caterpillar INJECTION?????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Themadd1

Themadd1

ArboristSite Operative
So I was looking at a newsletter the other day and saw that there was an injection of acephate that will kill caterpillars.

Arborjet has a system out that I have never used before. I currently use Mauget products and wonder if anyone has opinions on the Arborjet system and/or effectiveness on caterpillars.

Cheers..

Urban Forester

Urban Forester

ArboristSite Guru
I've used the Arborjet Tree IV system for 3 years now on Ashes (EAB) It works well. I like the low pressure/high volume approach. I get complete drain and it's an easy system to work with. The trees appear to be doing well, so far.

Themadd1

Themadd1

ArboristSite Operative
I guess my real concern is whether acephate works on caterpillar through an injection method. Anyway if you have info get it out there.

Thanks,

Themadd1

alanarbor

alanarbor

ArboristSite Guru
I am not sure about the acephate formulation via injection. Reading the label is a good start.

I know there are injectable formulations of abamectin that will give control of caterpillars.

But if you really want it raining dead bugs there's no substitute for bidrin.

Themadd1

Themadd1

ArboristSite Operative
Thanks for the info. I would love to stay away from bidrin if possible. I will check out the abamectin. I have a feeling I will have to stick to my spray formulas for the time being and integrate new weapons as the summer draws near.

Thanks,

THemadd1

John Paul Sanborn

John Paul Sanborn

Above average climber
Acephate is the old strandby Orthene's chemical name. There are many other products using this old organophosphate.

It is very mobile in tissue, is broad spectrum and has a halflife of around 30 days in neutral pH delivery. If I remember right slightly acid carriers will extends that a little, base criers drop the halflife conciderably.

Themadd1

Themadd1

ArboristSite Operative
Thanks for the info. I am going to look into the Arborjet product. I really wanted to get some non-biased opinion before I shelled out the $1500.00 on the injector system. Seems kind of pricy for plastic bottles. I am sure it well made but you never know in this industry.

I have just gotten a bad experience with a new spray rig. I wont say the name of the company but I had two weeks of repair after making a long journey to pick it up.

Fortunately, they sent their tech to do the gear ratio repairs that blew out the pump twice.

Thanks again.

elmnut

elmnut

ArboristSite Operative
Abamectin B1 is the active ingredient in Greyhound, used with the Arborsystem wedgle. Here in Central New York, Forest Tent Caterpillars are out of control. I am going to try injections on a number of trees that can not be treated otherwise. I will post the results.

diltree

diltree

ArboristSite Guru
Abamectin B1 is the active ingredient in Greyhound, used with the Arborsystem wedgle. Here in Central New York, Forest Tent Caterpillars are out of control. I am going to try injections on a number of trees that can not be treated otherwise. I will post the results.

Out laws Josey Wales,

That dendrex stuff really works well, its short money too

Themadd1

Themadd1

ArboristSite Operative
Hello, Everyone I am just checking back to see if people have any results with injections for caterpillars this year. It is still a little early to tell complete effectiveness but there should be some definate visual signs of control.

Let me know I am really interested in results of unbiased field tests.

Cheers

Latest posts