Chains sharpening poll?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you count strokes when filing?

• Total voters

alderman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
When sharpening a chain by hand, I file the first tooth until I can feel the file run smoother, usually 3 or 4 strokes. Then I file the rest of the teeth with that same number of strokes.

Who counts their strokes when hand filing?

Being a machinist with OCD, I sharpen the smallest tooth first till its sharp. I then measure with a pair of calipers and then try and get the rest close to that. Depth gages and angle are set with a FOP

I quit counting long ago.
Chain would never cut straight.
Now I just go till I feel the file glide smooth through the tooth.
When it goes through silkie smooth then it's done.

Being a machinist with OCD, I sharpen the smallest tooth first till its sharp. I then measure with a pair of calipers and then try and get the rest close to that. Depth gages and angle are set with a FOP

How long does all that take?

I always count strokes. Doesn't mean I always stop at the same number, though.:biggrinbounce2:

My OCD requires me to count and I usually try to do the same number, but if I have a bad cutter or did a poor angle, I'll add a few strokes, and count the number of strokes that I added.

If I want a really sharp chain I find "counting" and "cutter or file feel" are no substitute for making sure there is no edge glint left on a cutter. In the field, for a quick touch up I count strokes, but in the shop I wear a magnifying head set and file till there is no cutter edge glint. I only worry about cutter length if an individual cutter looks way too long and then I bring it into line with the others. I prefer no glint over a cutter being too short.

Yeah I hate shortening a bunch of cutters for one or two that hit metal or something. I just sharpen most of the time til no glint with naked eye and then set the rakers if I had to take quite a bit off the chain. If the chain is just dull I hit it 2-3 strokes and go on. I haven't really seen how cutter lengths being different with the same raker settings make it cut crooked.

let a buddy use my Stihl on our last camping trip. I needed as many as 12 on some tooth to get it back to par.

I didn't supervise his cutting, so I asked him the other day what happened, he said he filed it when he was done, the i realized what happened he used a 5/32 file on my .325 chain.

Sharpening a chain by hand ?? like by holding a file and doing it ??
I left the dark ages long ago and now only count the seconds , about two seconds a tooth is it,no strokes.
funny thing is i did buy a brandy new file this week,just in case the electricity goes out or the battery dies..
hope i never have to use one again :(

Back