Chain Prices

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A 24" 3/8 x .063 chain, 066 Stihl, is $60! 20" 72DL $46.
We get ripped off here.

Seems like same here. A 20" 3/8 stihl loop is $39.95 plus 15% tax and the 2nd loop is 35% off. I buy stihl by the roll from the same dealer at a discounted price. Even if i had to pay that kinda money for a loop it would still be worth it for the quality. I bought lazer chain rolls before and still have many loops in rotation and i want to throw them right in the scrap pile - and some are like new.

I normally buy my chains in loops because i don't want to mess with making my own as i don't use that many.

My Husqvarna/Dolmar dealer sells Oregon or Husky pre-boxed chain for $1 an inch for the first chain and $.50 cents an inch for the second chain, so $36 bucks for 2 24 inch chains.

I went to the local Stihl dealer and looked at chains and his price is $26 for the first chain and $13 for the second, so $39 for 2 24 inch Stihl chains.

So my question is: Is it worth the extra $3 to go with the Stihl chains?

Those two chains would cost me about 27 or 28 bucks at my dealer (13.00 or 14.00 a piece) and that’s for square ground Stihl RSL or RSLF (skip).

Yes IMO it is worth the $3.00 to get the Stihl chain, it will be harder to sharpen (harder steel) but it will hold it's edge much longer.

If your just learning to file I would recommend the Oregon chain, it’s much softer and easier to learn on, but once you have it down switch to Stihl and never look back.

Just my thoughts but if your dealer can afford to sell you the second or third or fourth chain at $.50 an inch then he can afford to sell you the first one for $.50 an inch also. If your buying one chain every 6 month's then expect to pay the higher prices but if your a good customer talk to him you might be surprised.

Latest posts

Back