Chain Score

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Was going to keep quiet about this as I thought it might be an ongoing thing, but seemed a one-off mistake rather than a clever loss-leader bit of promotion to attract website traffic. Months ago when I bought a 25' roll of .050 3/8LP chain from the Archer website I saw they had 25' rolls of .043 3/8LP listed at $0.00. I had no .043 bars at the time and figured it was a mistake so ignored it. I was ordering a 16" Tsumura lo pro bar from them for a dead MS251 I just fixed up, and saw it again. Was going to get an .050 bar, but I thought, what the hell, order the .043 bar and see if the chain really is free. The order processed, but I still thought they might cancel it. Mentioned it to a forum friend here, and he jumped on it too and they let him order one roll, and then listed it as sold out. Seemed like it might have been some secret promo thing, waiting for someone to find it. But then he found a 14" Tsumura bar listed for $0.00, the only other thing on the site listed free, and ordered a bunch cause they didn't limit it. I tried ordering a couple too for the hell of it. They initially accepted then canceled all his orders and my second order, and relisted the bar at $32.98. But they did honor my first order of the paid for bar and free roll of chain, which is arriving today. Kind of amazed those errors stayed on their site for months without anyone trying to order them before, but maybe no one orders through the site much. I wish it had been intentional, I think it would be a good viral promotional idea for companies to hide a limited stock of a couple of random products for sale on their sites for free out of hundreds or thousands of items, without announcing it. I might start doing it with some of my least expensive woodworking products to improve traffic on my site, things like coaster sets or trivets or cell phone/tablet stands. I stopped even trying to sell them on the site anyway and just give them away as gifts most of the time.

Back