Caution about aftermarket wrist pin clips

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I chalk up the broken off ears due to the increased RPM these saws are running, the old ear type clips were ok when saw engines were running below 10,000 but everything has changed when saws are run over 12,000 and up.
That's one nice thing about running unmodified saws like I do, don't have to worry much about it flying apart at 14k.

That's one nice thing about running unmodified saws like I do, don't have to worry much about it flying apart at 14k.

Those eared clips were fine back in the days of reed valved saws and even a while after the piston ported saws came along but once the stock piston ported saws began running higher RPM , past 12,000 I think the eared clips can`t stand the stop and go hammering at higher RPM, metal fatigue breaks the ears off. My own production saws run up over 14,000 - 15,000 and I know the eared clips wouldn`t stand a chance of lasting in those saws, they only run OEM parts for those saws. Even my occasional use stock saws would not have AM clips in them.

Back