catches wood thief, then arrested

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if i saw pedro screwing around my house that late at night.....lock me up too cause i'm going to pound that mutt on principle alone.

question is, is pablo an illegal or does he have his papers in order?

oh, are you a tenant that doesn't own the wood? See what I'm getting at......reading comprehension :)

Although I agree, if pedro was sniffing around here late at night, a beating would not be his biggest problem. That would be because he was on my property, stealing my stuff, not like the situation in the article.

Correct me if im worng but I believe in Michigan we also have a "Castle Doctrine." I believe you have the right to defend yourself or others in any place that you occupy. I see physical violence as a last resort. I for sure wouldnt beat on anyone stealing wood from me, but that doesnt mean I wouldnt call the cops while chasing them down. I have actually fired off a few "Warning Shots" for some guys stealing some wood a few months ago. Havent had a problem since. Its just too bad that if me or my family was in danger I have to be able to make the decision on wether or not to use force. Meanwhile the theif,burglar, assailant, rapist, murderer, or whatever is set on a certian goal, but im not sure what it is. I believe that everyone that is legally alowed to carry a firearm should do so. Thats what background checks and permits are for. I catch myself all the time spotting people out shopping or whatever that are packing. It makes me feel good that this could be the guy or gal that someday could protect my family while I wasnt around. I had an incident last month where I was walking around K-Mart and spotted a few guys trying to steal a video game. I wasnt really concerned about it just walked by while they were stuffing there pants. I knew what they were up to but didnt really pay too close attention. After I walked by I noticed they scattered and dropped the video game. I went to the checkout and they were in front of me buying some gum or candy or something, all the while glaring at me, which made me nervous. After I checked out I realized that my shirt had came up on my back exposing my little Bersa .380 that I carry. Guess I scared them a little. Anyways, me rambling on..... I will defend myself, my family or anyone else against any threating predator. I would much rather go to prison than attend a funeral for a family member or innocent person. Its just too bad it has to be that way.

I read the thread, and the news article. I do not have any problem with Waffner going outside to check on what the guy was doing or even with hitting him.

However, I think there may be a bit of jumping to conclusions going on. I don't think anyone knows what the other guy did when confronted with stealing the firewood. And, being charged isn't the same as being convicted, I for one would like to see how this turns out.

I also do not see any problem with checking on what someone is doing on property you are renting. "Golly Officer, I saw this guy getting firewood and I went out to ask him if he had permission from the owner, he picked up a piece of wood and attacked me. I thought he was trying to kill me, I got scared and hit him." Or something to that effect.

I must just have strong feeling about this kind of thing. My wife, 3 kids and I moved out to the country a few years ago, and a week before we moved out here there was a large amount of vandalism done to the property. Since we moved out here we have had another daughter. Now, when someone pulls into the drive in the middle of the night, or even in the daytime, they get met by (Jersey) a Mastiff, (Beauty) an American Bulldog, and three (Frank, Jesse and Doc) Great Pyrenees Collie mixes, and me. Depending on the time of day or night, I have an axe, a sledgehammer, a ditchbar, a shovel, or whatever other tool I happen to be using at the time. If I'm carrying, it is holstered and out of sight, I have never once had a reason to draw, and I would be extremely happy to never have to.

However, with my wife and four children, from 3 mo's old to 9 years old, at home, If I have my way if anything ever does happen, they will not reach the house.

So there's my over-reactionary response.

The simple truth of the whole thing though, is that Waffner was just being a decent citizen. And I hope that the court see it that way.

Oh Yeah, The sign at the end of the driveway reads
No Trespassing
Private Property

WTF,...Can I help u ???????????????

He is darn lucky he just got punched a few times. He is lucky he didnt get shot.:cheers:

GEEZ,. After HE RIPS me off,.... SHOULD I hold the DOOR open for HIM ? as HE leaves??... WTF,....... CHEERS DUDE,....

My wife, 3 kids and I moved out to the country a few years ago, and a week before we moved out here there was a large amount of vandalism done to the property. Since we moved out here we have had another daughter. Now, when someone pulls into the drive in the middle of the night, or even in the daytime, they get met by (Jersey) a Mastiff, (Beauty) an American Bulldog, and three (Frank, Jesse and Doc) Great Pyrenees Collie mixes, and me. Depending on the time of day or night, I have an axe, a sledgehammer, a ditchbar, a shovel, or whatever other tool I happen to be using at the time. If I'm carrying, it is holstered and out of sight, I have never once had a reason to draw, and I would be extremely happy to never have to.

geez....sounds like you felt safer in the city.

