Certification

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newb

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey All, I have been working in the trees for over a year now doing removals and trims. I have all my own gear for climbing and rigging and so far have not had to make an insurance claim. Ive learned alot this first year listening to most everyone the boards here. My question now is about certification. Although I dont have the time to go back to school could I get certified doing correspondence courcses through the mail, and if so what would be a good start. Thanks Pete

sorry

No you can't ISA reguires at least 3yrs with a company before they
accept your application to take exam

You are ok with ISA, they don't check. Just send in your money, buy the study guide.....and study. Take the exam and....bingo!!

do they

ok so ISA need 3 years ive been told that get the boss to write a letter saying that you have been there 3 years and bingo.

ive been told that you have to have 5 years climbing and rigging to become a LOLER inspector, we have a grounds man who is a LOLER inspector who has been ticketed to climb for 4 years but cant climb and never really did.

go figure

jamie

TREETX said:
You are ok with ISA, they don't check. Just send in your money, buy the study guide.....and study. Take the exam and....bingo!!
The ISA is first and foremost interested in the money, always remember that. :cool:

Pete,

You may not have the time to take additional classes, but anything you could do will help you in your carreer. If there is something available correspondence in the feild, take it.

As for certification, you sound like youre close to the acceptable time 18 mon) for becoming a Certified Tree Worker. Its kind of a precurser to the Cer. Arb.

Best of luck!

ISA certified arborist test has very little to do with the climbing aspect of tree care. It is only about 10% of the test. In fact some folks that never climbed a tree before are probably CA and proud of it. Do a search on certified arborist here on site. Not saying it is not worth it, education in the field will hopefully help you advance, just depends on who you work for and what you hope to get out of it. Good luck. :)

What--- Just a card to carry in our wallets--- Nothing to frame to hang on the wall---- How much extra to be MM board certified ---- :rolleyes:

Larry

I still think it's a process by which the tcia, nsa ,nas etc. etc can extract money from you for very! little practical training. In a word,unionization. If you get the public all this info about cert then most of the best climber and arborists I know will have to pay or get out.....people, we have a unique situaltion here. Nobody shows anything but insurance at this point. Next you know, insurance will demand every ????ed class and cert you can imagine. Our business is one the the few left in this country to work for cash.

i have taken the home study courses (TCIA), and "yes" it's a bit of a money mill. but it was not for a card to flash in peoples' faces. the info provided was very useful and it reinforced what i have been learning. there's no shame in continued, structured learning. if i have to pay to get it, so be it. i'll be taking the isa exam this month. oh, by-the-way >>> i also paid for my cdl-a, my med. card, my cpr card, etc. etc. $$$ is the name of the game...c'est la vie

If I am not mistaken there is three ways you can be qualified to take the ISA Arborist test; 1) 3years expeirence 2) Two year degree(AS) in a related feild and two years expeirence and 3) Four year degree (BS) in a related feild and one year expeirence. So depending on what kind of schooling you have it could be closer then you think.

Thanks for all your replies. Maybe its just me but having the card will make a few customers happy. So, where do I start. Can I get the study guide from Sherrill? What do you guys and gals think? Thanks Pete

Tcia

Hi, Pete. TCIA ph.# 800-733-2622 (i have one of their books here & looked it up) Prices as follows (home study) : Basic Arboriculture Course $80 members / $105 for non-members. Same for the Advanced Course. It's usually easy enough to find a member and order it through them. Best of luck ! Theresa

Is this that new program from TCIA, where you can become " Accredited " or is it something different?? I have been meaning to start a thread on this new program, so I guess this is a good a place as any to bring it up.

Anyone have any info on this new program from TCIA?? Tom D's new company Swingle Tree Care was mentioned as being accredited in last month's TCI. All the others that were mentioned were companies with branch offices, so is this for just bigger comapanies or can individuals get in on this??

This appears to be TCIA 's attempt to match to the ISA's certification program.

Larry

"Accredidation" vs. "Certification"

Hope I got this right ??? >>> TCIA's accredidation program is for tree companies who want to be recognized in the industry (and ultimately the CUSTOMERS) as being held to a certain set of standards. Different creature than the Home Study Courses they offer, which is for student arborists. You DO get a 'certificate of completion', and that's atleast a 'something' to show customers... "I have completed the TCIA's basic and advanced arboriculture courses and plan to be fully certified through the ISA by such-and-such a date..." You get the idea. If you are already certified throught the ISA and need CEU's (Continued Education Credits) the completed home study courses count as 8 credits per book. The home study courses are pretty much a "gimme">>> the answers are right there in the book. It's more of a learning tool, with a little pat on the back at the end of it, and if you take it even semi-seriously, you'll learn tons and bunches.

Back