Caution about aftermarket wrist pin clips

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder if some of these vendors of aftermarket pistons and cylinders don't really make the clips, they buy them from another manufacturer? Some of those clips seem quite good while others (the silver colored ones) seem to be not much better than bailing wire..

Maybe it was only single Gs she had, now that you mention it. Either way he said he found the limits to his fun in that arena. Be careful out there boys.

Funny how a half-cent (if that) part is the most important and also most potentially damaging part on a saw. Also funny is how many different wrong methods we use to install em and how many failures occur as a result..., along with how the clip is always to blame, not the installation method. And unless one very carefully measures and compares clips in a mix and match approach, well..., the odds are against the same quality spring steel from clip to clip, let alone correct dimensions between different clips and grooves..., and that goes for OEM clips in AM pistons.

As for cheap-ass AM kits, you get what you pay for (and deserve) and are taking your chances all the way around there, not just with the clips.

FWIW, I've never had an AM clip fail. My only clip failure was OEM and was my fault.

Funny how a half-cent (if that) part is the most important and also most potentially damaging part on a saw. Also funny is how many different wrong methods we use to install em and how many failures occur as a result..., along with how the clip is always to blame, not the installation method. And unless one very carefully measures and compares clips in a mix and match approach, well..., the odds are against the same quality spring steel from clip to clip, let alone correct dimensions between different clips and grooves..., and that goes for OEM clips in AM pistons.

As for cheap-ass AM kits, you get what you pay for (and deserve) and are taking your chances all the way around there, not just with the clips.

FWIW, I've never had an AM clip fail. My only clip failure was OEM and was my fault.

In both of these cases the clip is still in place, just one of the ears is gone. Not sure what installation error could explain that. Now, if it spit the whole clip out I would suspect I had bent it, or not got it properly in place or whatever. But, there is not much to explain a clip losing the ear or tab other than metal fatigue.

I chalk up the broken off ears due to the increased RPM these saws are running, the old ear type clips were ok when saw engines were running below 10,000 but everything has changed when saws are run over 12,000 and up.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing, here. Just sayin' cheap ass is cheap ass and putting undue stress on ears or excessive compression on a clip during installation is more likely to cause a failure than the clip simply coming apart all by itself during operation.

In other words, buy good parts and install them correctly for the best results. Just seems like common sense to me.

Another observation I've made regarding the Hyway kits is that I've occasionally found oversized clips in the kit. I mean flat out the wrong clips. Can you make em fit? Yes. Do you weaken the snot out of em by having to over compress to get em into place? Of course. Should you use em anyway? I wouldn't. To me that's a good case for rooting through your clip stash for a better fitting clip, or send the kit back and take your chances on the replacement having the correct clips. I know what most of us would do.

Back