Nope, the last straw in the city was a fight outside the house and someone yelling "I've got a gun".

Note: I didn't go outside to see what was going on with that one, just called the Police and let them handle it.

Also, I feel just safe living in the country, more so than living in town.
I guess I just err on the side of caution when strangers pull into the yard, especially in the wee hours of the morning.

Missouri passed a law last year after Conceal Carry called The Castle Doctrine Law, some call it "Make My Day Law" famous quote from Dirty Harry, "Go Ahead Punk, Make My Day"...

Remember a few months ago the guy in Texas, called the police and then went outside and shot two burglars carrying items from his neighbors house?

Last year Missouri lawmakers passed legislation allowing property owners to protect their homes and families from intruders. The so-called “Castle Doctrine” is a well-established legal concept that’s being adopted in a growing number of states.

Under the old state law, if someone unlawfully enters your home / premises* or attempts a car-jacking, you are required to first retreat instead of immediately fighting to protect yourself. The burden is on the home owner to establish that an intruder means to do them bodily harm before they can use appropriate force against them. Does this make any sense? If someone crashes through your front door, he’s probably not there for a picnic!

The version of the “Castle Doctrine” approved by the Missouri lawmakers makes three major changes to Missouri's current law. First, it creates the presumption that criminals who unlawfully enter and remain in your home intend to do harm to you and your family. Second, the legislation removes the requirement that property owners retreat from their home, or car when someone has entered unlawfully. Finally, the bill states that a person who uses justified force against an invader is immune from criminal prosecution or civil action

By passing the Castle Doctrine, the Missouri lawmakers said “enough is enough” by allowing the immediate use of force to protect yourself in response to forced entry to your home or car.

One of the main purposes of government is to protect the rights of property and to preserve life and liberty. The legislation passed last year returns to the citizens their right to protect themselves. These rights were eroded through a series of bad court decisions. Your home is your castle, and you have a right to be safe inside its walls.

This bill will protect those who legally exercise self-defense with force or deadly force from a future civil law suit and it also expands the number of places that one can legally use force or deadly force, much like in one's own home (or castle).

*"Premises", includes any building, inhabitable structure and any real property

Not sure I would shoot somone over wood, but pretty sure I would approach with Glock in hand, prepared to defend my property.

I am totally up with your home is your castle and you should approach someone, suspiciously on your property with a gun in hand. But you be must aware that if something goes wrong it's up the courts to decide your fate. Not going to go into what could go wrong but punching someone and putting them in the hospital for stealing wood comes to mind. And if it's not your possession or your property then your just an idiot looking to be put in a cage till you smarten up. It could be just the protection you need to keep Pedro (legal or not) from coming back and putting your lights out for good after stealing the landlords gun form his house.

I am totally up with your home is your castle and you should approach someone, suspiciously on your property with a gun in hand. But you be must aware that if something goes wrong it's up the courts to decide your fate. Not going to go into what could go wrong but punching someone and putting them in the hospital for stealing wood comes to mind. And if it's not your possession or your property then your just an idiot looking to be put in a cage till you smarten up. It could be just the protection you need to keep Pedro (legal or not) from coming back and putting your lights out for good after stealing the landlords gun form his house.

thats why you put pedros lights out for good.. beings as though our government wont do anything about it... just my 2 cents... a friend of mine had a concealed carry permit and his attorney told him.. if you ever pull your weapon... dont bring a witness/victim to court.

I doubt that I'll ever live to see a "castle doctrine" law passed in this state. But, I would never the less defend my home as if there was.

The concept that exists, as in the old Missouri law, that it is the homeowners responsibility to retreat from his own home when confronted by an invader, is the sign of a sick and declining society. It is an insulting and repulsive situation when the law is written to protect the intruder, not the homeowner.

There would be no doubt about two things should my home be invaded. First I would definitely be in fear of my life. Truthfully, I'd be scared to death. Second, I'd empty the magazine into the guy.

