chainsaw carving - best saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hepcat

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am a chainsaw newbie, looking for a saw to start carving with. Did my chainsaw course on a Husqvarna 346 with a 15" bar, and since then have used a Stihl 021 with a 12" bar and a Stihl 026 with a 15" bar.

Saw will be used mainly for carving medium sized bits of wood, maybe also cutting firewood once a year. Can someone recommend a decent saw please? I've been looking at a Husky 340, 345 or 350 with a 15" bar to start off with, as I have been told to buy either Stihl or Husky.

Thanks,
Joe

I haven't talked to this guy for years, but last time I did, he used only Stihls. His small one was modified with a carver's bar, but still a Stihl.

He does some amazing stuff - best I've ever seen. If you go to Yellowstone and see a well done carving in one of the lodges, it's probably his.

I once watched him take a pine log - about 12" diameter and maybe 26" long, and in 30 minutes turn it into a very nice racoon peeking out of a log, all while keeping up a very entertaining patter to the crowd. He makes it look easy.

This one is really cool:

ITreeMon.jpg

The inside joke is that the Indian chief's face is the face of his father in law, a retired fire cheif who known to all as "Chief".

This is in Idlywild California.

(He picks a mean banjo, too.)

ok, thanks all - what is a decent small Stihl please? Is the 021 still available, or does it have a new number?

Thanks,
Joe

I just bought a truck off a guy who carves, and he uses a Husky 350. I'm a Stihl guy, so I think an 026/260 or the MS210 or 250, even the MS180. I don't know anything about chainsaw carving, but I'd think that weight would be the paramount concern, over hp or torque. All of these saws are 10 lbs or less.

And I'd say that you'r better off with an entry level Stihl than an entry level Husky in the 1xx series, as those are actually Poulans.

Jeff

Hi Hepcat,

I'm not a "chainsaw carver" but I use four different models to block out and do some detail work on my sculptures - Makita elec, Stihl elec MSE180C, Stihl MS180 & Stihl 260.

I use the 260 to block out with and cut firewood. I cut about 3 cords per/yr and the largest carvings I use it for are 12" in dia.

If ones budget demanded, you could get away with one saw......assuming you didn't cut very much firewood and weren't blocking out big stuff. A 260 would work. Block out & cut w/ stock set-up then change bars, chains & sprockets for detailing. BUT, you'd be carrying around a lot of weight you don't need for detailing. A pound or two may not seem like much but after a while, it makes a big difference.

Ideally, you'd want at least two saws for carving - one for blocking, one for detailing. Just as an example, a 260 could handle some firewood and blocking (w/ no worry of changing bar, sprocket, chain) and something like a MS200 rear handle w/ carving bar, chain, sprocket for detail. The MS170/180 work well too but are of a bit less quality than the 200.

Conversly, in the Husky line up, the equivalent to the above would be the 346xp & 336.

I should also mention that Redmax has a new saw out set-up from the factory to carve detail. Supposed to be extremely light and has been getting rave reviews.

Carving saws

Hi all, first post for me & seen the topic so I thought I would jump in & have a question of you also! I have been carving for a few years & started with a Husky 335 XPT Californian, a 45cc in disguise! it has a few design flaws but with a 16" 1/4 tip & chain it has served me well & is still used. I also have the most common carving saw on the market which is the Echo CS346 with the same bar & chain as the Husky. Just last Fall i picked up the 3200EZ Redmax carver & it is awesome to carve with. Super low weight, balance & vibration & I have a 12" dime tip Sugi bar on it but the backs of the cutters must be taken off to allow the full potential of carving with any dime tip. I just got a Stihl MS200T & an MS44 1 Magnum & haven';t even had a chance to try the MS200T yet but will. I have heard of a number of problems with the MS200 already so I will see what happens with mine. The question? What is the main difference bedsides cc's (I think) of the Husky 394XP & 395XP? I am looking at picking ione of them up for big wood. Also the fellow that carved the tree in Yellowstone isn't the only one as I have a good friend out on Vancouver Island doing one as we speak for them.
Thanks, Robbin

Welcome aboard, and thanks for dragging this old thread up. I don't remember seeing that totem pole before, so maybe I missed it. I didn't have the whole pic onscreen, and was admiring how good it looked, then I scrolled down to the bottom of it and saw the people standing there and realized how freaking big it is. I have no idea what the answer to your question is, but I bet someone from across the pond will. He knows who he is.

I've done a little research. I believe that the 395 has a semi-transparent fuel tank, and some of them the side chain tensioner. Both are 93.6cc.

Appreciated

Thanks for the help Tom. My main concern was answered in the cc's & yes that totem is a big one for sure. I do some in Ontario, up to the 22' level so far.
Thanks again, Robbin

No problem. Sounds like the location of the chain tensioner might change from model to model. Where in Ontario are you?

Ontario

Hi Tom, I am located about 20 - 25 minutes North East of London in a small speck called Brooksdale. It is 5 minutes North of Embro on the Embro Rd. Where are you from? I think it says it on the original post but not sure as it doesn't show the same in the reply mode?
Thanks, Robbin

New York

Ahhh now I see New York
Hi Tom, I am located about 20 - 25 minutes North East of London in a small speck called Brooksdale. It is 5 minutes North of Embro on the Embro Rd. Where are you from? I think it says it on the original post but not sure as it doesn't show the same in the reply mode?
Thanks, Robbin

Back