Chain Gauge??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do not know why anybody would worry about chain gauges anyway since they never work.

Not sure what gauges you are thinking of? We are talking about a gauge to measure the gauge (width) of the drivers. Most of the gauges also have a bunch of other measured, like chain pitch, file size, top plate angle, depth guage depth.

If I get a loop brought in, let's say for sharpening and the customer says he wants more new loops made, I'll sometimes measure their loop then. I don't do enough chains a day to be 100% sure of what all chains are.
For example my "calibrated eyeball" isn't good enough to tell if a chain is .050 or .058 without having a known chain to compare to.

Philbert now I think I see the problem. Some how you have time to sort out a bunch of chains that you borrowed from a historic museum to put on display for the rest to wonder about where they came from. And to top it all off they are all clean sized from large to small and back to large. I do have a few 3/8 micro chains which rarely get used, but now and then they cut some thing. Every thing else uses 3/8 semi or 404 semi what do I have to know? I drive up to a pile of logs several thousands ( s ) ( s ) and start up a saw and watch the chips. If the chips are dark brown I know that I just want to use a chain that is aggressive and move them out of the way. If the chips are light colored causing the motor to lug a little then I know I have some keepers. Some days I will have to cut 10 or 15 cords to get a couple of good cords and other days just 3 or 4. During this process big knots and small knots and gravel show up forcing me to get the dreaded file out to reshape the teeth. This process can at the most take 10 minutes on a 30'' bar. After 10 to 20 days of cutting and my ice is getting low I fill up my truck with a load and start driving to the closest taco stand that I know my dog will enjoy. So how in the world would I know or care if the chain is 050 or 063 or 1/2 wide? Actually as we have discussed I rarely look at the chain or teeth as it is the only time during the day that I can watch my dog chase around barking at the bears. Thanks

Latest posts

Back