When I first met my wife she lived in Mississippi, and i had the great pleasure of living there for several years. I was working for a large truck repair place, and enjoyed the people there. Several times I heard the phrase, "He needed killing" and thought no more of it. Little did I know.
Someone broke into the warehouse where my boss kept his toys, motorcycles, airplane, jetskis, etc and stole his prize Harley. The dude later turned up very dead alongside a dusty rural road several weeks later. My boss was charged with the murder.
In court his defense was, "he needed killing". His attorney was able to show that the thief was a scoundrel, had a record of beating women, robbing curb stores, etc, and that my boss had done the taxpayers and local residents a favor by removing him from the county.
My boss was aquitted from all charges, and the judge thanked him for his "service" to his community.
No, I aint kidding in the least. And no, this wasnt a million years ago, it was 1998.

Wood thieves? They need killing......

A friend's uncle was having his wood stolen while he was at work. After the second load was taken, he cut and stacked another pile. In several of the pieces he drilled a hole in the end and inserted a dynamite cap, then plugged the hole with wooden dowel.

He had that stack stolen too, but it was the last one they took. :clap:

When I first met my wife she lived in Mississippi, and i had the great pleasure of living there for several years. I was working for a large truck repair place, and enjoyed the people there. Several times I heard the phrase, "He needed killing" and thought no more of it. Little did I know.
Someone broke into the warehouse where my boss kept his toys, motorcycles, airplane, jetskis, etc and stole his prize Harley. The dude later turned up very dead alongside a dusty rural road several weeks later. My boss was charged with the murder.
In court his defense was, "he needed killing". His attorney was able to show that the thief was a scoundrel, had a record of beating women, robbing curb stores, etc, and that my boss had done the taxpayers and local residents a favor by removing him from the county.
My boss was aquitted from all charges, and the judge thanked him for his "service" to his community.
No, I aint kidding in the least. And no, this wasnt a million years ago, it was 1998.

Wood thieves? They need killing......

Sounds a little more like pre-meditated murder to me. But hey, to each his own I guess...

Sounds a little more like pre-meditated murder to me. But hey, to each his own I guess...

A very different way of life down there to be sure. But on the plus side of things, most folks felt very comfortable in dealing with outlaws as they saw fit.

The Castle doctrine was passed in Michigan last year. It means you are of no obligation to retreat if you feel thretened. Every state that has passed the right to carry law, the crime has been reduced drastically. Join the NRA if you believe in the right to defend your self and family.

A very different way of life down there to be sure. But on the plus side of things, most folks felt very comfortable in dealing with outlaws as they saw fit.

Yeah, I would guess so. Vigilante justice at its best. I don't care much for the system, but I sure would not want individuals with grudges and guns carrying out justice and death sentences. I have a very hard time believing (not calling you a liar!!) that judge actually ruled that, sounds more like an urban myth or something.

Yeah, I would guess so. Vigilante justice at its best. I don't care much for the system, but I sure would not want individuals with grudges and guns carrying out justice and death sentences. I have a very hard time believing (not calling you a liar!!) that judge actually ruled that, sounds more like an urban myth or something.
I wouldnt call it vigilante justice really, Robert hunted the guy down intending to get his bike back, found the guy on it at the time, and sadly the guy made the mistake of not repenting for his sin. Robert probably would have let him go if he had.
Not a myth, I was working there at the time. Feel free to call me a liar, I have been called far worse.
But, as they say, the proof is in the pudding. Call Burroughs Diesel in Laurel MS anytime you like and ask them about Robert Burroughs the owner. In fact, ask for Robert himself. He likes to talk about himself!
Their number is (601) 399-4510.
Tell em Wesley sent you!
Oh, and you can also call Jones County Courthouse and ask them. Everyone knows Robert Burroughs there. Their phone number I believe is 601) 428-4572

Nope, the last straw in the city was a fight outside the house and someone yelling "I've got a gun".

Note: I didn't go outside to see what was going on with that one, just called the Police and let them handle it.

Also, I feel just safe living in the country, more so than living in town.
I guess I just err on the side of caution when strangers pull into the yard, especially in the wee hours of the morning.
The good thing about living in the "country'' is blow their heads off and burrow them in the back 40 who's gonna know? It is getting to that point.

Latest posts

Back