Chain containers?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billy_Bob

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Are there any plastic containers I *can't* use to keep a bar chain in?

Specifically, will bar oil, wd-40, etc. "melt" the plastic on any containers like plastic bags, tupperwear, etc.?

I've made the mistake of cleaning parts with gasoline in a plastic container, then the plastic melts from the gasoline. Wonder if bar oil can do this as well?

Nah bar oil and WD40 wont affect plastic. Maybe discolor it if its clear or white.

If you do not need them to be airtight...

Cut an old bar oil container open at the top, drop the chain in, and tape it shut///

If it has a "2" recycling symbol on it you're good to go for sure...other than that, I'd be guessing, and I've had mixed results with oils both bio and petroleum based on other plastics.

High density polyethylene containers should be ok to put oil or wd40 in or otherwise containers made of PET will also be ok but if in doubt check it by putting a little bit of wd40 or oil in to see if it eats through I would not trust anything made from low density or linear low density plastics

Diesel JD said:
If it has a "2" recycling symbol on it you're good to go for sure...

That's a good idea! Look at the recycling number on the jug of bar oil and find a container (tupperwear/plastic bag) with the same recycling number. Or plastic gasoline container, find another container with same recycling number.

(I can count if it is not over 10, if higher I would need to take off my shoes, but I think those recycling numbers only go up to around 7, so I should have no problems!)

Billy_Bob said:
That's a good idea! Look at the recycling number on the jug of bar oil and find a container (tupperwear/plastic bag) with the same recycling number. Or plastic gasoline container, find another container with same recycling number.

(I can count if it is not over 10, if higher I would need to take off my shoes, but I think those recycling numbers only go up to around 7, so I should have no problems!)

Well I can get to 20 1/2 by taking my pants off.

Harry K

Well after eating that big meal yesterday, maybe he can only see half? :)

Anyway I checked my various bar oil containers and they all had a recycle "2" on the bottom. So I guess if I stick to containers with a 2 on them, I should be OK.

There was no recycle number on any of my plastic gas cans.

i have a couple of customers that use a plastic ice cream container,schwans i think, to store chains in an oil bath. they have a tight fitting lid and a wire handle to carry them. marty

I use those Glad throw away tupperware containers. Soak a rag in bar oil, and wrap the chain in the rag. I mark the lids with a Sharpie with the length of chain, guage, and pitch of the chain so I know which bar and saw it fits without having to fit it on the saw only to find out it's the wrong one. Come to think of it, I wonder if the lids come in different colors....
Onelick

Latest posts

Back