Chainsaw chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Markhait

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was directed to this site from another site because I was told you guys (no offense women), know your chain saws.

My question is...are there any guidelines that tell you what chain pitch/gauge to use for specific applications? I've looked, but cannot find any. I have a Stihl with a 20" bar with a .325 pitch .063 gauge chain. I'm going to be cutting red oak all summer. Large blanks of it. Should I look for another chain pitch/gauge to make this task easier/more efficient?

My chain cuts good, but I like having the best and am always looking for better.

Any help is appreciated.

the big question is, what saw do you have that this is for? if its a stock 026 or something small like that, you dont want 3/8 chain on it. you may allready have the best setup as it is.

Its less a matter of right pitch chain for the application than it is the right pitch for the saw. So, with that in mind, whatcha running?

There has been lots of discussion here over the years as to what the best displacement and HP break-points are for different chain pitches. Opinions abound, obviously. In my experience with the sort of stuff that we see in the lower peninsula of Michigan, it seems that 60cc is about the time to go from .325" to 3/8" on a stock saw.

Odds are that if your saw came with .325 it is probably best suited to stick with that. Some saws (Husqvarna 455 Rancher, for example) try to jump to 3/8" too soon and it ends up being more than the motor can pull, especially in hardwoods.

Had a guy with a !8" hardnose on a 51 Husky real serious about putting .404 on it, he had the clutch drum for the larger rims and all. I just didn't have the right gauge .404.
Since Stihls are only sold by qualified dealers, this gentleman should have the bestest bar and chain setup for his model saw. Oh, shucks he doesn't specifically say he has a Stihl bar and chain.

NWCS
if its a stock 026 or something small like that, you dont want 3/8 chain on it. you may allready have the best setup as it is.
Is that because it will reduce power output to the cutters?
I have an 026 PRO. I put a 20" bar, 3/8-.50 semi skip, now that I have put that combo on and have run it and had time to think about it I don't think that I am getting 100% efficiency out of the cutters.
What you think?
Good post Markhait.

it's because 260 is not big enough to pull larger teeth chain, as least not around here with hardwoods.

although there are a few that swears by using 3/8 on their 260.

the set up u got works good.
if u want to try it. put a micro bar and 95vp[.50 gauge]
on it. ive got both and opt for the 95vp .
the sock issue.63 cuts well also. so its just a matter of whether u want to experiment .

with an MS260 or 026 i recommend a 16" bar with full comp .325 chisel chain.
something like Carlton K1L. running a shorter bar will let you get more power out of the saw due to having to move so much chain. for hardwood a 20" sounds very taxing on the saw to me. every 2 " of bar takes roughly 4" more chain (counting both the top and bottom rails of the bar)

on a modified saw like an NWCS woods port or a WHS stage 2 i would recommend a 16" bar with 3/8 full comp chisel chain. killer results that way. i can not make comparisons to any builders other than Dean's work and my own, since i have not run saws from any other builders.

here is a picture of the Carlton K1L chain mentioned (taken from Carltons website and cropped way down for quick loading)
K1L1.jpg

Most of us run a 16" or 18" bar on the 026/260 but others like the 20" as it keeps them from bending over so much when limbing.

16" makes big difference

i just cut up a bunch of cherry this afternoon with my 041. the first thing i did was take off the 20" bar & chain and drop to a 16". The cutting speed difference is immense. My advice: go with the shortest bar you possibly can.

I hate seeing these 40-55 cc saws in big box stores with 18-20" bar & chain. Someone is sure going to be disappointed if they try to cut oak or cherry with one of those.

Chisel Chain

Well, after many years of personal cutting I finally bought some chisel chain. Maybe I'm dreaming, but it seems to cut much more aggressively and get more out of the HP.

I'm careful with the tip...np problems so far..
Wilson

infomet: you are not dreaming. chisel chain makes for much better production when kept sharp and maintained.

On my 260 Pro

I am running 18" bar with full skip 3/8. Works like a charm until I get into something over 12" or so, then it bogs a bit. This is with the muffler opened up a touch. You gain a little bit with the .325 chain, I tested both .325 and 3/8 on my saw:

4 cuts on 8 1/2 thick pine as follows (all chains were fresh sharp at 30 deg, and .025 on the drags)

.325 full comp :34
.325 full skip :38

.375 full comp :43
.375 Full skip .37

for comparison purposes only, my 460 did the cuts in :13

The reason that I like the full skip on my 18" bar is that the 66 drive link works out even on the cutters (lefties, righties). The full comp doesn't.

My .02 worth :hmm3grin2orange:
-Pat

It'll probably take patience to get through red oak especially when the bar is buried in it. My MS290 w/18" and .325 sure took its time. If I could arrange oak more often, I would have to get a saw with more balls. (Not meaning to unsult your 026/260 - they're great saws).

patrick's time trials

patrick,

you time trials tell me what i've always believed. if your time has any value, and if you cut a lot of firewood, use the biggest, most powerful saw you can that won't wear you out. you'll do the job in 1/3 the time.

i use my 041 with 16" bar for anything bigger than 5-6" in diameter (up to the length limit of the bar), and my echo 4400 for trimming 6" and below limbs off. the 041 is 61cc and the 4400 is 44 cc and the 061 is about 3 times as fast despite 3 decades of use.

I run an old solo 647 (50cc class), .325 full comp.
40+ cord/season. Works good. Thinking bout semi skip.
Any help appreciated. Thanks all.

Back