Case of Mobil 2T

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nov 2008 I sent email to Mobil, below is from that email.

Is it true that Mobil 2T has a shelf life?
If so, how long is it? and would you really worry about it? I know Mobil
has quit making 2T. I bought all I could find and just heard it has a shelf life.
I have been using it in my old dirt bike and 20 or so chainsaw's.
I have 20qts left and do want to use it.

[email protected] wrote:

Thank you for your inquiry,
Apologies for the delay in response. Mobil 1 Racing 2T has a shelf life of
12 months in plastic containers. That does not mean that the product will
spoil. It may be suitable for service. However, we can no longer warranty
its integrity and performance after that time.

Bruce

TT

You can run oil in a car for up to a year in service.

New oil in a bottle is not going to go bad. I just cannot believe it ever would.

If it degrades that fast in a new state I would be looking for a different lubricant to buy.

This was the answer to a post on another site.

"When I called Mobil 's toll free number about that, they told me that it was only 1 year. They said the reason it was so short was because one of the solvents used in the product, "migrates" for lack of a better word, its way through the closed bottle after a while.

When I asked if the loss of the solvent effects the functionality of the product, they said no."

Easiest way to determine if it's OK is to do a physical compatibility test in petrol. If it mixes OK then it's fine.
It is true though, synthetic fuel does have a shelf life and with all products like that they do eventually break down. If it didn't the oil companies wouldn't state it. They're a lot smarter than we are when it comes to their oil and they're the ones who have done all the testing.
For instance chemical companies I deal with will guarantee certain products for 5 years even though we know they work fine for 10 years. Everything has a half life...

I'm still using mine. No problems so far. I still have a couple of quarts left.

I kind of want to use it up. I just bought a new BR600 and it is the first thing I have had any concern about running the Mobil2T in. I have been using it in my KM110 for several years with no problems, but it was used. I'm not concerned enough to stop using it though. Jeez, am I cheap or what?

A lot of products have a "life". A lot of times that life may just be the labeling/ marketing/ design / fading, etc. changes that have nothing to do with the product contents. The manufacturer would rather have the retailer sell older product at a discount while making room for the full price "new" product or labeling.

I don't know if this is germane to 2-stroke oil, but the company that services the air compressors at my job recently changed suppliers on the oil they supply/use. After a year or two in storage one of the additives can begin to precipitate out and you MAY lose functionality of that particular additive.

In the case of the air compressor oil, it was an anti-foaming compound, but what if it was the Calcium or Zinc anti-scuff compounds in the 2-stoke oil? A few users running the ragged edge would experience failures that fresh oil would protect against and the oil supplier would be liable.

Chances are that most of us could use that Mobil oil for another 20 years and never experience difficulties, but Mobil marketed that oil to a wide range of users, some of which place some pretty hard demands on their motors. I don't have any around right now, so I'm safe: makes it easy for me, LOL!

Back