CB 5036 fired up! Thanks for all the information!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawken

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Wow, what a great site.

I just got my CB 5036 fired up just over a week ago. Previously I had been heating with an add-on wood furnace in my basement and a Lopi insert in my living room.

When I built a 24 x 32 addition to my house I planned for a basement wood burner. I encased a 2’ x2’ opening with fireboard that went from my basement to the attic. I also built a 24” x 30” wood chute from the out side to the basement. It is somewhat like a basement window made out of 11 gauge steel. I was able to back a truck or hay wagon up to the chute and drop the wood into a 5’ by 10’ by 4’tall area that I framed in with ¾ plywood. That was really handy except for all the dirt, dust, mold and bugs. If the wood was wet it would eventually mold and the dust/mold started bothering my daughters’ health.

Now I have the OWB set up and it is great. I am having some trouble balancing the heat out through the house. The part of the house where my furnace is with the water to air heat exchanger is roasting, (my wife keeps turning the heat up to 80). The old part of the house is on a cement slab and all the air duct goes through the attic with very few vents. So while the new section of the house is at 80 the old part only gets to low 60s. The old part of the house was built in sections using cinder blocks, so trying to add vents or even remodeling usually requires a sledge hammer.

I was thinking of sending a pex loop (after the furnace heat exchanger) through the duct work and adding some of those small heat exchangers with blowers. Or, I might have access to a few apartment sized furnaces and I could install one in the old part of the house and separate the duct work into two systems.

I will add pictures of my OWB install and try to give a listing of all the parts and where I purchased them. I used a side pipe for my water heater and used quite a few Sharkbite fittings so it was pretty expensive. I used a lot of ideas from this site, and Scootermsp’s build. Thanks again for all the great information!

Insulate

Wow, what a great site.

I just got my CB 5036 fired up just over a week ago. Previously I had been heating with an add-on wood furnace in my basement and a Lopi insert in my living room.

When I built a 24 x 32 addition to my house I planned for a basement wood burner. I encased a 2’ x2’ opening with fireboard that went from my basement to the attic. I also built a 24” x 30” wood chute from the out side to the basement. It is somewhat like a basement window made out of 11 gauge steel. I was able to back a truck or hay wagon up to the chute and drop the wood into a 5’ by 10’ by 4’tall area that I framed in with ¾ plywood. That was really handy except for all the dirt, dust, mold and bugs. If the wood was wet it would eventually mold and the dust/mold started bothering my daughters’ health.

Now I have the OWB set up and it is great. I am having some trouble balancing the heat out through the house. The part of the house where my furnace is with the water to air heat exchanger is roasting, (my wife keeps turning the heat up to 80). The old part of the house is on a cement slab and all the air duct goes through the attic with very few vents. So while the new section of the house is at 80 the old part only gets to low 60s. The old part of the house was built in sections using cinder blocks, so trying to add vents or even remodeling usually requires a sledge hammer.

I was thinking of sending a pex loop (after the furnace heat exchanger) through the duct work and adding some of those small heat exchangers with blowers. Or, I might have access to a few apartment sized furnaces and I could install one in the old part of the house and separate the duct work into two systems.

I will add pictures of my OWB install and try to give a listing of all the parts and where I purchased them. I used a side pipe for my water heater and used quite a few Sharkbite fittings so it was pretty expensive. I used a lot of ideas from this site, and Scootermsp’s build. Thanks again for all the great information!

If the area around your HX is roasting try foam armalite pipe insulation on your indoor pex, I did as it was making my basement warmer than I wanted (and it is a waste of wood).

You could also add some baseboard radiators to the cold section of the house....or the small kickspace hydronic heaters....sounds like you need more btus there for sure, a 20 degree swing is huge.

Is the ductwork in the attic insulated?...speaking of homemade heaters, here's the one I made for my workshop.

The duct work is insulated. My furnace is located in the basement of the addition of the house. The heating duct splits into two directions one heating the addition with dampers and the other going through a block wall and up into the attic. All of the vents in the old part of the house is in the ceiling. With cement floors this adds up to cold floors. I have ceiling fans in each room to help circulate the warm air down.

The old part of the house is actually well insulated. The exterior blocks are filled with some type of insulation and I put one inch foam sheets when I vinyl sided it.

I am thinking I might be able to pound a hole through a wall where the duct goes from the basement to the attic. Then I can add two vents at ground level in two room. There should be a greater/warmer air flow here. The duct branch will run along the floor of a closet though. Might not be pretty but it will be in a closet and will be cheaper than another HX/blower unit.

Latest posts

Back