Chain sharpeners....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, quite simply, it's a very solid, well-made piece of equipment. I stopped wasting money with stuff from tool shows, and the discount mail-order places. I don't know that it's the perfect grinder, but it is close, and it will last a lifetime if not abused. It ain't cheep, tho...
I agree, it is very sturdy and well made ...... except for the vise base, which is fragile as I learned the hard way. Just don't open the chain clamp too far or *snap*. :cry:

Funny how people feel strongly that their way of sharpening is best. I don't enjoy filing but I get good results with a grinder. To each his own.

In an effort to do more myself as a homeowner wood burner, I want to sharpen my own chains. A friend has a model he recommends. Techo-Mec, he says they make one for Oregon too. Some you can't change the angle of the grind wheel. Some you can adjust the angle AND the pitch of the chain etc.
Which one do you pro guys use or prefer?

Thanks.

This thread gets re-created about 10 times per year on this site. If you use the search feature you will find the same responses/opinions over and over again. They fall into 3 categories:

- 'buy the cheap grinder because it's cheap and it is good enough';

- 'buy the good grinder because better tools are better in the long run';

- 'I'm going to ignore your question about grinders and tell you to hand file your chains' (this last one then morphs the conversation into a filing thread, followed by a further off-topic discussion of files, filing guides, square ground/filed chains, etc., along with an inevitable rant against 'safety chain').

I have an opinion that falls into one of the categories. But what YOU need to do is to find a method/system/approach/tool that works for YOU. Since you have a buddy that already has a system/grinder, that would be a good place to start, especially if he will let you use his grinder. Get his help, learn how to do it. Then look around at other stuff if you are interested.

Lots of ways to do it and make it work, but you can't learn/do all of them at once. That will only leave you confused, with lots of accessories but dull chains.

Philbert

BTW, the company name is spelled 'Tecomec' - they make the Oregon, Speed Sharp, and Jolly Star grinders:
http://www2.tecomec.it/database/tec...146881B006856A08C1256E670054B6B5?OpenDocument

Last edited:
Oregon 511AX grinder

After doing much research on this site, I ordered the 511AX last week. It arrived Thursday (1/07/10) and I set it up Friday night in the shed. The first chain put in the vise snapped the base of the chain vise. I called Oregon today and they stated they have a batch of grinders from Tecomec (who make the sharpener for them. Seems they sent out a bunch with bad pot steel.(I hate it when you get a bad batch of pot steel!!! :) ) They are sending out a new chain vise right away and supposedly the problem has been rectified.

Just an FYI from a newbie on this site.....

Oregon 511AX chain vise defect

Just talked to Oregon Chain a few minute ago about the chain vise. Supposedly anything after serial number 608XXX-XXXXXX should be fixed. Now this is Tecomec supplying Oregon with the sharpeners. The last 6 digits are the month and year of manufacture. So my sharpener is 606XXX-042009, so it was made in April of 2009. Hope this helps people. I'll be happy to pass on new info as I get it.

Last edited:
After doing much research on this site, I ordered the 511AX last week. It arrived Thursday (1/07/10) and I set it up Friday night in the shed. The first chain put in the vise snapped the base of the chain vise. I called Oregon today and they stated they have a batch of grinders from Tecomec (who make the sharpener for them. Seems they sent out a bunch with bad pot steel.(I hate it when you get a bad batch of pot steel!!! :) ) They are sending out a new chain vise right away and supposedly the problem has been rectified..
AIDIOT, judging by your screen name I am not sure if you are serious or just making a joke.:confused:

But .... as I reported on my Jolly Star review thread, I had a similar problem with the vise base snapping on the 2nd chain. I thought it was my fault for opening the vise too wide (because the moving part of the vise then pushes against the vise base). But -- I also thought it was a wimpy design.

If you are not pulling our legs, then that is good information about the defective castings.

Tecomec sent me a replacement vise base under warranty. You know I'm going to be more careful with it in the future. The grinder is a very good product other than the vise base being somewhat fragile.

Philbert, you summed things up nicely as usual.

New Chain Vise

Recieved new Chain vise last week from Oregon. The package was labelled like this..........
P/N 526265
Tecomec P/N k00200103
VISE RETROFIT VISE ASSY
QTY 1
Made in Italy

So the vise retrofit label says it all!! Have run about 2 dozen chains through it and so far, so good!!

Now as for the screen name...........when I signed up for this website, I had just spent a fun filled day in the woods (and snow) cutting wood. I lost the chains in the snow umpteen times and lost time finding the things. The cell phone fell off and ended up in the snow only to found when my wife called to make sure I was still alive. Nut for the bar on one of saws went flying never to seen again (I HATE LOSING THINGS!!). Broke a chain hefting the logs with the machine. And then the chain vise breaks on the brand new chain sharpener (Wife loved hearing that........"Do you really need to spend $300 on a sharpener??!!"). So in short, I felt like an idiot for the pain and aggravation compared to benefits reaped for the day. Hence the screen name AIDIOT. I'm sure we've all had those days and can relate.

