Chainsaw mfgs. Marketing...Anyone Understand it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dapper Dan

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
No brand wars here...see my sig line...I like lots of em. Only reason Huskys are not included in my lineup is cause there is virtually no interest or dealers in my part of the Midwest. I don't know anyone that owns one and only see them in the Walmarts, Lowes, Farm King, TSC, etc stores around here.

After hanging here and other internet sites, related to chainsaws, here is what I have learned (better said...my opinion). No names..you will have to figure it out for yourself.

Brand A: Similar to Harley Davidson marketing. NO online sales of any kind. Can't even buy a loop of new chain, online (cept on e-bay). Priced higher than other saws with similar specs. Old time company with TONS of dealers ranging from Super to extremely horrible. Buy it here or go :censored: yerself. Time tried and fire tested product.

Brand B: Another tried and true brand that pulls it's entire Internet marketing, that is (seemingly) mostly geared to the "pro" market, yet markets their low end saws at discount stores AND EBAY. (No shortage of "N.I.B. both low AND high end factory new with warranty saws there).

Brand C: Another excellent old time company that is off again, on again with the USA market. Excellent price point with comparable "big name" saws Marketing strategy of "Don't ask....don't tell" as regards online sales.

Brand D: Most all others that have either killed themselves off with A: poor quality, B: Poor or no service or C: No marketing plan.

As to brand A....I could understand their strategy, somewhat, except for the fact they sign up lots of stores (rental stores, implement dealers, etc) that are in no way better, as far as knowledge or support, than signing up a box store. It seems to me they also encourage said dealers to push the so called "homeowner" grade saws. Not so many years ago this same company ONLY had ONE grade of saw, instead of three, which is the reason for their "reputation". (in answer to my own question....probably due to our new, "buy it cheap...throw it away" mentality)

AS to brand B: Baffled...unless it is, again, (in answer to my own question....probably.... due to our new, "buy it cheap...throw it away" mentality) The money is (sadly) probably in the low (junk) end.

As to brand C: They seem (to me) to be trying to be dancing around with both trying to establish a customer base without totally undermining a dealer support base. ( a juggling act...for sure).

As to the rest...they will only stay alive because either the buyers don't care about anything but price or... they are good saws with no support or marketing... but have a "niche market" of knowledgeable, self sufficient chainsaw junkies, that know a good product....regardless of all the BS.

My guess is...Brand A will continue to prevail based on it's previous reputation.

The rest, I reckon, will sort it self out...one way or another.

The appreciation of fine machinery, prevalent here on AS, is (sadly) probably not in line with the majority of chainsaw buyers as a whole.

That make any sense (I should warn ya....I been drinkin)

Dan I understand your assessment good buddy. Marketing saws means nothing to me I just buy what I know and trust. I will admit the service varies from dealer to dealer but they don't go to the shop often. I just check specs and reviews from pro's and make my decision. Hypothetically, if you are a pro such as many of us here are, does marketing matter? I think not.

Last edited:
Just an observation. To stay afloat, companies like Husqvarna lightened up their saws, and made models that are less expensive to produce, and then allowed them to be sold without dealer support, TSC, Lowe's, etc.

One has to look at the "average" customer, to understand where a high percentage of the market lies these days.

Most folks that buy a couple of acres in the country with some trees on it, or decide to cut a few cords of firewood for home heating, etc, just want a saw. About all they will know about the saw they purchased, is the length of the bar. 9 out of 10 of them, woln't even know the model number, cid/cc displacement, power level, or anything else about it, other than where to put gas/oil. Half of them don't know where to tighten the chain, as most are nearly falling off the saws when we see them!

Some of these customers will know about the "legendary" names, like Stihl, or Husqvarna. They may investigate "low" end models from them, and even purchase them over the "Wild Thing" at Wal Mart. Hoping the entire time that for just a few dollars more they are getting a really nice saw, that will serve them for decades without any troubles.

This is why the major names in good saws make "low" end models, and their marketing stategy over the years has changed, so they can simply sell more product.

My opinion, if Stihl/Husqvarna, etc, relied completely on top of the line professional models of ALL of their equipment, they'd be in SERIOUS trouble in the current market......Cliff

Latest posts

Back