Chain: Loops or reel?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, guys, for the explanation. That is what I thought. I just bought a couple loops of 3/8-50-72 from Amicks for around $30 delivered. That is hard to beat. I just ordered some others from Baileys that are reasonable also. I think that I will continue doing that. It would take a lot of chains to pay for good tools.:clap:

hey we are both saying basically the same thing. I'm also running square 3/8 .050 on my 064 and 046.

as for availability of bars over 32in with .050... look around a bit... only been able to find .050 up to 32 in. it may be different in Canada.

I'm only running 404 with 084 (32in and 4ft), but loads of folks run 3/8 on 084, but mostly with .063.

bottom line is gauge really don't make much difference other than standardization issues. .050 and .063 is what popular here... other places may like .058, which to me is oddball. what ever... if all your bars are .058 and you buy a 100ft roll to support it. that's the way to go.

Hate to argue, but we run a factory Stihl bar at work that's 36", 3/8 .050 on the 066, full house square chisel.............................. 8 saws at work from 026 to 066 all running 3/8 .050. same deal at home, 3 saws from 034super to 084 all running .050. I do have .404 for the big saw, but only on the 4 foot bar, not the short (30") one.

Since this topic came back to life, I'll give an update. My breaker/spinner, 50 feet of LGX and 25' of LP should be coming today. I will surely have some questions for all of you smart guys later!

Thanks

:agree2:
I get loops made up from a UK seller on ebay called Kwikchip - a really sound guy, Stihl dealer, and no part is too small for him to get. I just add to my order until it's a reasonable amount, then he sends it out.
He's an arborist, so he knows what I need, and "kindly suggests" what I may need soon - which always turns out to be true. I buy RSC and Picco by the loop, and he always sorts me out with what I require - normally next day delivery. Good fella!

Just tried him on your recomend. Good deal on a couple of loops.I`ll build up a resonable order next time.

Latest posts

Back