Case Splitter - Homemade

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the comments! It did take me quite a bit of time to work everything out and get it made, but I get satisfaction from making something myself.

After a few of the comments I think that the ball end on the screw will stay.

As promised here are the dimensioned drawings.

I added a link for a PDF file of the arm template. It should print out pretty close to proper scale. Just make sure that you select none for scaling on the printer screen.
is it possible, to redo without the black background??? please?? cant read it,,at the size the printer prints it..thanks.

Very nicely done. I enjoy making stuff my self too. I am going to keep this one in mind, in case I get an urge to put one together some day. Thank you for your willingness to share the drawings.

know whats needed?? the cat in iowa,,that runs the plasma cutter?? he could knock out a ton of these PARTS,,and the buyer could weld them together....for much less than a commercial one!!!

I've actually started looking into that. Getting someone to cut out the "Arms" of the splitter. Then cutting a piece of square tube to length and prepping the c-clamp screw/collar to be ready for welding. I bet I could put a "weld it yourself" kit together for around 40 buck or so shipped.

Got the drawings, and thank you so much. My efforts to rebuild my husky 51 should be easier with that tool. Sure glad this site is back up.

Got the drawings, and thank you so much. My efforts to rebuild my husky 51 should be easier with that tool. Sure glad this site is back up.

No problem, glad to help. If you do end up making one let me know if worked out well. I don't have many "modern" saws to try this out on.

I know this is an old post. Anyone have any updated drawings? I can't access most of what is on this post because of some obnoxious graphic from photo bucket.

All the old pics are gone in the hack.
You can buy the china copy of Husqv design for $50-75 but I made one because I wanted adjustable width, to use on various saws and also on some motorcycle engines. Made from overlapping flat pars instead of cutting out from sheet.
Will add pics
Have dimensioned sketch but it is on my laptop, not phone.
I drilled lightly the end of the screw and put a loose bearing ball between that countersink and theB5DB7E58-8AB3-41E7-8F1F-61F05093296F.jpeg 8D615E77-CDCF-49CE-8C32-F6B3AAE4D617.jpeg countersink on the end of the crank. Keeps the screw from walking off the crank.
The screw can adjustB5DB7E58-8AB3-41E7-8F1F-61F05093296F.jpeg B5DB7E58-8AB3-41E7-8F1F-61F05093296F.jpeg 8D615E77-CDCF-49CE-8C32-F6B3AAE4D617.jpeg DB4C4407-DD18-4624-85F5-A7EFB69BE98F.jpeg 2C5ECA5D-792F-4759-A458-22E7A9FFAF9A.jpeg up and down, in some situations I can’t get the jaw end fully centered on the crank bearing and they are offset a bit. Tends to tilt, but easy enough to hold aligned.

Attachments

• 3B06A46A-18D7-4254-80E5-8CF553D5F7B5.jpeg
    3B06A46A-18D7-4254-80E5-8CF553D5F7B5.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • C45B43F9-9E42-4768-948D-D19C51F7F0E0.jpeg
    C45B43F9-9E42-4768-948D-D19C51F7F0E0.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
Here is mine. Works great. Went to the local Husky dealer and asked if I could trace his splitter onto some paper. Took a few hours to build. Used 6mm steel and cut out with plasma cutter, which was very rough. The die grinding to smooth the pattern out took most all the time. Would use a good metal jigsaw blade next time.

Attachments

• 20171103_195226.jpg
    20171103_195226.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 29
I been wanting to create a splitter myself as I don't own one and really don't want to wait months for one or pay overprice. But I wanted the measurements in mm as that is what I use.
So I took what I could find in this thread and on the internet, collected and made a drawing of the side.
The thickness is just set to 3mm, just adjust as you like.
I also have a DXF but seems I could not attach it here.
Use it as you like :)

Attachments

• Side plate.pdf
    68.5 KB · Views: 12
Awesome stuff! Just one thing: I see Husqvarna mentioned in a few posts, but not Stihl. Do these splitters also fit Stihl chainsaws, or are the dimensions Husqvarna specific?

Awesome stuff! Just one thing: I see Husqvarna mentioned in a few posts, but not Stihl. Do these splitters also fit Stihl chainsaws, or are the dimensions Husqvarna specific?
*bump*
Sorry for nagging, but doesn't anybody know, please?

Latest posts

Back