catches wood thief, then arrested

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i believe that the guy does have the right to defend his house, whether or not he legaly owns the property. its his house, why cant he defend it like he owns it? just because i dont own my neighbors house dosent mean im going to stand there and watch of someone breaks in and starts stealing things.

plus whos to say the firewood wasnt actually his? mabey the landlord gave it to him, mabey he sold it to him, the story is very lean on details who knows the situation at hand. news stations are good about giving the details people want to hear, and sometimes if the truth has to be cut, it gets cut.

The same thing happened to my nephew, late at night he caught a guy stealing his stereo out of his car. He chased the guy down the street caught him and beat the crap out of him, the guy still had his stereo in his hands. The guy turned out to be a minor and my nephew was arrested for beating him up, the young guy got a slap on the wrist and was let go. There is no Justice anymore.

The guy turned out to be a minor and my nephew was arrested for beating him up
Once again good guy gets cuffed and stuffed and the trash gets slaped on the hand.Yep thief learned a lesson . He learned he can keep on stealing and not get into to much trouble.

Once again good guy gets cuffed and stuffed and the trash gets slaped on the hand.Yep thief learned a lesson . He learned he can keep on stealing and not get into to much trouble.

He might have learned a lesson though, a good beating is what he needed. It is just too bad my nephew was the one who got arrested.

he saw a man taking firewood that was stacked on property belonging to the landlord of the building

He probably should have called the landlord or the cops. No reason for the assault, just sounds like he was looking for a fight.

Gotta agree with you. But I bet the guy doesn't steal wood there again.

Adkpk, how often have you gotten firewood at 1:00 a.m.? I dont know about you but it wood seem rather strange to me.

Back in the days when I was stealing firewood, that would be early for me. :hmm3grin2orange:

Just one note to defend my character here. Come on my property and try to walk off with anything even my firewood:dizzy: and your going to go down(prolly wouldn't be my fist that hit you either). But come on my landlords property and steal his firewood, take all you want. :chainsaw: Not worth the risk to try and stop you. Plus I can't think of a landlord I actually liked. Kind of remind me of lawyers. :greenchainsaw:

Yea he never should have punched the guy. He should have offered to help load the wood. My arse, when you decide to steal be prepared to reap the consequences, where do you stop bending over backwards for the criminals.

There is a whale of a difference in making a citizen's arrest and beating up on a guy. One is legal, the other is not unless it is a case of self defense.

You want your vigilante justice and get away with it, you better goad him into attacking you first and be able to prove that is what happened.

Taking the OP at face value - the arrest is not only justified and legal it is a slam dunk that on conviction he will spend some time in the jail.

Note that the theif is not clear of the theft charges however.

Harry K

Hear in the USA, you shoot the MF, put a lay down in his hand, and tell the cops you were afraid for your life. Thats justice. In canada you call him a poo poo in French, or worse insult his mother. God help the worm who steals my fire wood

Hear in the USA, you shoot the MF, put a lay down in his hand, and tell the cops you were afraid for your life. Thats justice. In canada you call him a poo poo in French, or worse insult his mother. God help the worm who steals my fire wood

I'm not coming over to your house Twincam!

Be careful

I had confronted a thief getting out of my car with my tools.When I asked what he was doing .He attacked me, And things got pretty ugly .He did get in the first good shove as both of us hit the ground. Then he was on the receiving end of blows to his face. But when the police arrived he was not charged with theft or assault. Because they said they did not see it . Even though my tools were scattered everywhere, he was charged with public intoxication. And of course I could go down and file other charges and take time off work. "Forget It'' ..Later I heard the guy went to prison for breaking and entries that were pending on him at the time. I learned a lesson, I Will Not Ask Question's First Next Time!. You can be attacked, I was lucky. By the way this thief was 22 to 25 yrs old, I was 46 at the time, it was not to fun, and I was not hurt but very sore. :popcorn:

This happened in Geneva, which is in Ontario County, New York.

Thanks for the Canada slam tho.

I am not a POO POO. My brother was an only child. I am not a WORM. How dare you ? :popcorn:

Friends help you move... real friends help you move bodies.... I'll bring the brats and burgers... who wants to bring the beer? :givebeer:

Make My Day Law !!

Missouri passed a law last year after Conceal Carry called The Castle Doctrine Law, some call it "Make My Day Law" famous quote from Dirty Harry, "Go Ahead Punk, Make My Day"...

Remember a few months ago the guy in Texas, called the police and then went outside and shot two burglars carrying items from his neighbors house?

In Texas last month, a man spotted two burglars carrying items from his neighbor’s house. After calling police, he grabbed his shotgun and killed the burglars.

A debate still rages over whether that was legal under the state’s new “castle doctrine” law, which allows lethal force to defend one’s home.

A similar Missouri law enacted this year appears to allow killings like those, according to judges and lawyers. Advocates praise it as allowing innocent people to defend themselves against criminals. Opponents fear it could cause unnecessary deaths, such as killings of petty thieves.

Last year Missouri lawmakers passed legislation allowing property owners to protect their homes and families from intruders. The so-called “Castle Doctrine” is a well-established legal concept that’s being adopted in a growing number of states.

Under the old state law, if someone unlawfully enters your home / premises* or attempts a car-jacking, you are required to first retreat instead of immediately fighting to protect yourself. The burden is on the home owner to establish that an intruder means to do them bodily harm before they can use appropriate force against them. Does this make any sense? If someone crashes through your front door, he’s probably not there for a picnic!

The version of the “Castle Doctrine” approved by the Missouri lawmakers makes three major changes to Missouri's current law. First, it creates the presumption that criminals who unlawfully enter and remain in your home intend to do harm to you and your family. Second, the legislation removes the requirement that property owners retreat from their home, or car when someone has entered unlawfully. Finally, the bill states that a person who uses justified force against an invader is immune from criminal prosecution or civil action

By passing the Castle Doctrine, the Missouri lawmakers said “enough is enough” by allowing the immediate use of force to protect yourself in response to forced entry to your home or car.

One of the main purposes of government is to protect the rights of property and to preserve life and liberty. The legislation passed last year returns to the citizens their right to protect themselves. These rights were eroded through a series of bad court decisions. Your home is your castle, and you have a right to be safe inside its walls.

This bill will protect those who legally exercise self-defense with force or deadly force from a future civil law suit and it also expands the number of places that one can legally use force or deadly force, much like in one's own home (or castle).

*"Premises", includes any building, inhabitable structure and any real property

Not sure I would shoot somone over wood, but pretty sure I would approach with Glock in hand, prepared to defend my property.

Last edited:
Back