Chainsaw chain question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wdfccf73

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What causes a brownish film or coating on the top, behind the leading edge of the chain tooth? Am I doing something wrong when I file my chain? It seems to cut good, feed good, with decent chips....

I hand file my chains, as I am a novice but learning. I have been hand filing my own chains for the past 3 years now.. I see this happening on occasion.

As always, Thanks to everyone who helps with all of the awesome advice!!
Chris

:givebeer: :cheers::cheers:

What causes a brownish film or coating on the top, behind the leading edge of the chain tooth? Am I doing something wrong when I file my chain? It seems to cut good, feed good, with decent chips....

I hand file my chains, as I am a novice but learning. I have been hand filing my own chains for the past 3 years now.. I see this happening on occasion.

Chris

oil???????

Happens to all of mine sooner or later. My guess is it's just material rubbed off the wood that builds up. I've never given it a second thought. Doesn't seem to impede cutting. :)

Yes, both of my saws seems to be oiling properly..

I agree, it doesn't seem to affect the cutting.. Just curious if I'm missing something that I should be learning...

Thanks!! :)

Heat from the chain and wood getting a good dealing to,if its cutting and you having fun,thats my friend is a good thing:blob2:

Agree on the sap. Seems to be worse when cutting softwood.

Chris

I say the chain is dull. It always happens on dull chains. If the wood is dry it happens sooner.

Yeah, I'm with the sap, oil, heat, yada, yada, too.

FWIW, I use a small brass brush to "un-spooge"(?) my chains before filing to both spare the file the crud and to also have a better look at the chain for defects and weirdness.

"Spooge." A new term for me. I like that. Yeah, it sings!:clap:

Poge

Yeah, I'm with the sap, oil, heat, yada, yada, too.

FWIW, I use a small brass brush to "un-spooge"(?) my chains before filing to both spare the file the crud and to also have a better look at the chain for defects and weirdness.

"Spooge." A new term for me. I like that. Yeah, it sings!:clap:

Poge

Just sharpen the chain, run it in fresh wood and the teeth are clean.

Spooge is good. When you're filing the chain, clean the spooge off one cutter so it is shiny - then you'll know when you've done the chain!

I see it on my chains when I cut bigger wood for longer periods of time, Im going to guess its oil/sap/dust kinda all heated and stuck on there. When I have been doing fuels reduction recently where you spend more time moving brush than cutting and the chain stays cool, it does not show up.

That wood be sap.
:agree2:

Yep!!! If your cutting pine,,,sappy wood,,your gonna get that.....I milled some pine last Oct. and it dont hurt a thing,,looks like crap,,but trow it tru some hardwood it'll wear off.....

Sap. If you happen to cut sappier wood than you normally do sometime, you'll see more of it faster. I used to clean it off [diesel or turpentine....which is in sap] and gently brush it off with a wire brush. I don't any more. I never saw a degradation in chain performance and cleaning if off looked better but too much trouble. We have mostly pine and spruce around here, so 98% of what I cut is that. Now and then I'll come into a beetle kill tree that will have produced mucho sap in its attempt to kill off the beetles and the stuff melts from chain heat and solidifies on the cutters. No problems that I've seen, however.

By the way, you can get some of the same stuff on your bar. I do clean that off periodically. Same deal, turpentine or similar and after sitting a while, it will come off.

Last edited:
Back