Chain Clamp for Sharpening by Hand

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, here's a fast-n-nasty that I made out of 2 8" chipper knives that were wore down pretty good, and a piece of angle iron. I use it filing race chains.

ChainVice003.jpg

ChainVice002.jpg

Andy

Ok, here's a fast-n-nasty that I made out of 2 8" chipper knives that were wore down pretty good, and a piece of angle iron. I use it filing race chains.

ChainVice003.jpg

ChainVice002.jpg

Andy

That is cool. I always file it on the saw. But if I was racing, I would do this.

I can see this....

ChainVice003.jpg

ChainVice002.jpg

Andy

this would be easy to make with an extension off the bottom of back one, and clamp that extension in a vice for a incredibly solid filing vise.

less work is needed when the chain is held SOLID

Thanks Andy,

Do you loosen and snug the bolts each time, or just keep it tight enough to hold the drive links without binding?

Philbert

I only use it for filing race chain, so I loosen and tighten the nuts each time I move the chain. One thing I learned is that after a while the filings will ruin the threads if you don't keep them clean. But I get a lot more filings from a race chain than you would sharpening a work chain.
If you're going to try this vice, you will need to put a couple of small welds on the inside back of one of the knives. This acts as a spacer, and lets the top actually clamp the drivers tight.

Andy

this would be easy to make with an extension off the bottom of back one, and clamp that extension in a vice for a incredibly solid filing vise.

less work is needed when the chain is held SOLID

That is a good idea, and would make it where you could put it up out of the way when not needed. I will say though, if you need it more solid than this you are pushing on your files way too hard.

Andy

I just hate when the file jumps!

That is a good idea, and would make it where you could put it up out of the way when not needed. I will say though, if you need it more solid than this you are pushing on your files way too hard.

Andy

when she's held solid, it's easier for me to feel the file cut. instead of just sliding along jumpy style...

solid metal+Sharp file+light touch=smooth surface

if i have to sharp chains that aren't on the bar i simply clamp the chain in bench vice.

I do that as well

but was worried about the jaws scoring the D/L's...

Nope...don't dawg the vise down so hard.!

how about 2 pieces of angle iron, out a tiny wow in them so they stay tight, you can make them a bit wider than the vice and still have a solid hold.

perhaps 10" for a 6" vice.

Done that too, without the wow...clamping directly in the vise is better.

ChainVice003.jpg

ChainVice002.jpg

Andy

You could make one like Red's and instead of the two nuts, get some knobs that have threaded rod in them...

all ideers are good tho...:clap::clap:

Back