Chain rotation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toby

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've got a Stihl 460. There is resistence somewhere on the chain rotation. It's a new chain and the bar hasn't been used that much. Someone told me there are probably burrs in the bar causing this. Is there a special tool I can buy to clean this up myself or should I take it in? I don't really care for the local dealer and would like to do it myself if possible. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I use my raker file for that, but Pferd got a special tool for it.
I think Baileys sells them ,,,,

Check if the blade is not "pinched" somewhere.Remove the blade from the saw and put upright with the chain on it and turn slowly,you can see probably where the chain is hard to rotate.Check also if one or more drive links are not damaged if the chain has been used few times.To clean the groove ,i use a hacksaw blade,works great.

Check if the blade is not "pinched" somewhere.Remove the blade from the saw and put upright with the chain on it and turn slowly,you can see probably where the chain is hard to rotate.Check also if one or more drive links are not damaged if the chain has been used few times.To clean the groove ,i use a hacksaw blade,works great.

Good tips :)

Check the drivers on the chain real careful for burrs, even if it is brand new.

Sighting down the rails of the bar with it off of the saw should give you some indication of a pinched area, and possibly any burrs on the rails will be visible also.

Have you checked for resistance off of the saw, or only mounted on the saw? is it possible that you have a buggered up spacer plate guard thingy made of sheet metal that goes against the bar betwixt it and the side cover?

Chuck

It's more than likely a bend drive link or a pinched bar.You can usually repair a pinched bar with a heavy screwdriver.

A bent drive link can be coaxed back into position with a vice.It doesn't take much out of alignment on a drive link to cause binding.

Loosen the chain just a tad bit and roll it slowly around by hand until you find the obstruction.Lift the chain slowly off the bar,where it lifts hard or binds is where the problem lies.

You might take a screwdriver and slide it all around the bar groove. Any pinching will be detected. Like others have said, check the drive links for rough edges (you can feel them). Lastly, be sure the chain is made for this particular bar (stuff happens!).

If everything looks and feels good put some white grease in the bar groove and on the chain, reassemble, and be sure the oiler is working good when you crank it up. The chain/bar/sprocket will either break-in, or break.

Also check where the chain is put together. Sometimes people will over tighten the tie strap and cause the chain at that point to bind.

You might take a screwdriver and slide it all around the bar groove. Any pinching will be detected. .....

Or a Stihl raker guide, at an angle - any pinching in the groove will be detected.

I never use those for my rakers, as the Pferd/Husky/etc single tooth type works much better, but I use one for cleaning the bar grooves.....;)

Last edited:
chain resistence

Thanks for everyone who gave feedback on this. Greatly appreciated.

Back