Chain sharpeners....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmmmm, really? I can do an 18" chain in under 5 minutes fee hand filing in the field without taking it off the saw well enough to get surprised compliments from folks watching me work.

There is always someone who will be faster and better. The Granberg and Oregon bar-mounted file guides are very good for getting consistent angles. They are good for developing filing skills and confidence, and for periodically correcting some of the variation that hand filing (especially free hand filing) will produce. They have been around for a long time.

Welcome to A.S. Homelite410

Philbert

There is always someone who will be faster and better. The Granberg and Oregon bar-mounted file guides are very good for getting consistent angles. They are good for developing filing skills and confidence, and for periodically correcting some of the variation that hand filing (especially free hand filing) will produce. They have been around for a long time.

Welcome to A.S. Homelite410

Philbert

When I read your quote of me I realized that I might have come across as arrogant - please accept my apologies if it sounded as though I was one-upping or bragging.

My point was that I think folks can often do better once they get the swing of hand filing. I really didn't mean to "dis" Homelite.

When I read your quote of me I realized that I might have come across as arrogant - please accept my apologies if it sounded as though I was one-upping or bragging.

My point was that I think folks can often do better once they get the swing of hand filing. I really didn't mean to "dis" Homelite.

Not arrogant, really...I spent many years and $$$ on new chains, cuz I didn't know how to sharpen correctly, then I found AS...I find that using the Granberg, or any other similar file guides, I have to constantly tweak the height, have butched up many chains that way...

1) buy PFERD Chain Sharp file guide
2) sharpen chain
3) ????
4) profit!

KSSG.jpg

In all seriousness, I've used the Husqvarna branded version of the above for 2 years now and I'd never sharpen with anything else. You can sharpen the chain on the saw, which is huge. You can sharpen in the field. It's quick, does the cutters and the rakers in one step. And gets things very, very sharp. Pretty fool proof (gotta be a real talented fool to screw it up).

That's what I've been using for about a year now. Works for me. I want a second one for my birthday so I don't have to swap back and forth.

:cheers:

Well, y'all have convinced me. I have been using a dremmel thingy, but I just ordered some files and guides from Baileys.

(I also ordered a few other necessities. Wife isn't too happy with a $200 purchase, but it was time I got some good PPE gear, and as long as I've got the order, I should get a few new chains.)

Yeah, and as long as you're ordering, you need.... and .... and then some ....

That's how they get you! Bailey's is eeevil!

:hmm3grin2orange:

sharpener

speaking of sharpeners.......what ever happened to them aluminum stihl/homelight file guides? they were awesome, had the little guide marks to help you keep the angle straight...now days they have that idiot flat piece, or have the depth guage file along side of it..i just want that old fashioned file guide....they worked best for me....

Yeah, and as long as you're ordering, you need.... and .... and then some ....

That's how they get you! Bailey's is eeevil!

:hmm3grin2orange:

I hate Baileys because their stuff gets delivered when I am not home. That dreaded call from my sweetie....."Honey, what's this box you just got?"

I have run out of excuses for packages showing up on the doorstep.

The worst part is that I can't seem to stay focused.....I go to order some wedges and a pair of gloves and next thing I know I am $200 into the hole with stuff I really do need.

Bailey's could throw me a bone here - some sort of proxy delivery option....I just don't trust the precious cargo to my neighbors (borther and parents might raid the stash).

nah, those are one of the ones i hate....the ones i like/want are aluminum and triangular..they all do the same job, i just like the old ones better...

The clamp ideas are great aswell as the plunging through a 2x4 or sappling. I use to hand sharpen but when I hired guys and had 5 or 6 chains a day to sharpen because the idiots couldnt stay out of the dirt I had to buy a grinder. I got the Silvey but cant remember the model number. If you know what your doing you can minimize the waste of chains. You have to keep the stone shaped and all angles proper. I have taken my chains to others to be sharpened and was never satisfied as it seemed they didnt know or care how they did it, they just wanted paid. When I threw a chain away it had teeth breaking off, thats how you get the life out of a chain and yes they cut as good as new until that point. I love the chain sellers letting people buy a new chain when they still have a new one. If I did sharpening for a living I would never ever have to buy another chain.

