoke a litttle more than a normal saw would. Also the exhaust port was filled with heavy oil carbon residue. I picked the saw up cheap ( $100.) so I am not out a bunch of money.

Last edited:
I'm not convinced your gasket is leaking. I'd be doing some more testing before pulling it apart. Oil deposits in your muffler has nothing to do with it. Sounds to me like your saw is simply running rich.

I'm not convinced your gasket is leaking. I'd be doing some more testing before pulling it apart. Oil deposits in your muffler has nothing to do with it. Sounds to me like your saw is simply running rich.

I believe he said the bar oil smelled of gas?

I have never seen the case gasket leak on a 2153/346. I would do a pressure test on the saw and watch to see if the oil tank gets any air through.

i would definitly go through the saw before you completely deconstruct the case maybe it is something as simple as its running to rich. check for airleaks to confrim before disassembly. did you try reseting the carb to factory settings to see if that would help?

The saw had a different carb even installed by previous owner, and no difference, the carb was set very lean . I had found fuel in the oil tank. So I pressure tested the engine, and there was leak down When the saw was on it's side and you opened the bar oil cap, you would get air bubbles coming up. I split the cases today and the gasket was blown out in a small spot near the bottom of the oil tank. The saw would start and run and idle, fine until it warmed up, then it would start smoking and running rich at any throttle position, and then foul out the plug. Internally everthing looks fine, nice cyl and piston condition, bearings are fine I checked end play, up and down movement, and od run out with a guage before and after dissassembly. The previous owner was a chainsaw carver, who uses canola and corn oil for bar oil. A lot of his saws sit, and possibly it ate away at the gasket, this was one of his winter saws so it most likely sat from the spring to late fall with this oil in it the whole saw was cover with this oil crust, and it has really eaten away at the top cover plastic.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back