Chainsaw chaps--ouch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately, if I do vounteer work, I have to wear the chaps. The inserts in jeans are not considered to be acceptable....:([/QUOTE]

Who do you volunteer with that makes you wear the chaps? I volunteer with Southern Baptist Disaster Relief and they wont let us operate a chainsaw without them. Good rule.

I just got the Labonville full wraps...I love 'em!! I ordered 36" even though my normal pants length is only 30". They are just long enough, so be careful to follow the measuring directions (measure from your waist to your ankles). I was surprised at how comfortable they are. They are not an inconvenience, if anything, I prefer the extra padding for kneeling down. Nice to have in this chilly weather too.

I have never even had a close call with a saw. But I have been hurt before....it's always over before you even know it's begun. I can't risk being out of work. I couldn't really afford to buy the darn things. I can afford to be out of work even less though. Good investment!:D

Received a pair of Husqy pro forester full wrap chaps for christmas, and theyre pretty comfortable and very nicely put together, quality. Ive never owned a pair of chaps, but this year after dropping a cedar on a very steep hill, and managing to knick myself with the saw while trying to keep balanced on the uphill side and stay clear of the tree as it rolled, decided it would be a very good investment. Very easy to cut yourself really deep, and bleed out because of such a devastating injury. Heck my friend took a top handle saw to the hand off throttle and that did approx 40 stitches and nerve damage.

I have the Stihl ProMarks as well; and No matter what saw is going they are on. No matter what price, it is cheaper than replacing my leg.

Unfortunately, if I do vounteer work, I have to wear the chaps. The inserts in jeans are not considered to be acceptable....:(

Who do you volunteer with that makes you wear the chaps? I volunteer with Southern Baptist Disaster Relief and they wont let us operate a chainsaw without them. Good rule.[/QUOTE]

Pacific Crest Trail Assc. which works under the Forest Service and follows their rules. So, I wear the regular chaps when doing that, and the inserts when getting my firewood or working around on my place.

I have so far, never injured a chap. I try to keep it that way. And yes, I've endured the "then you must not cut much" comments.

I remember a lesson given to a young logger. He wanted to run saw so they gave him the saw and a pair of chaps and put him to work chasing on the landing. He'd already been versed in the ways of the saw. At the end of the day, the chaps had a couple of cuts. He was told that he apparently was not ready to run saw since he was careless enough to hit his chaps, and back down into the rigging he was sent. I was impressed. The guys on the landing had a short conference amongst themselves as they looked at the chaps.

great story's and info,keep it coming.......GOOD STUFF everyone should know and read.

Why I bought my chapps

View attachment 270872View attachment 270873View attachment 270874

This is why i bought my chaps. I have the Work Safe from baileys. Bought them after the fact.

I cut with a lot of people who don't wear them. Although now that I do wear them a close friend of mine did start wearing them. He actually did bump his thigh from wide open throttle (no trigger pulled, was throttling down). The Kevlar fibers wrapped around the chain and snuffed out the engine instantly.

The other people that I cut with that don't wear them wont make fun of me either. I tell them there is no time to long for cost to high for safety. They all agree and understand. I personally like them for bucking through the brush. Keeps the brier's and pikers' from stabbing me in legs.

Unfortunately, if I do vounteer work, I have to wear the chaps. The inserts in jeans are not considered to be acceptable....:(

Who do you volunteer with that makes you wear the chaps? I volunteer with Southern Baptist Disaster Relief and they wont let us operate a chainsaw without them. Good rule.[/QUOTE said:
Would they let you ran one without a Chain brake?

Last edited:
View attachment 270872View attachment 270873View attachment 270874

This is why i bought my chaps. I have the Work Safe from baileys. Bought them after the fact.

I cut with a lot of people who don't wear them. Although now that I do wear them a close friend of mine did start wearing them. He actually did bump his thigh from wide open throttle (no trigger pulled, was throttling down). The Kevlar fibers wrapped around the chain and snuffed out the engine instantly.

The other people that I cut with that don't wear them wont make fun of me either. I tell them there is no time to long for cost to high for safety. They all agree and understand. I personally like them for bucking through the brush. Keeps the brier's and pikers' from stabbing me in legs.

nasty,but could been worst,yes CHAPS for me...cool or not,if they work its worth it,PERIOD!............THANKS FOR SHARING,HOPE ITS HEALED NICELY....

I just got the Labonville full wraps...I love 'em!! I ordered 36" even though my normal pants length is only 30". They are just long enough, so be careful to follow the measuring directions (measure from your waist to your ankles). I was surprised at how comfortable they are. They are not an inconvenience, if anything, I prefer the extra padding for kneeling down. Nice to have in this chilly weather too.

I have never even had a close call with a saw. But I have been hurt before....it's always over before you even know it's begun. I can't risk being out of work. I couldn't really afford to buy the darn things. I can afford to be out of work even less though. Good investment!:D

Got a pair of the same from Labonville after just barely touching my upper left leg while cutting down tornado tangle and avoiding other volunteers. Slightest scratch possible, but 'nuff said. The light went on.

I'd never call them "comfortable" except maybe for the first 15-30 minutes when the temps are in the teens. It's all relative, though. They're infinitely more comfortable than any emergency room.

Another member who shall remain nameless said that he didn't want full-wraps because of greater heat retention. Can't see that- you wear them for an hour or two at a time. Chain would seem to have an easy time spinning the lower part around. Lower leg injury can immobilize you for years.

I've run saws for yrs and never used chaps or had a close call. This past October that all changed. A trip to the ER and some fancy
stiching from the doc was all the convincing I needed to get a pair of chaps... Use 'em all the time now.
My nephew had a pair for 2 yrs and never used 'em untill I got cut.

How much is your insurance copay for a trip to the ER?

That is the question my dealer asked me when I asked if chaps were worth it. Bought them, and use them any time I cut.

Would they let you ran one without a Chain brake?

Thats a good question. As far as I know the Southern Baptist Disaster Relief does not monitor what kind of saw we use. They do make you go thru a chainsaw class before you can volunteer in the field. The class consists of teaching you how to use a saw, and use it safely.Then there is a film with abuncha blood, guts, and gore of people that were not safe.
One guy ran the saw up his leg to his crotch and cut his thing off! Caused me to buy a new saw. At that time I just had one saw. A 1980 model Lumbard with no chain break, chain catch to catch the chain if it came off, or the handle bar deal where you gotta have your hand on it before you can squeeze the throttle. They try to keep us safe.

Thats a good question. As far as I know the Southern Baptist Disaster Relief does not monitor what kind of saw we use. They do make you go thru a chainsaw class before you can volunteer in the field. The class consists of teaching you how to use a saw, and use it safely.Then there is a film with abuncha blood, guts, and gore of people that were not safe.
One guy ran the saw up his leg to his crotch and cut his thing off! Caused me to buy a new saw. At that time I just had one saw. A 1980 model Lumbard with no chain break, chain catch to catch the chain if it came off, or the handle bar deal where you gotta have your hand on it before you can squeeze the throttle. They try to keep us safe.

That part about the guy cutting his thing off is just awful. Until now I hadn't even thought of that as a possibility. I'll be looking in to some pants or maybe a cup.

Never wore em, never cut my jeans or body. I bought a pair of stihls and never cut without em now.

I wear a 34 length jeans, had to order size 40 chaps. I am 6'2. 36s were about 4 inches short!

I wear a 34 length too. Dealer told me 36 was big enough. LOL Way to short. My measurement of 42 would put them even with my jeans is this correct or should they be a little short of them ?

Back