Just my $0.02

Pouring rain today, 50F and all the snow is going away. Next it will freeze and we'll have a skating rink. Love those tire chains!! :)

This could go in the 'tips' thread, but now that my kids are grown, I find all kinds of uses for their $3 plastic sleds. Great to keep tools, etc. out of the snow or for getting lost. Good way to carry stuff back and forth as well.

Also works well when I am working up in the attic to keep drill, bits, etc., from getting lost in the blown in insulation.

Philbert

Recieved new Chain vise last week from Oregon. The package was labelled like this..........
P/N 526265
Tecomec P/N k00200103
VISE RETROFIT VISE ASSY
QTY 1
Made in Italy

So the vise retrofit label says it all!! Have run about 2 dozen chains through it and so far, so good!!
Glad your grinder is back in action. Thanks for the update.

My Jolly Star is doing OK, too, with its replacement vise. Each time I use it, the chains turn out a little better than the time before.

Now as for the screen name...........when I signed up for this website, I had just spent a fun filled day in the woods (and snow) cutting wood. I lost the chains in the snow umpteen times and lost time finding the things. The cell phone fell off and ended up in the snow only to found when my wife called to make sure I was still alive. Nut for the bar on one of saws went flying never to seen again (I HATE LOSING THINGS!!). Broke a chain hefting the logs with the machine. And then the chain vise breaks on the brand new chain sharpener (Wife loved hearing that........"Do you really need to spend $300 on a sharpener??!!"). So in short, I felt like an idiot for the pain and aggravation compared to benefits reaped for the day. Hence the screen name AIDIOT. I'm sure we've all had those days and can relate.

Yup, I've had days like that.

P/N 526265
Tecomec P/N k00200103
VISE RETROFIT VISE ASSY
QTY 1
Made in Italy

Just my $0.02

Pouring rain today, 50F and all the snow is going away. Next it will freeze and we'll have a skating rink. Love those tire chains!! :)

Thansk, and welcome to the site!
Rep for ye.

Nothing beats a file for sharpness, almost no one gets it right the first few times, do a search there are plenty of threads on sharpening chain, search oregon and madsen's web sites there is some good info there. The big thing is not to give up, I'm teaching my teenager's how to hand file now and I'd forgot you just don't pick up a file and sharpen a perfect chain.
We've got an Oregon grinder but save it for only severely rocked chains, if a grinder is used properly it does a good job, but too many users are in a hurry and either shorten the life of the chain by taking too much off each time or just tempering/burn the hell out of the chain by forcing the grinding wheel through the cutter. Used correctly in combination a good file and grinder can work hand in hand. I suggest that learning to file properly will help you grind properly and vice versa. Either way your on the right track, the key to any successful cutting is a sharp/sharp chain. Patience grasshopper.

thanks

I have to say thank you all of you who suggested sharpening with a file. I have been using a grinder for years and after reading all the posts on here, I decided to try to file. WOW, what a difference. First few chains were not very good, but didn't take long to get the hang of it. Cutting wood is almost effortless now. Thanks again!

Granberg bar mounted file. 30 bucks some 7/32 files and sharpen. I just dremel the rakers every now and then. Paid for itself many times over.
:givebeer:

I got a couple of the Granbergs for $20 off of e-bay. I've yet to sharpen a chain freehand. I bought a used Oregon 511 grinder. It is a nice unit and does a good job, but I do 95% of my sharpening with the Granbergs.

Also use a Dremel for the rakers. I just give them a few quick shots when the chain quits biting. Not real precise I suppose, but it works well. If I take off a bit much , I just lay off the rakers for a few sharpenings.

The 511 gets most of it's use sharpening chains for other people.

Also use a Dremel for the rakers. I just give them a few quick shots when the chain quits biting.

I Never thought of using a Dremel just for the rakers. That sounds like a good idea to get both the height and curve at the same time.

Tried to rep you, but you are in my 'rep holding pattern' - somebody please rep him for this!.

Thanks.

Philbert

Granberg

I like the granberg also , makes a chain like new again.

TEDMI.

000_0764.jpg

000_0766.jpg

I have 2 so I dont have to change set.tings

I sharpen my .325 at 35 degrees and my 3/8 at 30 degrees. The nice thing with two units is it's always set up with the proper file and the settings are good to go for the first side of cutters. Still have to swap things around for the other side.

I also carry another one in my "mobile" chain saw tool box, but it doesn't get much use as its quicker just to put on a spare chain.

Latest posts

Back