Philbert, I asked on another thread just today if anybody has ever seen a vise for an ATV rack. Guess what. That Bar and C-Clamp concoction holding that Makita on the picnic table will do just fine. I gots lotsa room on my quad to haul a couple of clamps and a block of wood. I'd send you one of those reps, but have no clue how. HAHAHAHA.

oldtimer, I'd F your method up somehow and it would end up disastrous for my saw. HAHA.

That Bar and C-Clamp concoction holding that Makita on the picnic table will do just fine. I'd send you one of those reps, but have no clue how.

Glad it will work for you - that is what A.S. is for.

(Not that I am soliciting for rep, but if you want to send some to someone, you just click on that 'cauliflower shaped thing' (supposed to look like a scale) - the one in the center- at the bottom of their signature/avatar block on a post that you like).

Philbert

Philbert, I asked on another thread just today if anybody has ever seen a vise for an ATV rack. Guess what. That Bar and C-Clamp concoction holding that Makita on the picnic table will do just fine. I gots lotsa room on my quad to haul a couple of clamps and a block of wood. I'd send you one of those reps, but have no clue how. HAHAHAHA.

oldtimer, I'd F your method up somehow and it would end up disastrous for my saw. HAHA.

I like it because the saw is held firm, and I don't have to bend over it. I stand upright and do both sides as I go. It isn't that hard after you try it a few times. All my landings have a file tree. Keep the gas and oil and my cooler under it too.

That's what I've been using for about a year now. Works for me. I want a second one for my birthday so I don't have to swap back and forth.:cheers:

Pferd is it for hand filing. Be sure to match the Pferd (or Huskvarna version) to the chain specs. I have two for different chains.

I hate Baileys because their stuff gets delivered when I am not home. That dreaded call from my sweetie....."Honey, what's this box you just got?"
I have run out of excuses for packages showing up on the doorstep.
The worst part is that I can't seem to stay focused.....I go to order some wedges and a pair of gloves and next thing I know I am $200 into the hole with stuff I really do need.
Bailey's could throw me a bone here - some sort of proxy delivery option....I just don't trust the precious cargo to my neighbors (borther and parents might raid the stash).

Forget it Wiley. You can't win. Idea: go to the local P.O. and rent a box. Cheap, quick, safe. PM me for the bill :monkey: Rep accepted in lieu of $$$ :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Have your tried a Save Edge? I would be interested in any file thats better than Save Edge, I havent tried a pferd but a used Save Edge is better than brand new Husky file.

Filing by hand is definitely the best way to sharpen a chain- when I rock a chain I use a buddys NT sharpener and then touch up by hand and you get those half inch shavings. One lesson I learned is not to wait until the chain is dull- depending on how much you are cutting- stop every hour or so and touch up the chain-its alot more fun and safer when the saw is sharp. Someone mentioned the Save A Edge files- I also highly recommend those files, you can feel the difference when holding the file and when you are sharpening. I need to reorder some files because my saw buddys keep "borrowing" them for their saws. One other thing- a older friend showed me a good way to make handles for the files- he uses a small limb (6"-8" long), 1/2-3/4 diameter from a hardwood tree and shaves the bark off -drills a little hole for the file tang(end) to go into and it works great and gives your hand a lot more area to hold the file.

wooohooo, ok, sent you a rep Philbert. I may have to send you another one though for teaching me how to send a rep. HAHAHA

What do you like about the 511ax ?

I have the Jolly Star which is the same thing minus the wheel wear compensation. It's a good grinder, but not perfect. I'm not sure if the perfect grinder exists, and if it did, I probably couldn't afford it. :dizzy:

I have an old 511a great results. I think on most grinders you have to make a few adjusments on the back side of the chain from time to time and thats about it. Good lighting is very important.

Latest posts

Back