Chainsaw line-up. What is yours?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I enlarged the muffler opening and re-adjusted the carb. Other than that it is how it was from the factory.

my lineup is 026pro-036pro-440mag-046mag-660mag. all i would add for a tree co. is a 200t climber. if you cant take down 99.99999999 % of the trees most tree co. do annually you got issues.

I have the 088 tuned at 11,800 rpm.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7bFM1lW8O9A" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

What some forget is that someone doing tree service work will be into a lot different things than cutting firewood. For instance, Saturday the boys and I were doing a job that involved clearing along a driveway and a lot of it was hedge. (Privet) This varied in size from 1/4" to 5" so we were working it over with machetes, loppers and a Stihl 018C, #1 son broke the chain on that so we went to an ancient Homelite XL2.

Anyway, a firewood cutter wouldn't be messing with cutting this hedge down level with the ground but that's what the customer wanted so that's what she got. So, in my opinion, a saw such as a Stihl 026 or a Husky 346 would be adequate for most firewood cutters. Sure a bigger saw would be nice but how much big wood needs to be cut?

The tree service needs to have a saw to match every potential situation so my take would be: top handle climbing saw, small limbing saw, 50cc class saw, 60-70cc class saw and a big guy for the occasional need (but when you need it you need it) Also a pole saw (manual and powered) and the assortment of loppers, pruners, machetes, mauls, and pretty soon there's no room in the truck for your lunch box...

My 3 saws... MS200T, 034AV Super, and 064AV

attachment.php

attachment.php

Lot of personal preference comes into it here. Many saws will do the job, just depends on conditions, usage etc.
One comment I can make is a big saw will often be necessary. I have many big Stihls and for more than ten years used an 084 as my pimary saw. We use the 660 alot but just recently I have aquired a 395XP. It has quickly become my favourite and I don't really know why. It just cuts darn good. Do yourself a favour and give one a try.

Al.

I have a 200T, 5100-S, 2 x 7900's, 1 x 390XP, 1 x 390XPG, 1 x MS660, 1 x 3120.

That is overkill. I do think however that any outfit needs two saws in the mid-large class. If you have one of them go down you have a backup - the smaller saws can't do what they do and the larger saws like the 3120/880 are too heavy for most applications. In my case I have 5 saws in that mid-large bracket so the 390XPG is going and as much as I love my 7900's one of them will go too. I'd love to keep them all but can't bare to see them sitting there with little use.
The 5100-S is a saw that could also be sold (but won't :) ). The other saws will do everything the 5100-S will, just with a bit of a weight penalty.

I'd say if you were going to run 3 saws in Stihl ideally you'd grab:

200T (small stuff)
MS441/460 (<32" bar)
MS660 (>32" bar)

If 4 saws jam a MS260/261 in there as well with an 18" bar.

With your current lineup I think an 066/660 may be all you need depending on the tree size you cut?

MS260
MS441
MS460
MS660
MS880
:smile-big:

You need a 200T Andrew :) Especially for those 4 foot Stringybarks old son...

Back