Central Boiler?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtimm

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Today my 5036 was running a temp? To high for what it was set at. It is set at 165 and it was reading in the 180's. What could be causing this?

Generally the consensus for OWB running a high temp is air getting to the fire when it shouldn't be. Gasket, damper door with with something stuck in it like creosote build up or small coal stuck etc.

On warmer days such as yesterday it is not uncommon to see the boiler a few degrees off of what you have it set for. It's not working that hard, and dissapating less heat than if it were cooler out. As long as it doesn not boil over, I would notbe concerned. To be safe, check the door and damper as mentioned. Perhaps luve the solenoid.

That's been along the lines of what I was thinking. It is staying in the 180's, so I'll have to check the above suggestions. Thanks!

15 degrees over set point indicates a problem. Your vent should snap shut at exactly 165. Is it doing this ?? If not you have an electronic problem. If it is closing at set point of 165 and your temp is that high it is almost certainly your door gasket.

Damper must not shut all the way. You could have a small build up around the edges of the damper. Put a pail over your stack and see where the smoke goes out.

Doesn't look like it's the damper, must be the door seal?

yep door seal...my 5036 was doing the same thing when I shut it down weeks ago. Had it set to 165 but it was hard to keep it that low air would creep in the door seal and smolter the fire hotter than I was getting rid of the heat so it was up in the 170's or higher all the time. You can easily tighten up the door which I did twice this winter...mine is just ready for a new door seal next season, been 3 years and it's getting air in.

I have a problem with my CB overheating only if the wind is blowing from the west directly to the door and gusting to 15-20 mph or above. No or little wind , it only goes a few deg. above the shutoff setpoint. I have a steel door off an enclosure that I set in front of the door on the fire box and that stops the overheating. Sometime this summer I'll make a cover to block the wind and fasten it to the damper cover and leave it there year round.

I hear there's an adjusment on the door to tighten it? Anyone tightened their door, and if so how do ya adjust it?

It's easy...pictures in the owner manual but all you need is an adjustable wrench. The large 1" or so pin that the door latch "snaps" down on slides forward and backward..you loosen the nut at the bottom of that pin to slide it...only takes a little bit and you can feel it tighten up alot as you push the door latch up...if you haven't tightened it and your temp is raising, my guess is it needs to be tightened. I did it probably 3 times, I think my door gasket is now shot but the first couple times it helped alot.

I made the adjustment, but it's hard to tell if it's working...although I think it is.

Back