chain sharpening wheels ???? Help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chugbug

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
A little confused , northern book that came with grinder says to use 1/8 wheel for .325 chain , the oregon manuel says 3/16 wheel and Baileys catolog says 1/8 , Why all the confusion ??? Who's right??

When I checked all three charts I was looking at 95VP ( oregon), which should be the same as H30 ( husky) and my woodland pro 20NK .Still confused !!

Thanks again , Mark, The northern book that came with the grinder says to use a 1/8 wheel with ALL .325 chain including 20LP , 95VP , THEY ONLY GO TO A 3/16 WHEEL FOR 3/8 CHAIN and then it lists both 1/8 and 3/16 for 3/8 chain . I'll see if I can find a Oregon 3/16 wheel somewhere.

I just bought a Northern grinder as an upgrade to the plastic Harbor Freight job. Most of my chains are 3/8, some are .325. I've been doing OK sharpening all of them with an 1/8 wheel. I was sharpening everything at 30 degrees. But a little recent investigation has lead me to believe that 35 degrees is needed in some cases. Guess that's what learning curves are all about.

Happy New Year.

I just bought a Northern grinder as an upgrade to the plastic Harbor Freight job. Most of my chains are 3/8, some are .325. I've been doing OK sharpening all of them with an 1/8 wheel. I was sharpening everything at 30 degrees. But a little recent investigation has lead me to believe that 35 degrees is needed in some cases. Guess that's what learning curves are all about.

Happy New Year.

I prefer 25% and 60% top adj angle but I cut a lot of hardwood.

Last edited:
I prefer 25% and 60% top adj angle but I cut a lot of hardwood.

I might use % when describing how much cutter life is left.

Depending on which versions of Windows one is using a
degree sign ° can be made by holding down the 'alt' key and
typing 248 or 0176 on the number pad, it should show up when the alt
key is released.

'I prefer 25° and 60° top adj angle but I cut a lot of hardwood.'

I figured this is what you ment, Sometimes it's easier for me to just write
degree cause...

I cheerfully admit to being a slow learner.
I do compensate by being quick to forget. :greenchainsaw:

thanks

key is released.

degree cause...

There we go:clap: learn something new everyday!

Happy New Year.

Try the 3/16 wheel, you will like it better for the chains I mentioned.

30° is what I usually use

I mainly replied to see what it took to make the sign.. Mine took the alt 0176 method.

Happy New Year.

A lot of Carlton chain (including some of Bailey's) is ground at 35°.

key is released.

degree cause...

had to rep ya for that info, always wondered how to use that symbol.
Thanks

This really throws a wrench in the works , thought I should use the same wheel dia. as the file I was using , according to woodland pro the 22NK you use a 3/16 file but a 1/8 wheel ?????????

WoodlandPro 20NK is designed to fit the latest line of high RPM saws. This chain is designed to run exclusively on narrow kerf bars. This bar and chain combination cuts a smaller kerf, therefore giving your saws more horsepower to cut with. The newly designed cutter makes fast work of both hardwoods and softwoods, yet stays sharp longer that standard chisel chain in dirty conditions. Chain is .325 pitch, .050 gauge, semi-chisel. 20NK will fit saws using Oregon 95VP series and Husqvarna H30 chains. 20NK will not perform well unless matched with a narrow kerf bar. 20NK chain sharpens with a 3/16" round file or 1/8" grinding wheel. Chain manufactured in the U.S.A. by Carlton.

Back