Chain Grinders

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You say use semi but I bet you like it square........Ya noob.
For clean wood yes...I need to run the Silvey this week, but for dirty firewood lately it has been round semi.
ecaa9a6734298174b29b5b10a706b811.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I require all employees to do all their own chains it's part of their job including myself.
Nothing wrong with that. Works best if they file chains right on their bars. But if they use a grinder, or share a vise to hold the saws, you can end up with a line at the end of the day.

Some people are better at sharpening than others. Even in the old logging camps, there were dedicated saw filers who supported the fallers and buckers.

On some disasters I have had to set up a grinder in the field, run off a generator, just to keep up with all the debris we hit. Otherwise, we swap out chains, and I take a bunch home and can do them at night, on weekends, etc., rather than taking time in the field.

Whatever works for your company, group, organization.

Philbert

Nothing wrong with that. Works best if they file chains right on their bars. But if they use a grinder, or share a vise to hold the saws, you can end up with a line at the end of the day.

Some people are better at sharpening than others. Even in the old logging camps, there were dedicated saw filers who supported the fallers and buckers.

On some disasters I have had to set up a grinder in the field, run off a generator, just to keep up with all the debris we hit. Otherwise, we swap out chains, and I take a bunch home and can do them at night, on weekends, etc., rather than taking time in the field.

Whatever works for your company, group, organization.

Philbert
Phil I let them do the harvester chains and keep a week or more of chains for the guys running saws, that said I'm the only one who does the rakers because even filed they aren't keeping up on them or even.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Is that to imply that the tilt feature is the main difference between the 510 and 511? My Tecomec has the tilt and I never use it.
620-120
Up to 3/4-inch pitch chain.
4.3A,
300W, 3400 RPM, 0.4 HP motor
Hydraulic clamping version of 520-120 grinder (replaces model 551462)
http://www.oregonproducts.com/pro/products/accessories/BenchGrinder_620-120.htm

520-120
Up to .404 inch pitch chain
4.3A, 300W, 3400 RPM, 0.4 HP motor
Down angle tilt, self centering vise, wheel wear compensation, built-in light
http://www.oregonproducts.com/pro/products/accessories/BenchGrinder_520-120.htm

511AX (discontinued - replaced by 520)
Up to 3/4 inch pitch chain
3 amp, 285 watt, 3400 RPM direct-drive motor, 0.38 horsepower
Down angle tilt, self-centering vise, wheel wear compensation, built-in light
http://www.oregonproducts.com/pro/products/accessories/511AXBenchChainGrinder.htm
http://www.oregonproducts.com/pdfs/511AX_107100-AE_low-res.pdf

510A (discontinued)
Up to .404 inch pitch chain
300 watt, 3400 RPM, .38 horsepower,
http://www.oregonproducts.com/pro/products/accessories/510a-benchchaingrinder.htm
http://www.oregonproducts.com/pdfs/510A_A107101-AB_low-res.pdf

These are all variations on a similar design. Some of the features on the Tecomec versions vary slightly.
- Some have a light (I really like that).
- Some have the 'down angle tilt' - some guys think that this really makes a difference, and would be disappointed without that option.
- Some can do 3/4-inch pitch chain (usually a special case situation for harvesters).
- Some vises are reportedly 'self-centering', or have wheel wear compensation.
- The newer models claim slightly more powerful motors.

Figure out which of these features are important to you (or to your 'clients'), and which are not.

Philbert

Do they do harvester chains up to 3/4? I've never seen one being close to Silvey.

Not sure. I know I can on my Silvey 510. But, being that Silvey is a hard find, the Stihl I had for round stuff was very well built and seemed to cut good.
I only run square, but the round fellas seemed happy.

Not sure. I know I can on my Silvey 510. But, being that Silvey is a hard find, the Stihl I had for round stuff was very well built and seemed to cut good.
A 510 won't run the P&D or 3/4 chains. They are a dedicated machine. Well a silvey anyways.

Cheers to square only it's what I run falling and feel you there.

Great thread! I run a Oregon 511 for round. If you keep the the wheel dressed it does a good Job.

As for hand filing its a must in the field. Every tank or every other I give a quick touch up with the file. But every now and then I throw it on the grinder to true the chain up and get my angles right

Great thread! I run a Oregon 511 for round. If you keep the the wheel dressed it does a good Job.

As for hand filing its a must in the field. Every tank or every other I give a quick touch up with the file. But every now and then I throw it on the grinder to true the chain up and get my angles right
I hate to say this this but at the end of the day if a chain has been ran it needs to be put on a grinder, now for what I do inches really count doing big Doug fir poles.

Sent from
A 510 won't run the P&D or 3/4 chains. They are a dedicated machine. Well a silvey anyways.

The chain rides on the rails of the grinder good enough with the pawls still stopping the tooth to get a good grind (with the thicker wheel). Hooky, but works. I've done lots of Timbco and delimber chains this way. Although the delimber chain were easier.

I hate to say this this but at the end of the day if a chain has been ran it needs to be put on a grinder, now for what I do inches really count doing big Doug fir poles.

I agree, file in the field throughout the day while cutting. Then throw it on the grinder to true it up.
This way the chain is always sharp and you spend very little time on the file or grinder

Yep, always grind. I am anal though. Always have one on my saw and two in my pack. Spending time on a chain is easier on everything.

Yep, always grind. I am anal though. Always have one on my saw and two in my pack. Spending time on a chain is easier on everything.
It's always cheaper to grind too many then it is not too have enough I carry up 7 chains in my bucket.

Latest posts

Back