Chainsaw Envy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buckethead

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Recently, the other guys have been making fun of me because I have...well...kind of a small saw. It's a Husky 55 with an 18" bar and it has kept me satisfied but, lately I've noticed it sorta lags behind the bigger saws and it doesn't get quite as much wood as they do. I think I'm kinda getting.....chainsaw envy.

My wife assures me that, as far has she's concerned, my saw is plenty big enough but, I know she just saying that to protect my feelings. Boy, wouldn't she be excited if I surprised her with a bigger saw for Mother's Day! I can just imagine the look on her face as I pull out the big new saw and proudly display it for her! I bet she'd be speechless.

I realize that this is opening quite a can of worms (it'll prolly be safer to talk about politics or religon) but, what would you guys suggest for a "bigger saw?" I don't need a 48", 9 hp monster....I guess a 20" bar with around 4 hp is were I'd be looking. I like my Husky but I also use Stihl at work and like them as well. BTW I would keep the Husky 55 too.

What do you guys think?

Karl

I think you're right....
She would be very surprised with a bigger chainsaw for Mother's Day.

I suppose, once you show her the Mother's Day chainsaw acquistion, you could simply explain, that now you're REALLY ready to get WOOD for her on Mother's Day.

Bill

I think a chainsaw is a perfect Mother's Day present, like a set of wrenches, wrap it up real nice, strip nekkid (like go Gypo!), and serve the feast (make sure its herfavorite foods not yours) with a good bottle of wine, can of whippin' cream, flowers (not in da hair though, thats sortta, um, passe), make sure the bed is all pimped up, hey! Then after, while yer camping in da yard with the woof start eye-balling up all the trees that need thinnning :D Hey, theres a reason I'm still single :givebeer:
:D

:cheers:

Serge

How long have you been married? My wife and I have been married 14 years and I believe she isn't really interested in my ability to get wood anymore.

She is not impressed with the size of it..........and even less interested in quantity.

I have thought about decorating the wood to make it more appealing - but have not yet decided that it will help any. She seems to have developed some kind of "wood apathy".

Recently, the other guys have been making fun of me because I have...well...kind of a small saw. It's a Husky 55 with an 18" bar and it has kept me satisfied but, lately I've noticed it sorta lags behind the bigger saws and it doesn't get quite as much wood as they do. I think I'm kinda getting.....chainsaw envy.

My wife assures me that, as far has she's concerned, my saw is plenty big enough but, I know she just saying that to protect my feelings. Boy, wouldn't she be excited if I surprised her with a bigger saw for Mother's Day! I can just imagine the look on her face as I pull out the big new saw and proudly display it for her! I bet she'd be speechless.

I realize that this is opening quite a can of worms (it'll prolly be safer to talk about politics or religon) but, what would you guys suggest for a "bigger saw?" I don't need a 48", 9 hp monster....I guess a 20" bar with around 4 hp is were I'd be looking. I like my Husky but I also use Stihl at work and like them as well. BTW I would keep the Husky 55 too.

What do you guys think?

Karl

Is this really about saws????? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Like Rope, I believe a bigger saw for mothers day will lead to some :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :buttkick:

Seriuosly - to make enough difference vs the 55, I suggerst the 372xp, as some others did.

Last edited:
Isn't there a song somewhere about this?

Younger Women,
Faster horses
More money?

I'm a country boy. So, I don't relate to the above ballad. But, the country boy in me just says:

NEW SAW,
BETTER FISHING POLE
ANOTHER SHOTGUN

So, I go along with your analysis. You definitely NEED a new saw. :greenchainsaw:

God, it is nice to see such thoughts in print. This world definitely needs more friendly words. :chainsaw:

Nate

She'll love a new saw...prolly as much as the Zero Turn mower I bought my wife last mothers day.

I used to get e-mails all of the time saying that I could increase the size of my saw just by clicking on the link. I finally did and they sent me a saw enlargement kit after I made 3 easy payments.

Its kind of like an Elastostart. I'm not sure my saw is any bigger yet, but if I keep pulling and pulling...

Oh sheesh, I'm gonna get banned.

Pardon my linguistic skill Msr. Saw Troll:

Hey Sagå Troll, ordet «treet» i Amerikansk Engelsk ikke har noe til å gjøre med chainsaws. Det er akkurat dum at slang som blir brukt av den unwashed blant oss. :givebeer: :givebeer:

Isn't there a song somewhere about this?

Younger Women,
Faster horses
More money?

I'm a country boy. So, I don't relate to the above ballad. But, the country boy in me just says:

NEW SAW,
BETTER FISHING POLE
ANOTHER SHOTGUN

So, I go along with your analysis. You definitely NEED a new saw. :greenchainsaw:

God, it is nice to see such thoughts in print. This world definitely needs more friendly words. :chainsaw:

Nate

Dat my friend would be Tom T Hall :monkey:

Boy you guys are just great. Based on all of your suggestions (bigger saw, better fishing pole, new shotgun, AND a zero-turn mower) I'm all set for gift ideas for her birthday, our anniversary, and Christmas! Not to mention I'm also learning Norwegian....this really is a great site!

Seriously, I like the suggestion for the 372XP and the MS361. The MS361 looks like a step and a half above my Husky 55 and the 372XP looks like about 4 steps up. Although the ability to go to a 28" bar if needed is attractive. Anyone else want to chime in with a suggestion?

BTW-I really like the "Wood Apathy" comment. There has to be a way we can incorporate that in to a T-shirt.

I think a chainsaw is a perfect Mother's Day present, like a set of wrenches, wrap it up real nice, strip nekkid (like go Gypo!), and serve the feast (make sure its herfavorite foods not yours) with a good bottle of wine, can of whippin' cream, flowers (not in da hair though, thats sortta, um, passe), make sure the bed is all pimped up, hey! Then after, while yer camping in da yard with the woof start eye-balling up all the trees that need thinnning Hey, theres a reason I'm still single

Don't forget the chainsaw chaps...remember safety first!

What do you guys think?

Karl

I would say the person that told you that was the invisible dancing fairy of DUMBA**.

Man I just snuck a new 372XP past my wife but she KNOWS and she better get something pretty good for Mother's day.

..........I gave her a 30-06 once for one of these holidays but that didn't go over very good. Never did understand.................

.........and last but not least? It's not the size of the bar. It's how you USE it.............LMAO!

Boy you guys are just great. Based on all of your suggestions (bigger saw, better fishing pole, new shotgun, AND a zero-turn mower) I'm all set for gift ideas for her birthday, our anniversary, and Christmas! Not to mention I'm also learning Norwegian....this really is a great site!

Seriously, I like the suggestion for the 372XP and the MS361. The MS361 looks like a step and a half above my Husky 55 and the 372XP looks like about 4 steps up. Although the ability to go to a 28" bar if needed is attractive. Anyone else want to chime in with a suggestion?

BTW-I really like the "Wood Apathy" comment. There has to be a way we can incorporate that in to a T-shirt.

If your gonna spend it ya might as well look at a 7900

Skip the 361 and go for a 372XP. My first real saw was also a 55, and it did very well on my monstrous .33 acre lot I lived on lol. My next saw was a Jonsered 670 with a muffler mod, and man, it was STRAIGHT downhill from there. That 670 was lightning in a bottle compared to the 55. The 361 is a nice saw, but a 372 will spank it all day long, is just as smooth, and is less than $100 more if you shop around.

I will always keep my 55, but it doesnt get much use with the 5100 around

Latest posts

Back