Chain sharpeners....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an old 511a great results. I think on most grinders you have to make a few adjusments on the back side of the chain from time to time and thats about it. Good lighting is very important.

:agree2:

After I grind the first link I'll take a light and shine it on it to make sure that it gets a good grind.

See, I can't use a file handle, screws me up. I have a nice callus built up in the palm of my hands (I switch hands filing from side to side)..
When I work with my good friend Dave, I use his files and gas and such but my saw..I always pull the handle off the file and ding it into the woods and declare only girls use those things. Pisses him off every time..lol...

When I first started cutting wood to sell in the 1970's, I learned quick how to file a chain. Kind of like I told my wife about getting a fire lit while I was gone, you get cold enough, you'll figure it out. With me it was, saw gets dull, I either make it sharp or spend ten times as much time and effort cutting the same ammount of wood.

At first I used an Oregon file guide, but as time went past I got to be as good or better (and a lot faster) just using a file with a handle (even if sometimes that handle was just a used snot rag wrapped around the tang).

Once I was getting set to file a saw, don't remember the breed or anything. I'd cut some file handles from a busted sledge hammer handle; cut it into chunks about 3 inches long, drill a hole in the end, pound a file into the hole, and voila. I was smacking the file against the workbench to pound the tang into the hole in the handle; the file fell out of the handle, but stayed standing vertical on the workbench for a split second, just long enought for me to bring my hand down...and stick the file clean through my middle finger, right at the first knuckle. I saw what had happened, waved my hand around a bit (which hurt worse than jamming the file into my finger). Finally I sucked it up and yanked the file out of my finger.

My boss made me go to the hospital. Insult to injury, the doctor wouldn't even look at me until I spent twenty minutes washing my hands with his special hospital soap. Then he just shrugged, gave me a prescription for some antibiotics, and told me to come back if it got infected. Which it didn't.

I realize that's not a lot of help in terms of instructions, I guess the take home message is be careful even when filing a saw. Worst saw injuries I have ever had were while filing.

ha,ha that makes me feel alot better. I just ran my file into the palm of my hand the other day doing the same thing LOL

Back