Ceramic coated cylinder, 066 project, first look...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

watsonr

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Haven't seen any of these talked about here. A company sent me one for testing as an exclusive. Coating is really smooth, ports have a nice bevel on them. The saw is a tree service customer of mine that is always willing to provide test mules, gets free stuff, why not! Beat to death, top end smoked, filthy saw!

Clean saw, love that Purple Power... spray rinse and BAM, looks like new!

The cylinder, good pic to see the coating, port shape and bevel on the edges. I don't like the exhaust shape, flat roof... but I was told not to touch it! They are telling me that this is a 1 yr warranty against any failure... we'll see if it eats rings!:msp_sneaky: Nice clips, a little stiff like all the others, but no ears!

The finish is really nice but that exhaust roof. Piston had no casting flash left anywhere. The ceramic coating in this is exceptional, its the smoothest I've ever felt, combustion chamber is coated as well, wondering if the rings will actually seal. Project is waiting a fuel line, impulse tube and time to finish!

Last edited:
i'd like to see the jug after 50 hours of a tree service beaten on it

whats the coating going to look like?

Maybe this :msp_wub:
or could be this :censored:

We shall see!

Lucky if these guys can even keep a saw running that long really, they treat them like:poop:
I've got 9 of his saws in the last 3 weeks, all smoked, beat to hell!

Last edited:
Now this could get interesting. How's the ring thickness when compared to Cabers and Hyways?

I have to watch this !!
Is this a production thing, or any cylinder could be coated ?
Care to drop any names ? (I know, I know, but I HAD to ask !)

This company has taken notice!

Recently during a conversation, I told them there products were inconsistent and basically junk. They countered with a new cylinder, carried by only them and produced to there exact specs. It's probably one of the first ever coated with ceramic specifically for a saw. I did not get input to its shape or anything, just a "will you test it"? They will only do this in this size as of now, more may follow but not sure.

No clue how there are doing it, I can say there were no machine marks that I could see on the cylinder wall but could see some swirl marks in the combustion chamber area. Squish was not consistent.... was .031, .034, .038, .044 without a gasket. Haven't measured the compression yet.

I was told that it will carry a 1 year warranty, that's impressive... it may not run great, but they are trying to make improvements! The entire inside is coated, wonder if it would chip if I put a grinder to it?

Someone else seen or have one?

Interesting. Wonder how the rings will seat.

I don't know. They either need to be really hard so they don't wear out of soft to conform to the wall. I'm wondering if a split ductile ring would work better. These look like Cabers, there cast iron for sure. They may not last, the exhaust roof is pretty flat.

This company has taken notice!

Recently during a conversation, I told them there products were inconsistent and basically junk. They countered with a new cylinder, carried by only them and produced to there exact specs. It's probably one of the first ever coated with ceramic specifically for a saw. I did not get input to its shape or anything, just a "will you test it"? They will only do this in this size as of now, more may follow but not sure.

No clue how there are doing it, I can say there were no machine marks that I could see on the cylinder wall but could see some swirl marks in the combustion chamber area. Squish was not consistent.... was .031, .034, .038, .044 without a gasket. Haven't measured the compression yet.

I was told that it will carry a 1 year warranty, that's impressive... it may not run great, but they are trying to make improvements! The entire inside is coated, wonder if it would chip if I put a grinder to it?

Someone else seen or have one?

I'm confused. I know I'm going to catch of flack for this, but seriously. How is this kit an improvement if it has so many serious problems. Squish is .048"-.061" with a gasket. Not only is that WAY excessive in clearance, but it varies .013". The exhaust port roof is admittedly way too flat. The intake port shape is way off. I just don't understand why we are praising changes that do nothing to address the real problems. Ceramic coating does nothing to address these issues. I'M NOT JUST HERE TO RAIN ON YOUR PARADE! Tell them to fix the foundational design flaws first. I don't care what kind of warranty they offer if the initial quality isn't there. That topend is worth a whole lot less than the rest of the saw should it grenade and take everything else out. Unfortunately, I speak from experience:(

I'm confused. I know I'm going to catch of flack for this, but seriously. How is this kit an improvement if it has so many serious problems. Squish is .048"-.061" with a gasket. Not only is that WAY excessive in clearance, but it varies .013". The exhaust port roof is admittedly way too flat. The intake port shape is way off. I just don't understand why we are praising changes that do nothing to address the real problems. Ceramic coating does nothing to address these issues. I'M NOT JUST HERE TO RAIN ON YOUR PARADE! Tell them to fix the foundational design flaws first. I don't care what kind of warranty they offer if the initial quality isn't there. That topend is worth a whole lot less than the rest of the saw should it grenade and take everything else out. Unfortunately, I speak from experience:(

1 of 1 = PROTOTYPE.........input = changes....... In my mind they are testing coating.............before you get on your soapbox again and damn the product before it ever makes it into production just take a deep breath.........

The company I work for has a plasma torch (as in 105 KW, 4,000+ degrees F, ei FREAKING HOT)

Anyways, I do all the internal design for the torch and we use it to melt powders to deposit on a substrate. Process is called thermal spray

For example you can put a tungsten carbide coating (extreme high wear) on hydraulic rams and cylinders instead of chrome

I'm wondering if this coating could be something like that?

Anyways good luck to the company I hope it works out

Back