chains, easy explanation?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skinnykid02

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Is there an easy explanation of chain saw chains? I mean there is different pitches and gauges on chains?

How do the different pitches and gauges cut differently or different wood.

I use Oregon chains from walmart, they are S49.

Is there a better chain/pitch/gauge to cut fire wood with, maybe faster or better?

Or if no one cares to explain it, is there a place where I can read about it?

Thanks.

With regard to the pitch, larger pitch generally gets run on bigger saws. Chain manufacturers generally dont recommend 3/8" for saws under 50cc. Most manufacturers will tend to put .325 on saws up to about 60cc.

The easiest thing to run is 3/8, 050. It's almost universally available, and you can always pick up loops for cheap ($12-$13) at Bailey's.

MGF

Wow you are the man, thanks!

Now isn't there different types of cutter teeth on a chain? I noticed on Baileys site that some are specific for cleaner work areas and some are not. (if I read it correct)

semi chisel has cutters that don't have quite the same point. They don't cut as fast but are much more tolerant of grit and sand.

Chisel has sharp, pointed cutters that tear through wood very quickly. These are best for clean, green wood, but dull very quickly, especially if you hit ground.

If that grapple load you were talking about is going to have been skidded, you're not going to want to go at it with chisel.

I tend to use a semi-chisel just because I do a fair amount of cutting in downed wood which has some sand and grit on it. It's nice to have a sharp full chisel though--it's amazing how fast something like Oregon LGX or stihl RSC tears through wood.

MGF

Chisel has sharp, pointed cutters that tear through wood very quickly. These are best for clean, green wood, but dull very quickly, especially if you hit ground.

Chisel also work better in softer woods. In some Aussie hardwood, especially those that absorb silica inside themselves, two cross cuts and the chisel is slower than semi chisel. In milling the chisel is faster for about the first 3 ft then about the same for the next 3ft and then slower after that. In these situations across a working day you can cut more wood with a semichisel than with straight chisel.

i'm soooo glad i found this site!

this site rocks! i don't have to ask many ?'s, all i have to do is read. alot of knowledge bouncing around here. i'm addicted to it. thanks.

It's very good, I agree. the "search" button will help you get answers quickly if they've been answered before, and saw manufacturers and chain/bar makers often have very good datasheets. The Oregon one is a lifesaver and makes a pretty good all round primer on chains in general. Welcome, pull up a seat and prepare to give away all your money in order to buy more saws.

Latest posts

Back