Chain storage ideas????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oregon_Rob

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I am looking for good, convenient ways to store multiple chains. Right now, I have a few hanging on nails, but want to come up with a better way before the cold and wet months get here and they start rusting.

:blob2:

In a coffee can with oil.
I've never done this, but I don't keep multiple chains for my saws either. I just sharpen them on the bar and replace when worn out. But I have heard many guys recommend this method for storing multiple chains long term, and seems the easiest and best way to do it.

Makes sense, I never had multiple chains before, but I now have a few different bars and am starting to do some milling, which necessitates the need for ripping chains…
Also Madens does the two for one chain deals, always a good reason to have more than one chain.

I use plastic zipper freezer bags. I'd never get by like treeclimber...If I wreck a chain, I'm not going to take the time during the day to restore it. I've always got a spare chain or two with me.

I've got an old canvas bag, I have no idea what it's original purpose was, but you can buy similar items at home improvement stores. Anyway this "purse" holds a scrench for every saw I'm likely to have with,(only takes 2), grease gun, spare plugs, basic maintence tools, the afore-mentioned spare chains, a couple of wedges, and oily sawdust, pine needles, and leaves. A monster improvement over my former system of letting stuff rattle around in the truck or stuffing it my pockets.

Based on the ideas I got from here a year or two back, I went to Lowe's and paid $8 for one of those canvas tool bucket pouches. Its got umpteen pockets both inside and out for carrying chains (I think I carry six) in the boxes, files, wrenches, measuring tape, gloves, goggles, ear protectors; with a gallon of mix and a quart of bar oil in the middle. Its cheap, simple, stores well, carries well, and works like a charm.

Plastic bag and can

In the chainsaw case wrap them up in a plastic bag and spray them with WD-40 or liquid wrench. Put the plastic bag back in the box or wrap up in a towel. I take a coffee can and put them in there. I also have some military bullet magazines I bought cheap ($2) right after dessert storm which is great to store things in. They are all metal have a rubber seal and a carrying handle.

I like the freezer bag idea the best. I usually swap chains after sharpening, soak the newly sharpened chain in oil overnight, hang the chain to drain excess oil, and store in a 1 gallon heavy duty freezer bag. I'm not sure how long the bags will last, but I've been using some for almost a year and they're still holding out. Most freezer bags also have a marking band so you can mark chain pitch and length. There's probably a chance I'll ding a newly sharpened edge with all the handling, but I haven't noticed a problem with it yet.

John C.

Hello,
After I get most of the good out of a chain in the woods I take it and put it in a 5 gallon bucket of diesel fuel with a lid on it. I take them out as I need them, I use the spare chains for bucking up logs in landing. Sometime's I hit a rock or metal of some sort in a tree and do not have the time to file it out that same day so it goes in the bucket as well until I have a rainy day to fiddle around with them. Good luck Wade H

My wife bought a package of those "semi-disposable" Zip-lok "Tupperwares" to take her sammy for lunch to work. I appropriated a few to store my spare chains, since they are rigid, thicker than a plastic bag, so the teeth don't poke through, and the perfect size for coiling a loop of chain in it. I haven't had any problem with extra bar oil softening the plastic, but I suppose it's possible after an extended period. I think a dozen of them are less than $5. A little more expensive than the plastic bag, but much less possibility of any damage from wrenches, screwdrivers, etc. in the tool box from coming in contact.

Ill kick this to the top as I think its an ongoing problem. Very easy for your chains to get into a bundle that looks like a nest of breeding snakes.

How about in the original package?

I like the clamshell containers that the cheapo homeowner chains come in. Pickle the chain in bar oil. It won't rust, and it'll be pre-lubed.

You wouldn't want to store a competition chain that way. folded back on itself and such it gets dulled here and there.

I stick mine in an old 7.62 ammo can, but I like the idea of using the tupperware to keep them seperate, I can keep half a dozen of those little tupper ware containers in my ammo cans. My wife is gonna wonder where all her containers got off to. Or I may just be nice and run to wall mart and buy some new ones.

Kenn:angel:

I use quart plastic freezer containers. Clean sharpen dip in oil and put in proper container. You can write all chain info on the lid and store under the seat of the bucket truck. The disposable containers is a good idea. Makes it a snap to replace a chain. Just look at the lid.
Dave

Back