Caution about aftermarket wrist pin clips

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I rebuilt a MS660 for a contractor about three years ago. Don't remember which top end I used but it had the clips with the tabs on both sides. Ease of installation I suppose. Came back about a year later and one of the tabs had broken off. So, I replaced it with a kit that has the tab on just one side. Came back a couple of years later and one of those tabs had broken off. Metal fatigue I suppose.
The saw has seen a lot of hard use, but everything looks pretty decent for a saw run by a crew who less than gives a crap. If not for those wrist pin clips it would have gone a couple more years anyway.
I know they hate to pay OEM, so I will likely just by OEM clips. Hopefully the groove size will allow it.

I love going back a few years, unfortunately, most if not all pics are lost. I came to AS through google search.:cool:

Thing is, nobody knows to do a search if they don't know the problem exists. So, it's not so bad to start a new thread on old problems.

I’ll say! One that comes to mind for me is a complete tear down and rebuild of a jonsered 590. A beautiful job done with a ton of pics. Gone.

Maybe one day I will do one of mine. I thought that thread would be a great reference for me, but not anymore. Besides, I just liked the brand-new jonsered 590 to look at from time to time. Oh well.

I've been toying with the idea of using Echo clips on those aftermarket pistons, the clips with the two short ears. Would be easier to install than the others and work fine for Echo saws. I think they have two different sizes to choose from..

Back