Chain Sharpening In the Field

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the Pferd filing system that Baileys has right now for around $16. This tool is one of these somewhat awkward plastic devices that doesn't look like it will work.
Well I was wrong. Just like everyone said, a hand filed chain does better than my grinder per tank. I use the grinder if I rock a chain, or to bring all the cutters back to sqaure. More often than not though, I sharpen with the pferd and buy a dozen files too. I clean the file really quickly with a fine wire brush between use.
Love the thing, and it does the rakers at the same time as the cutter.
Jason

+1 for the Pferd "ChainSharp" system Jason. It takes a few minutes to get the hang of it, but then it is as good as any system including mechanicals. Husky uses the Pferd system with another cute name. Get extra round files and extra square files that does the rakers. One of the best inventions since _______.:clap:

In the field a "stump vise", also in Baileys or at most good shops is indispensible for holding the bar and saw. Ditto for touching up when hitting dirt, rot, or grit, or at least every 2-3 tanks. With Pferd it's simple and fast. Hey, it's a commercial.:monkey:

Back