Chain Clamp for Sharpening by Hand

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pierreg

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Has anyone here seen a chain clamp that holds the chain in place to prevent moving? They fit in a vise and really hold the chain so both hands are free.Five or so teeth can be sharpened at one time.I thought someone might have a fab. one or purchased one. Thanks.

Like this?

attachment.php

That would be it.

Yes Super3. The one I saw was a bit longer. Where did you get that? Hey dare yooper,you cannot do a good job when the chain wiggles. The chain has to be off the saw no question about it.

Yes Super3. The one I saw was a bit longer. Where did you get that? Hey dare yooper,you cannot do a good job when the chain wiggles. The chain has to be off the saw no question about it.

I misunderstood you, I thought you where clamping your bar and saw in a vise. You dont really take the chain off the saw every time you sharpen it do you?

vise and chainbrake for me in the shop. or stump and stump vise in the woods.

Well, maybe some folks can't do a good job with the chain on the saw, but I've sharpened more chain on a saw than off. I hate to toot my own horn, but I've been told I do a pretty good job.

My dad used to tell me that "Old man can't never did nothin' ".

Andy

You dont really take the chain off the saw every time you sharpen it do you?

It's a PIA if you have more than one chain per saw and you want them all touched up / sharpened before you head out in the field. You don't want to mount/unmount each one. A clamp like that would also let you leave your saw in the shed, truck, etc., and just bring the chains into the shop, basement, (kitchen if you are single), etc.

I have some old bars that I used to use with an Oregon, bar mounted file guide (similar to the Granberg file guide), but the chains move around a lot unless they are clamped or under tension.

I would be interested in a clamp like the one shown by super3. Anybody know who sells them? Will keep an eye out for the old style saw sharpening clamps like drill.dady referenced at garage sales.

Philbert

Last edited:
i never remove chain to sharpen

I always sharpen my chains on the bar and they do really well. I don't know how well they would pass a scientific measurement test, but my test is - does it throw chips? I touch the chain up with 4 strokes of a file on each link every time I refuel and my saws stay very aggressive.

When I see dust in spite of the sharpening I make 4 strokes on each raker - never bother with a depth guage.

I am sure I could squeeze a little more efficiency out of the chain, but this approach takes 5 minutes (18" bar) and can be done anywhere. I have a stump vise to hold the bar steady that I use about 1/2 the time.

Remember, a dull chain puts unreasonable wear on your saw (and body) and creates a higher risk of kickback. Better to keep a chain close to 80-90% sharp all the time than to let it degrade significantly (say to 50%) then bring it up to 95%. You spend too much time cutting with a chain in a dangerous state. The only way around taht is to hit it each tank of gas or swap chains regularly.

Sharpening

I meant to take the chain off after a few bar sharpenings.The vise arrangement locks the chain and two hands let you file correctly. This would be several loops at a time. Field sharpening for this southpaw is less than acceptable. Cheers.

Clamp an old clapped out bar in the bench vice.

Drill small hole approx 1/8" below the rail.

Flop the chain on the bar and shove a nail through the hole so it arrests the drive links movement.

I file single handed out of habit, and use the knuckle of the offhand to index the angle of the file while holding the chain, so it might not be the best set up for everyone, just an option.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

[QUOTEWhere did you get that? :givebeer:[/QUOTE]

I made it out of a couple pieces of flat bar & handles from MSC.

I thought about that

if i have to sharp chains that aren't on the bar i simply clamp the chain in bench vice.

but was worried about the jaws scoring the D/L's...

how about 2 pieces of angle iron, out a tiny wow in them so they stay tight, you can make them a bit wider than the vice and still have a solid hold.

perhaps 10" for a 6" vice.

. . . how about 2 pieces of angle iron, out a tiny wow in them so they stay tight, you can make them a bit wider than the vice and still have a solid hold.

I have a couple of sets of 'soft jaws' for my machinist's vice. One set has inverted, 'L'-shaped aluminum extrusions that are held to the steel vice jaws with rare earth magnets. Something like that could work.

The holding device should clamp/unclamp easily, hold the teeth rigidly, allow the chain to be pulled easily through (like the rounded end of a bar nose), and allow adequate hand clearance for holding the file. You might be able to do this with aluminum angle if you rig up a pulley to guide the chain in without hanging up.

I think that a company could easily sell something like super3's design.

Philbert

Back