Central boiler clearance to building?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nparch726

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My Central 5036 is coming in later this week and I'm getting ready to pour my slab for it, just had a quick question that I can't find on Central's website, thought maybe some of you guys might know from past experience.

I'm going to put it out by my detached garage, roughly 50-60 feet from the house, does anybody know how close it can be to a building? Obviously I don't want it sitting right next to the garage, but I thought about having it roughly 3-4 feet away, does anybody know if that is doable? Trying to get it installed and still have a bit of room there for parking in the summer, and of course wood storage through the heating season!

Hopefully you guys have some input, thanks a lot! I plan on asking my dealer when I pick up the unit and calling Central if need be, just wanted to get some work done ahead of time!

Mine is tucked under my shed, so mine is 0". My shed contains my 4 wheeler, snowmobile, boat and wood pile. My CB is a 5648.

mine is right behind my shop...metal building...I'll have to check tommorrow but I only put it a few inches past mininum...think it was 3 feet or so for the unit which put the stack about 2 feet off the building if your facing the back to the building which mine is.

Hey pwl, with yours in your shed...how is the smoke when you open the door? I'm planning to put a roof over mine this summer...was planning out how to get rid of the smoke under the roof...alot rolls out when I open it :)

Mine is also in a shed 15' x 50'. Smoke gets bad I open the doors and let her air out.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I put mine in a 20' X 20' building and have NOT regreted it. Have enough room for a seasons wood needs. (averaging 13 cord a year) Wood AND I stay dry and also gain a little heat from the wind not wicking heat away from the door. I neeve liked standing in the rain and dealing with wet wood or tarps.

I put a good exhaust fan in the peak of the backwall and it pulls the smoke out fine. You basically learn to time your loading when it is burned down so it doesn't roll the smoke out.

My e-classic instruction book says minimum is 18 inches. That is how far I put mine behind the garage. I have vinyl siding on the garage and have had no problems.

update!

Just to update you guys, I called Central Boiler and talked to a gentleman there that said the unit should be installed 25 feet from any building, even a detached garage! I kinda have a hard time believing that, but he might just be trying to sell more pipe, they gotta make a killing on that stuff!

I was at a friend's tonight and looked at the nameplate on his 6048, and the clearance to combustibles printed on it were 18" from the rear, 48" from the front, and 6" from the sides. I definately like the sounds of that better, I was wanting to mount mine roughly 3'-4' from the garage, so I think I oughta be ok with that according to the Central nameplate.

25 feet?? What the heck...I thought it was right in the owners manual also...will have to check...I put mine a few inches past where my dealer said which was right in the 24" range from the rear of the chimney..think I was 3 or so from the unit.

first of all check with your insurance company. we have a 50' rule from the house. it can be in a shed as long as manufactures requirements are met(18" rear, 48" front etc). now if you put it beside a 20' wide garage that is only 30' from the house this doesn't work as the garage now becomes part of the boiler.

Latest posts

Back