Chain prices

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pea

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Where can I get the best buy on a 100' reel of chain? I have a I have a Cutters catalog and a Baileys catalog.

Why does everyone expect to get wholesale price? How are we dealers going to keep the doors open?

Buy it off the net, find out for free how to fix it on the net, and get wholesale on everything; that seems to be the expectation.

I'll help a little once in a while on the forum where someone has an older model, but I have a sign on the inside of the front door of the shop for the recent wholesale buyers, and it is not politically correct; as a matter of fact it's not nice at all.

I don't need their distress business, I got all I want to do without it.

I don't know Tony, I guess maybe everyone is just trying to make ends meet. You probably wouldn't pay double for a car, so why do so for chains? (or anything else for that matter)

i can certainly understand tonys position.
for most of us these saws are our toys ,even tho we may make our livin w it.
for him its a matter of buisiness ups an downs.
one thing i think i see tho is a tendency to use dealers in some other area.
the internet is makin the world smaller all the time. ive found a good chain man,but for serious repairs,i might consider sending the saw off.
conversely it seems u dealers have a new opportunity for previously unavailable buisiness due to the same thing.jmho
ps a really good repair shop is going to do well ,even w local buisiness ,i would think. not telling u fellas your buisiness.
jmho

My local Jonsered guy sells Oregon and Carlton 3/8" chain for $13 for 72 drivers. Not bad for over the counter. I have heard of dealers getting $0.37/driver for making up chains on the spot, making that chain to fit a 20" bar worth about $29.

If I was forced by geography or circumstance to pay such rates, I'd probably look for a wholesale deal, too.

I think we can all agree prices are high enough don't we? Anyone here feel they would like to pay more for things they need or want? If so please let me know. I'd love to hear about it.

Commercial Cutters Direct is the way to go

Commercial Cutters is where I order all of my chain, granted, I use premade loops because I really don't have the time to screw around with making my own. But, commercial cutters also sells reels.

Premade 35lg81 (.325, 20", .063) for my Stihl runs me $12.95 a loop at commercial cutters. Watch out for the shipping though. On three loops of chain, the shipping would be $7.95. I called and asked if shipping would go up if I added a new bar to the order, they said it wouldn't, so I added one.

oh yeah, got the 20" bar for $29.99

I figured out that if I had the tools, I could make my own loops for a little more than half of this cost if I bought a reel, but, that goes back up to my earlier statement about time.

http://www.commercialcutters.com

Just my contribution,

Mark

Maybe I'm the kind of customer dealers like. The way I figure it, I could maybe save a little by "rollin' my own", but I don't even own a breaker and rivet spinner, so that would be another $100 or so. My usage isn't all that high anymore...I've purchased exactly 7 loops in the last 12 months. At that rate I couldn't make it pay for a long time.

On the other hand, at $13 a loop, the dealer is probably making only a couple of bucks, if you count labor...barely enough to account for overhead, let alone profit. I get to B.S., get the industry news and looks at new equipment and tools free. And when I phone there at 5 minutes after closing to order a part, I don't get any guff.

That's worth something to me. Just my $0.02.

who should you buy from?

I agree with eyolf in that I always look to do my business where I get more than just a good price. Most times if asked about prices they will match those mega outfits because they want and need the volume. They provide information and pointers and are there for other needs. Also don't forget about the guys that contribute to this forum. They provide a vast knowledge base and offer it as a free "service" so why not support them over some mail order or 1-800 place. Nice of you to post a link to some discount place but look at the big picture. Is CC posting information here to help you or any others ? (I don't think so)

Making loops and loyalty

In Los Angeles there are saw dealers about every 20 miles in any one direction. Less than that if you include Lowes, Home Depot, Do it Yourself, and what ever else there is out there.

Most local shops don't handle the bigger saws and barely speak english. Most repair guys in the back room where I go need a translater since my Korean, Spanglish, Chinese is non existant.

I usually go mail order. I bought loops from Canada and I am very pleased. Shipping is offset by not paying a sales tax of over 8%. Everytime I pay taxes they ask me the amount(s) of product(s) I purchase. They , California legislature wants to start taxing mail order and internet sales.

Maybe I will get a post office box in Nevada if they start this crap.

I obtained more advice from www.arboristsite.com in the last year than the last 10 years at all the shops around here.

Just answering a request for help!!

And I certainly have no affiliation with Commercial Cutters. And I do most of my business locally, except for chains, bars and sharpening (I sharpen myself)

Please don't Assume!!

What about the other links that are peppered throughout this forum? Any personal vendetta is lodged against CC with your post?

Kindest Regards,

Mark

ps, the local shops became so unethical with sharpening, all three of them, that I had to buy my chains elsewhere and start sharpening myself

Tony Synder,

I am I little puzzled by your response. Do you always pay full "list" price for items that you purchase ? Although I agree with what I believe your itention was. What I have interpereted is that if we purchase items off the internet then do not expect local dealer support. I agree with that. What I do not agree with is not giving customers a good deal. I believe it is awful hard to stay in business by "goughing" customers. In my area we have two Stihl dealers. I can assure you there are huge differences between the two. I checked the price of a part they pay $2 for. One charged me $7.50 for it and the other charged me $4. It is pretty obvious which one I purchase from. The one that charged me $4 is a multi-generation business that will be in business for many more years because of there honest prices and honest business dealings. When I bring a box in to them to be shipped they charge me $1 over their cost. Many times they forget to add the dollar and just charge their cost. Needless to say I frequent them with all my business. When I leave their shop the sign on the door says "thank you for your business" and "come again" I just wish they were also a Husky dealer. I did like my Husky dealer until he started to have a problem with "creative" billing. I believe in a cash deal and do not run a line of credit. I ordered some items from him. When I picked them up I paid for them. A month later I got a bill from him that was for twice the price of the items and did not specify what it was for. I called immediately and the assistant told me that it would be taken care of immediately. The next month I got another bil and at the bottom the owner hand wrote "Please Pay". I took the bill in and threw it on the counter. The assisant just shook his head and said "I do not know what he was thinking". Needless to say I really try to avoid giving him business. I know I have rambled on a great deal here. My basic thought is a dealer can stay in business for many, many years even if he does not charge inflated prices. I still believe customer service and loyalty stands for something. That is why we just spent $300 for a combine part from the local dealer that we could have driven 100 miles to get for $100.

Bill

Lostwater,

I make my own chain, at $200 per 100 feet, a 20 inch loop costs about $9, only $4 cheaper than ready made...

It only takes a couple minutes to make a chain, but it's nice to be able to make loops anytime you need to, and to do repairs.

Back