Chainsaw Mill with MS660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:givebeer: Synthetic 20/25 -1 ,never been a prob ,no smoke......and no headaches.......Although not particularly nice when the breeze is throwing any exhaust AND chips in your face, with 20/25 or 40 :1.

you'll notice in your owners manual recommended
25:1 other oils
50:1 Stihl
rec for NORMAL USE - MILLING NOT NORMAL USE
As you may know, milling is hard on the saw.Your running it flat out for maybe a 15 minute cut....depending on the log size and wood type !
Other guys may use 40:1 milling...their choice.I use 35:1 normal use.
I milled with a 66 mag for a few years.....mostly HW.....40:1 Stihl.......
was my pride and joy...regularly serviced...blew it up......was rebuilt .I don't specifically blame it on the oil .
When i check my jug or plug , after a good milling session, on 20/25 they're not carboned up ,as some may imply.
Paramount is the tuning.....MS660 lovely saw...you'll love it.
All the best with your new milling venture.

Most of my milling has been oak, cherry, and walnut, with some hedge, hackberry, cottonwood, and other stuff thrown in for good measure.

The 25:1 "if you don't use our oil" is basically to make the saw so smokey and smelly that you buy their oil. It also makes their oil seem more like a bargain. There isn't reality there, only marketing.

Mark

Part of my day job is to conduct research into dust and aerosols. I learned many years ago that just because air is visibly clear and doesn't smell doesn't mean there's not something there. Amongst the plethora of gunk that goes into all 2-stroke lubes are anti-smoking agents. What concerns me is that lubes like 20/25 are most likely just a synthetic lube with an increased anti-smoking agent content. This will cleverly mask additional visible smoke but does not necessarily mean reduced invisible particulates in the air, there is every likelihood that there will be more. The MSDS of 2 stroke lubes is interesting to read, pumping more of it and its combustion products into the atmosphere should be done for a good reason. Apart from advertising and anecdotal evidence I have seen no unbiased technical reports that convinces me that 25:1 produces any gain in saw longevity or cutting performance in modern saws.

Back