chain stretching

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my 455 is .375 are you sure yours is .325?

I thought I was sure until I read your post. I got that from the Husqvarna website. Let me go back and look.

I went back to the husqvarna website and looked at the 455 rancher and the 455 and the site both say 325 pitch. Dont get me wrong, I am new to saws, Maybe I am looking wrong. How does one figure out what the pitch is if there is no website, what I mean is, can you look at the chain and know?

Last edited:
Husqvarna 33, 36, 38, 40, 41, 42, 44, 45, 49, 50, 51, 55, 55 Rancher, 57, 133, 136, 140, 141, 154, 234, 238, 240, 242, 246, 254, 257, 261, 262, 335, 336, 338, 339, 340, 345 (.325 Pitch), 346 (.325 Pitch), 350 (.325 Pitch), 351 (.325 Pitch), 353 (.325 Pitch), 357 (3/8 Pitch), 359 (3/8 Pitch), 360 (3/8 Pitch), 362 (3/8 Pitch), 444, 445, 450, 455 Rancher (3/8 Pitch), 460 (3/8 Pitch), 1400, 1600

I am real confused now, I got the above from Bailey's site but the Husqvarna site says the pitch is 325 yet the Bailey's site says its a 3/8 pitch. Any ideas?

Is there a way to look at the saw and tell what the pitch is?

Are you letting your chains cool down before you adj ??? If you aren't' they will just keep on stretching...

Nope, didnt know that was an issue

Last edited:
With the slack adjusted out of the chain, you should be able to slide the chain by hand easily and smoothly around the bar. If your chain pitch is not matched to both the drive sprocket and the bar nose sprocket, then the chain will not move smoothly around the bar, and in actual operation both chain and sprockets will be quickly damaged.

the bar will be stamp with the correct size chain. in your case all 455's from blowes will come with 72x3/8x.050.

the chain will seem dry with the oiler cranked be the chain will still move freely.

:cheers:

I am real confused now, I got the above from Bailey's site but the Husqvarna site says the pitch is 325 yet the Bailey's site says its a 3/8 pitch. Any ideas?

Look on your bar. There should be some numbers stamped into the bar indicating pitch, gauge and number of drive links.

JQ

Look on your bar. There should be some numbers stamped into the bar indicating pitch, gauge and number of drive links.

JQ

I will look on the bar. I did finally figure out that Husqvarna website is just wrong. Every aftermarket chain and bar company I looked at last night listed it as .375

When you adj a hot chain, the chain when you set the saw down for the night shrinks back while cooling off and could bend the crank. When breaking in a new chain run saw at fast idle for about 2 or 3 minutes let cool down,adj, cut wood till chain becomes loose, let cool down adj ,and repete this once more ,chain should be broken in????

Last edited:
When you adj a hot chain, the chain when you set the saw down for the night shrinks back while cooling off and could bend the crank. When breaking in a new chain run saw at fast idle for about 2 or 3 minutes let cool down,adj, cut wood till chain becomes loose, let cool down ad,and repete this once more ,chain should be broken in????

Thanks. I appreciate that.

Back