Chainsaw education

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NJChris

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I found this site looking for info about firewood and chainsaws. 3 years ago I bought a house with a Central Boiler and have the fun job of feeding it! I really do enjoy working with the wood. I have no prior experience with saws.

Bought a Husky 455 Rancher and its been very reliable.

I am looking for info beyond the basic stuff. Not that I am having any problems, I just want to know better what I am doing and the proper ways to cut trees and such. I would go to a training course or online stuff, anything to learn more.

Any suggestions?

Like yourself I moved to a property with the only heat source being a pot belly fire place. The wood chops I do are monthly and we burn close on 1 tonne in a month. I enjoy it but it is almost a lifestyle as you need to plan a good half day at least to get organised and get some wood. I now suffer from CAD lol.

Oh and the only thing I have learned (so far) is get familar with the tachnicals of your saw and learn how to sharpen chains...

I found this site looking for info about firewood and chainsaws. 3 years ago I bought a house with a Central Boiler and have the fun job of feeding it! I really do enjoy working with the wood. I have no prior experience with saws.

Bought a Husky 455 Rancher and its been very reliable.

I am looking for info beyond the basic stuff. Not that I am having any problems, I just want to know better what I am doing and the proper ways to cut trees and such. I would go to a training course or online stuff, anything to learn more.

Any suggestions?

Welcome NJChris,
You came to the right place...there's over 50,000 members here...and a lot of them loooooooooooove chainsaws and cutting wood.
Use the search feature to look up the things you are interested in, and check out the other forums too for tips on cutting, climbing, woodstoves and home heating.

As for training and learning, nothing beats practical hands-on experience with the type of timber in your area as well as your personal goals...with a strong emphisis on safety. If we take our cutting seriously, we will go out geared-up with the right PPE and practice good, safe working habits.
A search here on AS will generate a ton of info that could help with your quest for the knowledge you seek.

But be warned...chainsaws can become rather addictive...if you have one now, soon you will want a another or two..."CAD" is the term...

I'm gonna send some "Rep" to ya...for a Howdy...and so you don't have just that one little green dot that says "newbie"...

Saw Safe Brother :cheers:

Reading about it in books and websites is helpful but CS are like sport and doing the real thing on a regular basis for an extended period is really the only way to be able to really understand principles and processes. For example, the average several times a year firewood cutter is unlikely to ever come to grips with sharpening even if they use a grinder, and not even many so called professionals know about or can deal with progressive raker setting. If anyone wants to learn how to sharpen they will need the opportunity of doing it often from a variety of perspectives, rocked chain, missing cutters, round - square, sharpening a chain that is near the end of its life etc.

One of the best sources on how to do things is to find an experienced CS user - maybe an old timer, and and just watch how he or she does things. Maybe in return you can offer to help lift and carry? Since they need to sharpen more than most, offering to sharpen for a CS miller would be one way to really get some serious sharpening experience.

A few years back I took a basic one day CS operators course run through a community college. The course focused on basic saw maintenance and safety. I did it mainly to appease SWMBO and apart from one or two small things, I could have given the course myself, but for someone new to CS it would have been a good introduction. Because it was many years since I had fallen trees what I mainly wanted was to refresh my myself on was tree felling - particularly trees close to buildings etc. I looked at the introductory fallers course offered by the college but could see it wasn't going to add anything that I didn't already know. What I wanted to take was the advanced fallers course but they wouldn't let me do that unless I had taken the introductory course.

Try to get as wide a variety of source of information and experiences as you . Even an old timer won't know everything and some of the things they do may have dated.

Like yourself I moved to a property with the only heat source being a pot belly fire place. The wood chops I do are monthly and we burn close on 1 tonne in a month. I enjoy it but it is almost a lifestyle as you need to plan a good half day at least to get organised and get some wood. I now suffer from CAD lol.

Oh and the only thing I have learned (so far) is get familar with the tachnicals of your saw and learn how to sharpen chains...

i am with you cody i didn't have CAD until i put a wood burner in. now i can't stop. i even get the withdraw shakes if i can't cut wood,,,
welcome to the sight chris. you will learn a lot here. and give it time,CAD will set in pretty fast

Welcome to AS!

You'll start off just wanting to cut firewood. First you'll start reading posts here on AS. Then you will have over overwhelming to cut 2-3 years supply of wood, but that will not be enough! Then CAD will kick in will all the money your saving by burning firewood.

It is a endless cycle, a really good one! :monkey:

Mike

I had that same saw and it works best when the the chain is sharp. Get a few chains and files then practice practice practice. have fun with it

Back